• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    So on another forum I browse through, a guy was asking about a dao cz 45 that he had just acquired, but didn't know much about. I love a lot of the older cz's, but had never heard of the 45. I know there are some CZ aficionados on here (hint hint snorko and birdsaway), and thought some of you could school me on these little gems.

EDIT: THIS IS NOT about the CZ 97 chambered in .45 acp, but the CZ (or vzor for yoi purists) 45 chambered in 25acp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_45

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Crap! a rep now? Anyway. I do not qualify as a knowledgeable CZ guy but the CZ-97 is the big boy .45 acp and i assume it is available in DAO.

Unfortunately the trigger reach on the largeer CZs is too great for my eastern European sausage fingers.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    CZ 97s are pretty big and mean machines! I have come close to buying one on a couple occasions but just never have. A friend owned one and it was really a nice gun to shoot. I have to stick to the 75s and 75Bs I guess.

th

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a 97b and it is a big boy.

Fun and accurate. Recoil is not bad considering it is sort of tank-like.

If I shoot a 75 after a session with the 97, it (the 75) feels waifish and small.

I'd like to do a Tanfoglio in 45 for comparison.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Ohhhhhh..... I've had a couple of those too. I really liked them. I wish I had one now. Great little DAO pocket pistol. :yesway:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yes, the CZ 45 is a little DAO .25. It is very similar to the Baby Browning. My understanding is that they cannot be imported anymore. You might want to check on czfirearms.us. There is a wealth of CZ knowledge on that forum. They should be able to answer any specific questions. I wouldn't mind having one just because I guess I have become a CZ fanboi. But I wouldn't depend on a .25 for anything. I think I would rather have a .22 to defend myself if those were my only two options.

As for the 97, it is a big gun. I had one for awhile and regret selling it. It was undoubtedly the most accurate .45 I have ever owned.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The CZ45 hasn't been around for years. I'm not sure if they were ever imported in any numbers or just brought in by private citizens since it was a product of the "Evil Empire" back then. The 68' GCA stopped a lot of importation of cool guns so if it was imported somehow prior to that it was cut off then. I had 2 back in the 80's. You could pick em up at gunshows pretty reasonably. I'd like to have another one. :twocents:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Saw one at a local auction about a year ago. I wanted it but dropped out when bidding topped $300.

Colt 556, Birdsaway and Snorko walk into an auction full of S&Ws and CZs, a brawl ensues

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Saw one at a local auction about a year ago. I wanted it but dropped out when bidding topped $300.

Colt 556, Birdsaway and Snorko walk into an auction full of S&Ws and CZs, a brawl ensues

I paid $150 for the last one I had back in the late 80's. :( But that was a fair amount of dough back then too.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I guess I would pick one up if it was at a very reasonable price. I can't say I have a real hankerin' for one. I don't have any confidence in the .25acp as a self defense round so the gun would serve no purpose for me.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    A Florida outfit called Intratec "made" (I suspect out of imported CZ parts) an American version in .25 and .22 (respectively called the ProTec-25 and ProTec-22) in '92 or so (about double the list price of a Raven at the time - around $119 street price). I had one of the .25s, and the firing pin would leave a mark on the primer of a chambered round during the course of a day's concealed carry in non-strenuous activity. I suspect the CZ originals would do likewise.

Other than that, a really nifty design - particularly considering when it came out. Long, moderately mushy DAO trigger pulls.

Top Bottom