• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I have finally decided to get into the .17 hmr game. I never owned a .17 hmr, always leaning to .22 WMR.

I found a CZ 452 American (which I consider a sporter) for $489.00 and a Savage 93 with the laminated thumb hole stock and heavy stainless barrel for $390.00. Both have left hand actions (I'm a lefty).

I have 2 CZ's--one, a 452 Lux, in .22 RF and the other, a 527 Lux, is in .223/5.56 which I am very happy with the fit, performance, and finish of both. My only experience with Savage was actually a Stevens manual cock bolt action single shot my dad kept in the hog barn for killing rats and pigeons and for the fall hog killing.

My primary shooting will be paper shooting off a bench or at silhouette targets with a little bit of crow hunting thrown in. Just trying to figure out which one (CZ or Savage models I listed) to buy. I know the differences in looks, style, and as some folks want to say--purpose.

I guess my main concern is the price difference. I read a lot of posts about how great both rifles are, my experience with my two CZ's are positive, and that old Stevens that got wiped down when there was a used grease rag handy and a bore swabbing just before hog killing was a gun every should have owned.

So my question is which one to buy--the CZ or Savage?

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I had this debate when buying a 22lr bolt guns so I bought e cz452 trainer and the fat barreled savage with laminated thumbhole stock. Needless to say I dont have the savage anymore. I do have 3 cz's now. The savage shot good but was big and heavy. I took it squirrel hunting once and said I would never carry that thing again in the woods. It wouldnt out shoot the 452 trainer. It functioned fine but was just cheap feeling compared to the cz but then again it is cheaper. It all depends what you want. Both are good rifles with different purposes.

Last edited:

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    If you have 2 CZs already I'm not sure why there is any question at all. My 452 is one of the most accurate rifles I own. From what I have seen the build quality between CZ and savage isn't even close. +1 cz

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    You will read a "lot of posts about how great both rifles are" depending upon which of them the poster happens to own. I have had both and both should shoot great and serve you well. As a matter of fact, every .17 HMR I have had (9 guns, 6 different brands) has shot great. However, two CZ 452s and a converted 10/22 magnum are the only ones I still have. The others were simply not as nice and did not shoot any better.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    You will read a "lot of posts about how great both rifles are" depending upon which of them the poster happens to own. I have had both and both should shoot great and serve you well. As a matter of fact, every .17 HMR I have had (9 guns, 6 different brands) has shot great. However, two CZ 452s and a converted 10/22 magnum are the only ones I still have. The others were simply not as nice and did not shoot any better.

How'd you get the convert to run w/o blowin' up?

And OP, CZ for my $.:yesway:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Well, I'm thinking that there is a $100.00 worth of quality difference in the CZ over the Savage.

Yes, there is a $100 difference in the rifles, and the cz is worth the premium.

when I was looking for a 22lr bolt rifle, I was firmly thinking the savage would compare just fine and I'd save $100. I went to gander mountain to compare since they had both in stock, and held them side by side. Needless to say, I don't own a savage. The savage feels like a toy. The cz feels like a good bolt action center fire (sturdy, overbuilt, quality, and it'll outlast me and I can hand it down to the next generation).

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    CZ. I own both and the CZ is the far superior weapon. Doesn't shoot better but just a better gun. The Savage will shoot just fine but for $99 I'd not think twice about getting the Czech gun.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    My bad, but in my OP I said that I have never owned a .17hmr. I've always always had/have rifles and revolvers chambered in .22 mag. I meant to bring into the conversation the advantage (if any) the .17 hmr over the .22 mag. I've read a lot of pros and cons on both calibers and I don't think the jury will ever reach a verdict.
    Another thought I had was the .22 RF high speed such as CCI mini mags and velocitors are very effective out to 100-125 yds. and my effective range with my CZ .223/5.56 is 300 yds. Old eyes do limit one's effective shooting range. I was wondering last night if I need "an in between" caliber.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I like Savage centerfires but their rimfires leave a lot to be desired. I would never buy one. CZ, on the other hand, makes quality rimfires.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    My 452 Lux in .22 RF has a single set trigger, but the 452 American is described as having an adjustable trigger. Can the adjustable trigger be replaced with a CZ single set trigger?

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I was wrong on the SST. The manual that came with it is for the452/453. I haven't had much time to fool with adjusting the trigger and wondered why I couldn't adjust it like my .223. Must have had a brain fart or sumpin. The trigger is adjustable but the 453 come with a SST. Wonder if they would interchange and if CZ would sell the 453 trigger. I'm sure a phone call to CZ-USA would answer my question.

Top Bottom