• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    I'm looking into purchasing one of these guns in the near future and was curious if there was a big difference between them. I'm on a budget, so cheaper is better but if the SP01 offers something that is worth the extra money, I would be more open to getting one. I've currently only shot the Cz 75 bd, so does the SP01 feel and act the same? Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    CZ75 BD has a decocking lever instead of a safety, the SP01 has just a safety lever. If you want to run first round DA on the SP01, you'll have to manually decock it. (There is the SP01 Tactical model, which is a decocker.) Decockers require more work/money to get as good a trigger as non-decocker models. The best trigger job on a non-decocker will be better than the best trigger job on decocker.

BD has a traditional beavertail, the SP01 beavertail is upward swept. If you'll be doing anything from the holster, the upward swept beavertail is significantly better.

The SP01 has significantly more weight out front and a thicker barrel, so it will be softer shooting and have less flip than the BD.

I'm a big CZ fan, but the BD isn't one I'd buy.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Biggest differences will be the decocker on the 75BD vs the standard safety on the SP01. Unless you are looking into the SP01 tactical model then the only real difference will be the full length dust cover with rail and full length guide rod on the SP01. Other than that they are virtually identical pistols internally. The SP01 will be heavier, the grip feels a bit longer and has a higher beavertail and OEM mags hold 18 instead of 16 for the 75BD.

Personally I own a 75B Stainless, a P-01 (compact version of the SP01) and a 2075 RAMI subcompact. All are outstanding pistols and make me look like a much better shooter than I really am. Either way what ever you choose you will not be unhappy. Happy shooting and welcome to the CZ family!

pat102ko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Westfield
    Thanks for the help guys! Maybe I will just stick to the cz 75 B instead of the decocker version. I wont be doing much, if any, holster type shooting. Its probably better to stick to the basics, since this will be my first handgun.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If this is to be your first handgun then I would recommend getting something that can fill multiple roles. While the 75 will certainly do that if you don't mind carrying a full sized pistol a compact is a bit easier to conceal. You may look into the 75 compact or P01.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The decocker vs. safety argument seems never ending when it comes to CZs. I had a fully tuned SP01 tactical but I sold it because I would prefer the safety model. I don't personally require a gadget to decock my guns. I do have a couple of models with decockers but that is because with those particular models I don't have a choice. Determine what you want to use the gun for and that will lead you to where you want to be. If it was my first gun I would probably go with Kawtech's advice and get something in the compact/P01/PCR size. Unless, of course, you are thinking of it primarily as a competition gun and then I would look at something in an SP01. If I was you I would become friends with someone who has a few different models you could shoot and help with the decision.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    BA - with the newer Omega triggers, I don't know that there's much difference with having a decocker vs. safety setup, is there? I've switched my P-07 to decocker mode from the safety option that was originally installed (just to be consistent with the way my P-01 is setup, which cannot be changed from a decocker). The trigger pull on the P-07 feels the same with either setup. Just asking because as Rob mentions above, I've heard more than once that the safety setup will always have a nicer trigger than the decocker.

Then again, I don't know how widely CZ is installing the Omega trigger system across the board. I like it myself... my P-07 squeezes much more to my liking than the P-01, which certainly isn't bad in single action. And neither have been modified, they are both factory stock.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The new Omega trigger is only currently available in the P-07, P-09 and a 75 Omega model. Although the 75 Omega cannot be swapped to decocker mode. The whole point of the Omega system was to have a smooth and consistent trigger pull. The Omega uses fewer moving parts thus less lateral friction so smoother trigger operation.

From CZ's website:
    The CZ 75 B Ω (Omega) features a simpler, more robust version of the 75’s trigger system. The interlocking design of the trigger mechanism’s parts allows for easy disassembly and reassembly without the need for tools, so taking the pistol down beyond a basic field strip is much easier than on a standard 75. Not only does this simplify maintenance, the trigger parts themselves are made of different materials, enhancing durability, operation life and reliability.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My personal opinion is that the Omega trigger is better out of the box without spring changes.. On an Omega I think there is little difference between the safety or decocker. I can't say that a safety model is always a better trigger, might be, not sure. I have heard the same about firing pin block/non-firing pin block models. I suppose a better shooter could feel more of a difference. There is a difference to me but it is slight. I do know the safety models are much easier to do upgrades on. I prefer the safety models because, occasionally at the range, I will actually use the safety. To me the decocker is about as useful as the loaded chamber indicator. I know if the gun is loaded because "it's always loaded". I have no use at all for a decocker and don't like an extra gadget on my guns. If I want to decock it I am perfectly comfortable doing it. I have done it a million times before.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    The new Omega trigger is only currently available in the P-07, P-09 and a 75 Omega model. Although the 75 Omega cannot be swapped to decocker mode. The whole point of the Omega system was to have a smooth and consistent trigger pull. The Omega uses fewer moving parts thus less lateral friction so smoother trigger operation.

From CZ's website:

That's kind of what I'm seeing as well, only the polymers and that particular 75 B have the Omega systems. I could *swear* I've seen a P-01 variant on one of the online gun websites that also had the Omega system. I just did a quick search and couldn't find it, though... must have been seeing things!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    CZ75 BD has a decocking lever instead of a safety, the SP01 has just a safety lever. If you want to run first round DA on the SP01, you'll have to manually decock it. (There is the SP01 Tactical model, which is a decocker.) Decockers require more work/money to get as good a trigger as non-decocker models. The best trigger job on a non-decocker will be better than the best trigger job on decocker.

BD has a traditional beavertail, the SP01 beavertail is upward swept. If you'll be doing anything from the holster, the upward swept beavertail is significantly better.

The SP01 has significantly more weight out front and a thicker barrel, so it will be softer shooting and have less flip than the BD.

I'm a big CZ fan, but the BD isn't one I'd buy.

I will have to disagree with you. Only your initial shot is DA. Second, not all DA triggers are created equal. Cajun gun works has the parts to improve the DA trigger on the decocker models. I have shot DA/SA pistols since I carried a 92FS in the service. I bought a 75BD for shooting USPSA.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    so, what are you disagreeing with?

That you need to spend more money to improve the pull on a DA trigger. For the 75 as an example. You can get a spring kit for not much, and will make a noticible difference. They also have hammer kits as well. Both improve both the DA and SA pull. I think that DA/SA guns are misunderstood. I'm not saying they are for everyone. I prefer them over safe action or single action pistols.

Top Bottom