CZ 75 SP-01 or SP-01 Tactical? (or other?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Really been eyeing a CZ as my first adventure into the SA/DA pistols. I blame the sickness on a visit to USDS and meeting churchmouse on the same day. I shot a CZ Shadow a year or two ago, and liked the feel, but never thought about it again for the most part. I'm working on getting some shooting time with a couple pistols before I make the final decision, but the itch is BAD.

Now being new to the SA/DA club I am faced with a decision. Do I got with the normal SP-01 with safety or get the Tactical with decocker? My current carry is a Glock 19, so I don't have the muscle memory right now to flip a safety. However, I'm sure that can always be changed with some range time. My first instinct was to go for the Tactical, but the more I think about it the more I lean SP-01. I figure with the SP-01 I can manually decock it to carry in DA, or use the safety and carry in SA cocked and locked. Am I wrong in my thinking here? Again, no experience so to speak with DA/SA other than reading. I'm drawn to the SP-01 for the accessory rail, the stock night sights, and extended beavertail.

If all goes well, in time this CZ 75 may be joined by a P-07 to replace my Glock 19 as an EDC, pending trial of the P-07.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I prefer the safety version and just carry at half cock. Without the decocker the trigger is just a little smoother and less parts. Can't go wrong with either.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    THe tactical also comes with night sights, if that matters to you (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd prefer the standard SP-01, or save up and get an SP-01 Shadow

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry my CZ's like Rusty does, on the half cock notch. But, I've found that I like the decocker more than the safety. I figure, if I'm going to drop the hammer to the half cock notch, I might as well do it with a pistol that's designed to drop it. All of my CZs are safety models except for the one decocker. I see more guns like the Tactical in my future though.

If I were younger and did not have sometimes shaky hands, I'd feel better about the safety models and just do what Rusty and most everyone else does and drop the hammer manually.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    THe tactical also comes with night sights, if that matters to you (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd prefer the standard SP-01, or save up and get an SP-01 Shadow
    Both the SP-01s have night sights now. I looked at the shadow, and while it has a fitted trigger it has competition sights and something else I wasn't a fan of....can't remember atm.

fuzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Picked up the SP-01 Tactical (decocker) a few months ago and it has quickly become my favorite range gun. An absolute dream to shoot. It will probably replace my M&P 9 full size as my home defense gun very shortly.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    SP-01 is pretty much the only gun still on my "must have" list. Like you, I'm not sure whether to go with the standard, tactical or save up for the Shadow. Either way I know I'd be happy and you will be as well :)

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The sp01 is not what I would want to carry, great guns, but I think between the weight and the bulk I would be walking in circles.

If you are going to get the trigger made nice, the first shot hammer down is not a big deal with a little practice, that is how I have been carrying my 75 compact.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I don't plan on using it for an EDC, but probably will carry it occasionally. The plan is, if I like it as much as I think I will, the SP-01 will become the home gun with a P-07 as an EDC. At the end of the day though, how many people carry a 1911 all day and don't have issues?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    At the end of the day though, how many people carry a 1911 all day and don't have issues?

I used to carry a full sized 1911, then a Sig P226, then a CZ75, then a full sized Glock. Now I EDC a G26 and on my days off my go to CC is becoming my Walther PPS.

Live and learn then carry lighter.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    At the end of the day though, how many people carry a 1911 all day and don't have issues?

Certainly some folks do, it would make me crazy though. I wonder how the 2 guns would compare as far as comfort ? I'm thinking the double stack sp01 may be a bit wider and the length difference would not matter, seems like it is heavier than a light 1911 and about the same weight as a standard all steel gun (from memory).

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Certainly some folks do, it would make me crazy though. I wonder how the 2 guns would compare as far as comfort ? I'm thinking the double stack sp01 may be a bit wider and the length difference would not matter, seems like it is heavier than a light 1911 and about the same weight as a standard all steel gun (from memory).

I believe its 2.5lbs if I remember correctly. Probably closer to 3-3.5 loaded, which would be about the same weight at a 1911. As for size, couldn't tell you.

At the end of the day though, this is just me getting into CZ's and the DA/SA pistols. End game would certainly be a smaller EDC much like the Glock 19 I carry now.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I noticed you jumped all over the one for sale in the classifieds. Perfect timimg. :yesway:

I did PM DaCoach. They have been very hard to find, so I figured if I did find one, I would seriously consider jumping on it. Nothing final, but wanted to make sure I put my name in the hat. I held one at USDS, none at Midwest Gun Exchange, none at Blythes, none from a few facebook FFLs, and none that I have been able to find at the online retailers.

I think when it comes down to brass tax, the difference between the safety and decocker are really just a personal choice, and without any experience I don't have a preference either way. One day maybe I will, and at that point I can always trade/sell/buy another.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have a few CZs. Personally, I don't use either device. I carry on half cock and lower the hammer manually. It's just what I am used to. I don't even think about using the decocker.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I carry my CZ's like Rusty does, on the half cock notch. But, I've found that I like the decocker more than the safety. I figure, if I'm going to drop the hammer to the half cock notch, I might as well do it with a pistol that's designed to drop it. All of my CZs are safety models except for the one decocker. I see more guns like the Tactical in my future though.

If I were younger and did not have sometimes shaky hands, I'd feel better about the safety models and just do what Rusty and most everyone else does and drop the hammer manually.

This is the line of thinking that brought me to the SP-01 Tactical. That said, I also have a sig p220 so a decocker is not foreign to me.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    They have been very hard to find, so I figured if I did find one, I would seriously consider jumping on it. Nothing final, but wanted to make sure I put my name in the hat. I held one at USDS, none at Midwest Gun Exchange, none at Blythes, none from a few facebook FFLs, and none that I have been able to find at the online retailers.

They come up very frequently on the Brian Enos forum classifieds, usually with the competition trigger mods done.

Top Bottom