• CZ 75 COMPACT/PCR VS 1911

• Total voters

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm obviously a huge Glock fan. It's what my wife and I carry on a daily basis.

BUT. I'm really wanting a all metal gun in 9mm. I'm looking at something fun to shoot on the range and something to carry every once in a while to mix it up. Ive been looking at the CZ for years now and they reliability is outstanding. However the 1911 is as American as apple pie. I want to stick with 9mm. All my other guns are 9mm and I don't want to have to stock up on another more expensive round. I know 9mm isn't a 45acp, bla bla bla, but it's better than a stick.

Which gun is going to be more reliable? Fun to shoot? And more bang for my buck?

I'm not a huge fan of manual safeties. Can I carry both clocked and NOT locked? I know the CZ has a firing pin block. So the trigger must be pulled in order to release the block. What about a 1911? It has a beaver tail safety. So why do you need 3 safeties on 1 gun? (Manual, beaver tail, the safety between your ears).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 1911 is a good choice but I am a firm believer in the .45
    I have 2 CZ's in 9mm and both are exceptional handguns. Both are fully cajunized so it may not be a fair comparison.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am a huge fan of the 1911 in 9mm. They are a hoot and no pistol lover is complete without a classic 1911. but you can't go wrong either way. CZ, Sig 226, HiPower, 1911 are all great.

You should carry the 1911 locked and cocked. Lot of discussion about the proper way to draw and grip the 1911. Lucky for me I know and learned from a couple of guys that know how to really run this platform.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    CZ-USA CZ 75 D PCR Compact - CZ-USA

Here you go, 9mm CZ with no manual safety. The sights are my only complaint, and there's not much aftermarket support. Sights are a pretty personal thing, though, so you may really dig them.

I would advocate NOT carrying something different "just to mix things up." Especially when going from a completely different platform. Thumb safeties are the devil for people who don't continuously train with them when they are put under a bit of stress. Many people think it won't happen to them, and then it does, I've seen it just from the pressure of performing in front of a class and I've seen it happen to people in real life. Similarly, if you're going to carry a gun with a decocker, practice decocking. I "decock" my issued Glock before I put it away out of force of habit, the fact there's nothing there to actually hit doesn't hurt in the slightest.

Carrying a SA with the thumb safety off is flirting with disaster. Think of it like driving with a big metal spike in the center of your steering wheel. If everything goes right, it'll never be an issue...but a small mistake could become a much bigger mistake. Get something obstructing the holster or the like and you've got a new groove in your leg.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I have a recently canjunized 75D compact and it is very sweet and fun to shoot.
    Only shot a 9mm 1911 one time at at fun shoot and I was amazed how easy it was to shoot.

Either one is a good choice.
    I've heard of some 9mm 1911's having magazine issues and feeding issues, but that may only be with certain brands or magazines.
    The CZ would likely be more reliable as a carry piece.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll add 2 more to your list of possibilities. 3rd Gen S&Ws or a Browning HiPower. The Smith's are rock solid and really fun to shoot.

I'll also agree with what BBI says about carrying a different platform. I had carried a striker fired pistol for a long time. Bought a 3rd Gen Smith and loved it. Great carry gun with an awesome trigger. But I was not accustomed to the manual safety. I didn't want to take a chance so I sold it and bought another striker fired pistol.

EDIT: There are 3 gen Smith's with no manual safeties, but they are DAO. Their triggers are great IMHO.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not every gun needs to be a "carry gun". It is perfectly alright to own something and enjoy shooting it because it is just plain fun to shoot.

OP where are you at in Southern, IN?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a 9mm Springfield. It is a joy to shoot, accurate and reliable. I shoot it a lot, even sometimes as a games gun. At the same time, I do not carry it. If I am going to carry a 1911, I go with the .45acp models. I would not recommend carrying a 1911 cocked without a safety engaged, especially one with a trigger job. A tuned trigger that only requires a 3mm pull length at 3-1/2 lbs, is just too touchy for me to feel safe carrying without the safety. (I also do not see a safety as a problem, Over the last 40 years, my thumb is on top of the safety every time I pick one up, total habit)

I can see a CZ75 series being a better carry gun. They are usually great shooters also.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I love 1911s, but for a 9mm pistol, CZ is the better choice. I have a CZ 75B compact and when fired from the half cock notch, the trigger pull length and weight are very similar to the first shot Glock trigger pull. As others mentioned above, the 75BD with the decocker would be an excellent choice.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I love 1911s, but for a 9mm pistol, CZ is the better choice. I have a CZ 75B compact and when fired from the half cock notch, the trigger pull length and weight are very similar to the first shot Glock trigger pull. As others mentioned above, the 75BD with the decocker would be an excellent choice.

If I get the CZ75D compact and carry it half cocked how many pounds is that first trigger pull? I noticed when I tried the non-decocker version that first pull was extremely long. I'm assuming from the half it isn't as long, but does it lighten the pull? Is it safe not to drop the hammer and keep it cocked on the decocker model? I still have the firing pin block right?

As far as the 1911, from the posts, I'm guessing there's no firing pin block, so if the hammer drops I'm getting a round in the leg? Can you recommend 9mm 1911 around the $800 price point? I don't have huge hands so the 1911 feels better, but I can always get thinner grips on the CZ right? I like the thought of, if I'm using it for home defense, if I pull the trigger and get a light strike I can pull the trigger again with the CZ.

Will I get better groups with the CZ or 1911 than I currently do with my G19. I'm not talking accuracy. I've been shooting for a long time and will never be more accurate than the gun in shooting. I know a lot of accuracy has to do with sight length and trigger pull.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    If I get the CZ75D compact and carry it half cocked how many pounds is that first trigger pull? I noticed when I tried the non-decocker version that first pull was extremely long. I'm assuming from the half it isn't as long, but does it lighten the pull? Is it safe not to drop the hammer and keep it cocked on the decocker model? I still have the firing pin block right?

As far as the 1911, from the posts, I'm guessing there's no firing pin block, so if the hammer drops I'm getting a round in the leg? Can you recommend 9mm 1911 around the $800 price point? I don't have huge hands so the 1911 feels better, but I can always get thinner grips on the CZ right? I like the thought of, if I'm using it for home defense, if I pull the trigger and get a light strike I can pull the trigger again with the CZ.

Will I get better groups with the CZ or 1911 than I currently do with my G19. I'm not talking accuracy. I've been shooting for a long time and will never be more accurate than the gun in shooting. I know a lot of accuracy has to do with sight length and trigger pull.
    The 1911 will outshoot the rest of them. Period

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Not every gun needs to be a "carry gun". It is perfectly alright to own something and enjoy shooting it because it is just plain fun to shoot.

OP where are you at in Southern, IN?

I live in Lawrence county.

I went to atterberry a couple of weeks ago hoping they'd have one to shoot, but they didn't.

Top Bottom