• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I recently upgraded the trigger, springs, and sights on my CZ75B. I made the mistake of letting a "friend/amature gunsmith" do the work. Everything went well until he decided after shooting it that he needed to make a slight adjustment to the rear site. The sight was stubborn and upon beating the hell out of it he left a MAJOR scratch along the side of slide. Its at the rear near the serrated area that you grip. The scratch doesn't affect the function of the gun. My "friend" has agreed to help me fix it on his dime. My first thought was to replace the slide. It would appear that there is no way to just buy only a slide. I have emailed czusa along with their custom shop to inquire further. This is a sharp gun and its looks are very important to me. How else could it be fixed and how much would it cost? I'll post a couple pics shortly. as you can see there is damage to both sides. The first picture does little justice. its deep and long!
    picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Scars are character. Make up a story... you know, like how that scratch is from the .45 round that glanced off your gun while in a shoot out protecting your family from an evil doer.

:):

Sorry it happened. Buying a brand new slide seems drastic though... but, if your friend feels that guilty about it.

;)

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I would make 2 posts about it :D

Seriously, wait until CZ responds. If it were me I would send them the slide and have them fix it, on your friends dime.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Oh man! Seems like with anything serious, plumbing, electrical, guns, etc it's not a good idea have a "friend" do it. I would go to a legit gunsmith and have your "Friend" pay for it to be fixed properly. Hopefully you don't have to replace the entire gun.

Feel for you. :(

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Is it just the finish, or is it gouged into the serrations?

I'd think Cerakoting the slide would be a cheap way to fix it if it is just the finish. I see you are in FW, otherwise I'd say PM AllenM and see what he could do for you.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Why are there three identical threads going???

Why are there 3 identical threads going???

Why are there 3 identical threads going???

Last edited by a moderator:

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    You thought about replacing a slide because it got scratched? Just take it over to Allen from Diamond Collision and get it refinished. Then enjoy shooting it.

Btw, don't let your friend touch another gun of yours.

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    WTH is going on? Am I seeing TRIPLE????? :scratch:
    I think due to the fact that I originally posted the thread from my mobile device and didn't close my browser before logging on to my pc to upload the pics the thread somehow multiplied!

Needless to say my "friend" and I both learned something from this mishap.
    Thanks fellas I'll pm Allen for more info.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Since the OP called his friend an amateur gunsmith I'm assuming he was not paid. I don't see why he should be expected to pay for all of the repairs. Unless maybe there was extreme negligence with a ball ping hammer.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    CZ-USA will tell you that they do not refinish firearms, and to call someone who does.

Me personally, I would send the slide, or even the entire handgun to AllenM and have him refinish it.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I agree, if you have someone do a job for you, for free, they are doing you a favor. I would not expect a friend to pay 100% to have it fixed, then why would he ever do anything for you ever again? He takes all the liability, and does you a favor? But you did say that he offered to pay it, not that you asked him or demanded it of it.

Chalk it up to a learning experience. I think refinishing sounds better than buying a new slide on your friend's dime.

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree, if you have someone do a job for you, for free, they are doing you a favor. I would not expect a friend to pay 100% to have it fixed, then why would he ever do anything for you ever again? He takes all the liability, and does you a favor? But you did say that he offered to pay it, not that you asked him or demanded it of it.

Chalk it up to a learning experience. I think refinishing sounds better than buying a new slide on your friend's dime.

Lol I was just looking for advice on getting the gun fixed. Not who should or shouldnt pay for it or how to treat my friends. I think I used the term "friend" very loosely in this thread by continuing to use the quotations. The guy is an acquaintance and willingly offered up his services. I traded him some other work for it. If I'm not mistaken I think you need some sort of license or an ffl to charge for gunsmithing. I'm looking into some coating options and am not planning to keep this guy from feeding his kids. He offered to replace the slide. Thanks for everyone's input. Even the conselors for their life coaching haha

Top Bottom