• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'm curious what users think of these two. I have noticed several people own them. What are the differences other than size?

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    The biggest complaint you'll see about the p64 is the heel release magazine, Herculean trigger pull, which is theorized to be in the 27-30lbs range, if you don't get aftermarket springs, the small sights, and supposedly snappy recoil. The one I got had these already installed and I like it. At $150 though, it does have some advantages. Since its more or less a knockoff of the PPK, holsters are more readily found, more to spend on ammo, field strips in literally 3 seconds, and very concealable.

I don't have a CZ, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that does.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Both are similar blowback action, fixed barrel 9x18mm pistols. Both in fact field strip in a simialr fashion. Biggest difference is the CZ has a double stack, 12 shot mag while the P64 is a single 7 or 8 shot. Not a huge difference in size practically. Both tend to be reliable as heck.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I've shot both and can say that the trigger on the CZ 82 is much better, that combined with better sights translates to better potential accuracy. The stock trigger on the p-64 kills it for me, I've never fired one that had been worked on, but I'm sure you could slick it up nice.

If it were me, all things considered, I'd take the CZ.

JMHO.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have a P64 I acquired off of a fellow member (snorko) about a year ago. It has the worst trigger ever produced, it ejects casings about 30 feet straight back, has a six shot magazine, sights are a joke, and if you take the grips off, springs and levers start falling out of the gun. It is a handful to shoot, it twists and pushes hard for such a small round. Firing a hp bullet, it will go thru a 55 gallon steel drum (both sides) with no sweat. It has a decocker that takes both hands to engage. It also has a loaded chamber indictator, and is all steel, which makes it feel rather heavy. It isn't a gun I would carry, but as a truck gun it has a place. BTW I really love mine.
    p003.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have a P64 I acquired off of a fellow member (snorko) about a year ago. It has the worst trigger ever produced, it ejects casings about 30 feet straight back, has a six shot magazine, sights are a joke, and if you take the grips off, springs and levers start falling out of the gun. It is a handful to shoot, it twists and pushes hard for such a small round. Firing a hp bullet, it will go thru a 55 gallon steel drum (both sides) with no sweat. It has a decocker that takes both hands to engage. It also has a loaded chamber indictator, and is all steel, which makes it feel rather heavy. It isn't a gun I would carry, but as a truck gun it has a place. BTW I really love mine.
    p003.jpg

And now I miss it and want another!

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    I found this post on another forum. If this is breaking any rules, please delete it. I thought it was a great comparison:

QUOTE:
    I have fired both (the CZ82 and the P64), both are very accurate at 10 yards. Here are my feelings on both guns:

Both can be carried with one in the pipe, and both are single action/double action, so you can leave either uncocked in a holster.

Both are blowback designs like our C9s, JHPs and all our favorite HPs.

AMMO is READILY AVAILABLE, And not very expensive in JHP and FMJ through mail order and most good local gun shops will have or can get it for you (but they'll charge more for it). The 9X18 Mak shell is similar in size and stopping power to the .380 (the mags for the CZ83 in 9x18 and .380 are the same). I've heard that Wolf ammo is problematic with both of these guns, I purchased Silver Bear and have had NO problems.

P64:
    The double action trigger pull is a WHOPPING 24-27 Lbs on the P64, but you can replace the springs to make that a more tolerable 16.5, 18 or 20 lb. with springs from wolff. The SA pull on the P64 is a little light and a "surprise" when it goes off. The p 64 carries 6+1 as mentioned elsewhere. It is a PPK clone, though a little smaller than the PPK. It is a good little carry gun because of its slim profile, and the ability to carry one in the pipe with no concerns.

The downfall is the DA pull... which some folks feel acts as an additional safety. I thought the same, too... until I tried to fire it DA. That trigger pull makes it difficult, if not impossible to stay in the 10 ring at 10 yards, in aimed shooting at the range. Recoil is SNAPPY but tolerable, if you get an used piece, the recoil spring may be weaker than new, and more felt recoil as a result.

In a real altercation, the risk of missing your target on the first shot because of the trigger pull is a real possibility... and that, in my mind, makes it a 5+1 + 1 flyer. If you replace the spring, maybe better... However, the lighter DA pull spring mod, will make the SA pull lighter as well, so you might get unwanted double taps.

One other thing about the P64 that to me is awkward... the mag release is under the grip at the back. It is difficult to operate with big fingers. Mag changes in a real fire fight are not going to happen easily without a LOT of practice.

CZ 82: ---
    I LOVE THIS GUN.

12+1 mag. A little bit heftier, wider, longer than the P64. Ambidextrous safety and mag release. Parts are available because it is identical to the CZ83.

SA/DA pulls are much closer together in weight than the P64, though I can't tell you what they are in #. Both SA/DA are crisp and light. The gun is accurate at 10 yards and a joy to shoot... Mine are used... in good condition, so the casings eject a bit further than they should (I think) but wolff makes replacement springs for them. Those replacement springs will also make the recoil more sweet than it already is but I have no complaints in that department.

Carry size... is a bit more awkward than the P64... The CZ is very similar in overall size and weight to the C9 HP. It's not as thick at the slide (as the C9), but with the double stack mag, overall it's just as wide. My personal opinion is that it would make a better choice to carry than the C9 because of mag capacity and the absolutely safe 12+1 carry.

Accuracy is quite good... rear sights adjustable for windage only but this is not done with ease as it is on our HPs.
    END QUOTE

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    9x18's... I've had a couple of PM ("real" Makarovs), an East German and a Bulgarian. I sold the Bulgarian and kept the superior finished East German. The PM is a delight to shoot. Accurate, reliable, and fits my hand well.

I bought a P64. I liked the size/design, price and was already stocking 9x18. The stock DA trigger is something from Planet of the Apes. It is a built-in safety... dang near impossible to pull the DA trigger, although doable. After swapping some springs, it now has a tolerable double action trigger and the single action is SWEET. How about the heel mag release? Doesn't bother me at all. This size of gun is more of a pocket-holster pistol and, with a pocket holster, I would prefer a heel release to a thumb release.

How about that recoil? 9x18 isn't a round most folks would expect recoil sensitivity from, right? I mean, .357 Magnum feels like nothing, I can squeeze off 9x19, .40S&W and .45ACP all day without issue. I've got to move up to a .44 Magnum before I'm *thinking* about the recoil. Meh, not so with the little P64. I imagine it is a matter of poor ergos because that thing feels like it is bucking and twisting with every round. Not so that you can't control it but enough that you need to *think* about it. Weird... the EG Mak - not *that* much bigger or heavier - feels like nothing to shoot the same round from.

If you were going to carry/conceal the choice, I would go with the P64. If you're not buying it specifically for the rounded/concealable/single-stack-grip size, then I would go with the CZ.

It is my backup to my normal backup/pocket-pistol.

IMG_6400.jpg

It really doesn't look smaller but it sure pockets better.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    CZ -82 are great...i had one sold it to a friend....we have shot it about 100 times each....it is dead on accurate...more than any pistol I own...it has ran 100% with no failures of any kind with cheap crappy wolf/bear steel cased ammo...i am going to get a cz-83 or maybe a cz-82....i just dont like to switch calibers to much and thing had a bad finish though structurally these things are built like a tank and can take a beating....decent capacity...had a p64, never shot it ....just so unsexy with terrible first pull of about 25-30 lbs or so it seemed....i sold it to a collector...the cz82 is a great pistol with great features...big trigger guard for gloved hands --safey/decocker...the hammer does not rest on the primer so it has a drop safety of sorts....also has a decent capacity of 12-13...if you are choosing between these to then get the cz---great gun

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The CZ82 doesn't have a decocker, and the safety can only be set when the hammer is cocked.

In this respect, I like the P64 better.

Top Bottom