• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    I had the misfortune of growing up in Chicagostan and my Dad is still behind enemy lines. He considers himself a Conservative but thinks banning Ar-15's and gun registrations and the whole rest of the disarmament club are great ideas.

So here's where I need some help. He refuses to go on the internet and gets all his news from network TV so he doesn't think people ever defend themselves with guns or use rifles to defend themselves. He also thinks concealed carry folk are running around in the streets shooting folks.

So can you direct me to your favorite articles that I can print out and send to my Dad so he can see there is another side to this debate?

Thanks in advance!

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Thanks but he won't do those things. He's not interested in seeking out knowledge and I repeat, he's basically anti-gun so the NRA is a non-starter and he won't use the internets so I have to print some articles out and send them to him.

Any more specific suggestions? Specific articles you think make good arguments?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    my old man also concerns me. he's a vietnam era vet, a conservative, republican, hoosier, politician, patriot, businessman, and farmer.

he's all for 'taking assault weapons from psychos'
    sometimes i can swing him one way, sometimes we damn near have brawls on political matters.

i think it boils down to, he's old, seen a lot, tired and just has more to concentrate - being happy and in his own world. he's had the fortune of living a well traveled life, but coming home and insulating himself from the rest of the world. i often envy him on that matter. its his attitude of 'i'll do whatever the hell i please' that lends me to my own political bend.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    More scary resources like the post listed above mine.

The Armed Citizen Blog | by: NRA Staff

These are the news stories that the mainstream media ignores because they don't fit the narrative. The one thing you realize after reading these stories is that the bad guys determine how, where and when violence will be visited upon you, and all of the anti-gun, touchy-feely opinions will fly out of the window when this random violence visits you... EVERYONE in a similar life-or-death situation, like ones listed in these stories WILL suddenly wish that they too were as armed and prepared as these fine folks.

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    I hear ya Havok. I love the guy to pieces but after a two hour chat last night I was ready to spit nails when his big concern was teachers carrying guns, not psychos shooting up schools.

Ugh!

I sent him Larry Correia's recent piece on why an assault weapons ban is stupid and my Dad said he read it so I thought I'd try to send him a couple more.

Who knows? It might even penetrate his thick skull!

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBe48u6ERiI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFG5gyejXk8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjcdPx4X2lU[/ame]

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Thanks Liberty but he won't go on Al Gore's internets so I'm not sure how to show him Youtube vids? And I'm obviously here in Indy and he's in Chicagostan and I hate going there because as far as I'm concerned going to Chicagostan like all the big blue states is an awful lot like leaving America. And personally I like staying in America where I can be armed. I keep trying to get him to come out here to civilization but I think he's concerned that one of you pistol totin' yahoos (hotheads in his parlance) will shoot him for no particular reason. 'Cuz that's what law abiding concealed carry folk do, right?

But thanks for the effort!

I'll say this again but he will not use the internets, will not, is not an option. I have to print articles out and snail mail them to him. He will not even do email.

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    Well good luck my friend. Regardless of how hard I've tried, I've never had any luck turning an anti-gunner around! I've made great arguments too, but still, no luck yet!

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    That looks really interesting, I look forward to reading it. Thanks for assembling that it looks amazing.

AZ, he's not so much anti-gun as living in a blue state where he never hears the other side of the argument. I very well may not change his mind but he will at least know there is another point of view, which at the moment he does not.

To him we are (per our discussion last night) 'uncivilized' 'hotheads' and 'dangerous people' because we choose to depend on ourselves for our protection.

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Thanks Actaeon, that's a lotta good stuff!

And I'm with ya Meezer, that's why I moved to America! The funny part is when I needle him about all the shootings in Chicago, the ones that are impossible because guns aren't allowed. He just gets really grumpy and insists that what's needed are more laws. Again, not sure how I'm his son but there ya go!

Top Bottom