• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Bet it was fun. At least he had the decency to strap them down. Where I grew up, it be like "hold on for your stinkin life" ... survival of the fittest.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    When I was a kid, if my chores were done and it was time for my dad to come home, I'd ride my horse to the farthest pasture, leave her there while I jumped the fence and cut across the woods to meet my dad where he'd turn off the highway and drive the back lanes in to the ranch... If he had the car, I'd jump on the hood and ride home. If he had the truck, I'd stand up in the back holding onto the roll bar.
    Kids today will never know the joy of swallowing a live bug or taking one right to the eye... :D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Yeah memories......When we were small, we used to climb up and lay down on the rear deck between the back seat and the rear window of the family car.
    We thought is was a neat way to see the world go by.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hey at least the man was in the right mind to strap the kids in. Gosh I've seen several news reports lately of SOBER parents "forgetting" to leave their infants in the 125* car while they shopped.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I remember riding in the back of my grandfather's pickup as we went about doing stuff...we didn't need no stinkin' straps!

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    As a parent of a 4- and 6-year old (who live to antagonize the holy hell out of each other, especially in the car), part of me says "that's horrible", the other part of me understands the occasional desire to strap the kids to the hood of your car (not that I would ever do it).

Louis CK sums it up pretty well (NSFW language in the video, jump to 6:19)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2ZsoYWwJA&t=6m19s[/ame]

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    When I was a kid, if my chores were done and it was time for my dad to come home, I'd ride my horse to the farthest pasture, leave her there while I jumped the fence and cut across the woods to meet my dad where he'd turn off the highway and drive the back lanes in to the ranch... If he had the car, I'd jump on the hood and ride home. If he had the truck, I'd stand up in the back holding onto the roll bar.
    Kids today will never know the joy of swallowing a live bug or taking one right to the eye... :D

Surfing in the bed of a truck at highway speeds was always a good time. I use to do it all the time. I had a few friends that would climb out the window of a truck moving around 45mph to climb into the bed. I can't imagine the kind of trouble we'd get into now for that. At the time, I believe we were just asked if we had a death wish and told we were morons and to knock it off or our parents would be called.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As bad as it is, I remember riding in the back of a pickup as well. Like everyone else here says, heaven forbid you do that now. Heck, even riding up on the turret of a Humvee isnt like it used to be. Not saying a drunk dad is a good thing, and why werent they in the car? Just wondering

D3rpTap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Lebanon
    We used to strap sleds to the back of our dads truck and have him pull us around parking lots during snow storms. Never thought about riding on the hood.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I used to threaten this.....

When my (then 4) year old was mis-behaving on long trips I told him I would strap him to the roof. Worked about 3 times. On time #4 he said okay and thought it would be fun......

Bluff called, tactics changed.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    When my (then 4) year old was mis-behaving on long trips I told him I would strap him to the roof. Worked about 3 times. On time #4 he said okay and thought it would be fun......

The first time I read this I completely skipped right over the bold part and couldn't believe what I just read.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

yep, i know we were threatened with that, until we were like, that would be fun, then it was being threatened to walk in front of the car on long distance trips. Not as fun

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    When I played little league baseball the team got tickets to an Indians game in Indy. The coach just loaded up the team in the bed of his pick-up and drove us about an hour on I-70 to the game. I bet we were 8-9 years old at the oldest. Today someone would be put in jail for that. Times have really changed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I played little league baseball the team got tickets to an Indians game in Indy. The coach just loaded up the team in the bed of his pick-up and drove us about an hour on I-70 to the game. I bet we were 8-9 years old at the oldest. Today someone would be put in jail for that. Times have really changed.

There was an old 1 ton GMC flat bed on the farm. No side rails and splinter heaven as the bed was just worked hard. We would all jump up there and ride into town or around the farm. Little if anything to hang onto. I loved riding on top of the hay bails stacked 4 or 5 high. As good as Kings Island in my humble opinion.
    No helmets for bikes either........great days.

Top Bottom