• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcr465

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    My Dad (75) "loaned" me his Single Shot 30-06 on Thanksgiving. All he could tell me about it was he ordered it from Spiegels Catalog in the late 60s. He thought the bolt was a Mauser but had no ideas about the rest.

It has basically been fired 6-10 times then stored in a bag under his bed for 40 years. I would like to have it examined & prep for re-use.

Not sure were to go near Bloomington to get this done..

Thoughts/suggestions ....

Sorry no pics. Camera stolen this summer but that is another story ...:welcome:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Clean the bore.

Make sure there are no obstructions in the bore.

Load one round of 30.06 ammo.

Shoot it.

I don't know what you think needs to be checked. Just because it was in storage for years doesn't mean anything. If it was safe to shoot 40 years ago, it is still safe to shoot.

Last edited:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i completely agree....clean/inspect, shoot, enjoy. i dont understand why people want to over think things. Its like saying "I havn't used this hammer in at least a month. Maybe i should have someone come in and look at it before i use it." Its a tool (the gun and the hammer) check it out and go for it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Just shoot it. Clean the action and bore, oil the action and enjoy shooting. I have been collecting for over 20 years - a lot of old military handguns and rifles, some have been stored for over 75 years. I inspect to make sure there are no cracks and that the bolt is ok, (a few of certain old military rifles have known defects so I do check those items) and that the bore is clear and clean, then shoot them with appropriate ammo. I have never had any dangerous issue with any weapon. Your 30-06 should be safe with any commercial ammo, if it has a Mauser action it is one of the strongest rifles made.

Top Bottom