• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Why, simple, because conservatives will not rally behind the leading conservative in the primary.

The Republic said:
    But the crowded field — which also includes financial adviser Don Bates Jr. of Winchester and Fishers businessman Richard Behney — will help Coats by splitting votes, said Nate LaMar, who organized a debate of the five Senate candidates in Henry County in February.​
    The Republic - GOP challengers hope May primary brings in new wave of conservative leaders in Indiana

and also:

The Washington Post said:
    The most obvious example is in Indiana where former Sen. Dan Coats was recruited into the contest by national Republicans but has struggled badly to consolidate his frontrunner status. Coats' saving grace may well be that grassroots conservatives appear to be splitting their votes between former Rep. John Hostettler and state Sen. Marlin Stutzman
    The Fix - Can the party establishment deliver in Tuesday's primaries?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Why, simple, because conservatives will not rally behind the leading conservative in the primary....

Can I replace conservatives, with Republicans please?

I'm not a Republican. I have no right to vote in "internal Republican party business" which is what primaries are.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have decided to vote for Hostettler instead of Stutzman to avoid splitting the vote. COME ON CONSERVATIVES! UNITE BEHIND HOSSTETTLER! PLEASE!!!!

Our liberty is at stake and the future or our nation. Voting for the others puts COATS in office. We must stop this!!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Let's hope they're wrong.

I'll hope and I'll vote accordingly, but the polls have consistently shown that Coats will likely win with < 50% of the vote. The conversations on this board show the problem for conservative candidates with only a few people saying that they would consider voting for a good candidate rather than their favorite. Instead, way too much of the conversation was defending candidates that have little/no chance to win and never relenting.

I said it some time ago, but if you aren't willing to compromise and settle for the "lesser of two evils", then you will end up with the greater of two evils. Now I'm reading how many are so unhappy with Coats, that they would vote for Ellison, a 3rd party candidate, or sit it out. Sigh... :facepalm:

Edit: Thanks Bapak2ja for being flexible. I also consider Hostettler and Stutzman to be the best of the possible Coats alternates. Either should generate some consideration if they lose this primary and decide to run against Lugar. The worst case is both losing and both running against Lugar.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'll hope and I'll vote accordingly, but the polls have consistently shown that Coats will likely win with < 50% of the vote. The conversations on this board show the problem for conservative candidates with only a few people saying that they would consider voting for a good candidate rather than their favorite. Instead, way too much of the conversation was defending candidates that have little/no chance to win and never relenting.

I said it some time ago, but if you aren't willing to compromise some and settle for the "lesser of two evils", then you will end up with the greater of two evils. Now I'm reading how many are so unhappy with Coats, that they would vote for Ellison, a 3rd party candidate, or sit it out. Sigh... :facepalm:

Edit: Thanks Bapak2ja for being flexible. I also consider Hostettler and Stutzman to be the best of the possible Coats alternates. Either should generate some consideration if they lose this primary and decide to run against Lugar. The worst case is both losing and both running against Lugar.

Well said.

No question that politics is compromise. There on many on this board who believe, mistakenly, it is ALL OR NONE. Clearly those people are wrong, but they don't understand their error.

The gun grabbers didn't get all the restrictions by choosing an ALL OR NONE strategy, they took baby steps and took away rights a nibble at a time.

The unions didn't get all their benefits by choosing an ALL OR NONE strategy, they got their contracts increased a little bit at a time, adding small victory to small victory over decades.

Conservatives has some bizarre set of principles that they hold dear, they choose to LOSE their rights a little bit at a time by failing to unite behind candidates that are in agreement with 95% of their ideals and consequently the election goes to someone who only represents 50% of their beliefs.

In this election we have 4 conservatives, 1 is clearly leading and that is Hostettler, his near clone, who is trailing him by 8% to 10% in the polls, but who shares very similar political ideals is Stutzman, those two probably share 95% of the SAME conservative ideology. Either would represent us well, but one is clearly ahead of the other. We will get neither because we will split our votes and get Coats.

I've been saying this since the primary really got started. It is clear that it has fallen on deaf ears.

Be 'principled' and lose big time, or be 'practical' and win. We need to win if we want our voice heard in Washington.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    Well if we do get Coats, (I almost threw up) then we need to hold him accountable. I mean be all over him like a pack of wolves to make the 'right' vote. Personally I'm voting for Hostettler in the primary. We need to have our Representatives and Senators office numbers posted on here somewhere, if they are not already. They work for us, the people, not themselves, or big money lobbyists.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    Can I replace conservatives, with Republicans please?

I'm not a Republican. I have no right to vote in "internal Republican party business" which is what primaries are.
    then what side of the fence do u align with? If too many ppl try to ride the fence, it will eventually come down. I'm just saying

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well, Coats is "not" getting my vote in the primary. If he's on the ballot in November, I'll have some serious soul-searching to do. I'm inclined to feel at this point that if I can't bring myself to cast a vote in his favor (which would be very difficult), I may just avoid voting in that one particular race altogether, but that is admittedly an emotional, not practical, response, and I agree, I need to try and be practical. Either way, a hard pill to swallow. Let's just hope for the best.

If you hope for the best and lose you can blame yourself.

If you hope for the best and win then you can blame people who made the hard choice.

Stand up, pull up your big boy pants, and vote. We have two foes. First we have to defeat Coats in a few days. Second we have to defeat Ellsworth in November. We NEED your help.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    My guess is that Coats will win. Lugar won't run again setting up a rematch between Hostetler and Stutzman, who will both lose to the imported GOP annointed candidate Paul Hemlke. Then we can have 2 anti-gun RINOs from Indiana. Won't that be fun?

Why will this happen? Because of voters that will allow great to be the enemy of good. Rather than throwing all support to one conservative who can beat Coats, then replace Lugar with another in a couple years, we'll jack ourselves twice and then continue to whine because our rights and freedoms are erroding. Will you vote for a candidate who cannot win and split the vote to elect a RINO? Do you want to know who is stealing your liberty? Look in the mirror.

Hope and change you can believe in. Yes we can!

I said it some time ago, but if you aren't willing to compromise and settle for the "lesser of two evils", then you will end up with the greater of two evils. Now I'm reading how many are so unhappy with Coats, that they would vote for Ellison, a 3rd party candidate, or sit it out. Sigh... :facepalm:

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Getting tired of the state republicans

I have decided to vote for Hostettler instead of Stutzman to avoid splitting the vote. COME ON CONSERVATIVES! UNITE BEHIND HOSSTETTLER! PLEASE!!!!

Our liberty is at stake and the future or our nation. Voting for the others puts COATS in office. We must stop this!!
    Haven't decided what I'm going to do If I vote it will probably be for Hosstetler. But I get so P.O. at the Republicans for not mounting a serious challange against the Carson Regime I can't see well enought to vote! They've had some good candidates but won't support them. A carson always wins, but ususally only by 4-5% is that so insurmountable? we really need a change in the party leadership!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Big money and big law firms run the political show. We people get a say, but not much any more. Elsworth's campaign manager will just play connect the dots with Coats this fall, anti 2A, old, rich, out of touch DC lobbiest, the same old stuff. I won't be surprised if he gets beaten bad. Helmke will be a perfect choice by the country club boys at the RNC for Indiana. Fits in perfectly with ther current philosophy.:rolleyes:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010

Actually, in Indiana, you in fact do have a choice in which party primary to vote, regardless of your stated party affiliation.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You are right. It's vital that Coats lose the primary. Sounds like it's time for Hostettler's supporters to line up behind Stutzman and make sure Coats is sent packing!

xd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I'm with Stutzman who has proven to me by far, without question somebody who has stood up for my 2nd amendment rights by writing Indiana’s lifetime handgun permit. Member of the NRA with an A+ rating. I'm sure the other guys would have done the same if given the chance, but simply put, they didn't and so Stutzman will_get_all_my_family's vote.

Top Bottom