• ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    WOW! That looks pretty old...and very WELL constructed too.:joke:

.....Seriously though folks.......
    It appears to be engineered to last forever, after "metal detecting" the area and searching for foundation stones, etc....I'd let the DNR in on the secret or perhaps the historical society, or even university archaeology dept????

How deep is the water? Is there anything beneath the surface? Buried treasure, bones, jesse james' hide out...? Please keep us updated if you decide to check it out further!

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I would drop a recovery magnet on a rope down into it and do a search on the bottom.
    A lot of times people trying to hide things (like guns, swords, ect) drop them into deep wells.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Did you report it to the proper authorities at Clark? If you need a number I can provide you with who to contact.

There are probably fewer hikers currently due to the nasty weather but I guaruntee there will be some. We're just kind of goofy that way.

Please make sure you call the Clark SF office (812-294-4306) and let Brad Seward the manager know where the well is.

I suspect they can't just fill it in since it will be considered an archealogical site. They can, however, mark it and either cap it or put a grate over it for safety.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    There are probably fewer hikers currently due to the nasty weather but I guaruntee there will be some. We're just kind of goofy that way.

Please make sure you call the Clark SF office (812-294-4306) and let Brad Seward the manager know where the well is.

I suspect they can't just fill it in since it will be considered an archealogical site. They can, however, mark it and either cap it or put a grate over it for safety.

I called today and talked to the resource manager. She said they would mark it within the next two weeks. In the mean time, my bicycle flag is there.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My neighbor tore down his old house... in the process of prepping for new construction the contractor running a bobcat was backing up across the yard when the left rear wheel broke through the surface. Initially we thought he hit a soft spot but what we found scared us...
    It was a hole about 2' long and a little wider than the tire. The digging with shovels started and they darn near lost one guy because the whole surface fell in.
    It was a 48"+ diameter well lined with hand made brick... now, our neighborhood is located on a hill... a tall hill. You couldn't see the water... drop a big rock in and wait... wait.... wait.... small splash! Plumb bob on a 100' string... came up dry!
    We have no idea how deep that well is or how deep the water is at the bottom of the well... we do know that no one wanted to fall in.
    In the end a large track hoe was brought in the the hole was cut down 10' and covered with I-beams and concrete re-filled with dirt and eventually covered with lawn.
    This area is part of the old canal that ran from Huntington to Fort Wayne and has a lot of historical gems hidden underground. If only that well could talk.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My neighbor tore down his old house... in the process of prepping for new construction the contractor running a bobcat was backing up across the yard when the left rear wheel broke through the surface. Initially we thought he hit a soft spot but what we found scared us...
    It was a hole about 2' long and a little wider than the tire. The digging with shovels started and they darn near lost one guy because the whole surface fell in.
    It was a 48"+ diameter well lined with hand made brick... now, our neighborhood is located on a hill... a tall hill. You couldn't see the water... drop a big rock in and wait... wait.... wait.... small splash! Plumb bob on a 100' string... came up dry!
    We have no idea how deep that well is or how deep the water is at the bottom of the well... we do know that no one wanted to fall in.
    In the end a large track hoe was brought in the the hole was cut down 10' and covered with I-beams and concrete re-filled with dirt and eventually covered with lawn.
    This area is part of the old canal that ran from Huntington to Fort Wayne and has a lot of historical gems hidden underground. If only that well could talk.

Similar to what many people in the Tell City / Branchville / St. Croix area deal with. There are literally hundreds of old "personal use" coal mines up and down the SR 37 corridor. They can, and do, cause all kinds of construction issues. Especially with SR 37...

-J-

Top Bottom