• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I thought I would start a thread as a continuation/parallel topic of the body cam discussion.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...07160-body-cameras-who-uses-one-civilian.html

How many of you use a dash cam in your vehicles? Why, or why not?

I have been using mine for a couple months now and, fortunately, have not needed to review any footage from it. I decided to get one because I look at it as cheap insurance in the event something happens while I am driving. Will it capture everything? No. Can it tell the same story, over and over? Yes. Will it capture more details and remember it longer than I will? Definitely. As an unexpected side effect, I have also found I tend to drive a bit more defensively, safely, and legally* now that I have something monitoring my driving. I would hate to need to use the footage only to be reprimanded/dismissed because I failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

*(Full stops on a red light before turning right, smoother lane changes, full stop with a 3+ count at stop signs, etc.)

This is the unit I went with. You will be into it for about $60-65 after adding in an SD card. In my searches of reviews, I found it to be the best for the money. You can spend more, but you don't gain much, if anything, for the added expense.
    Amazon.com: Black Box G1W Original Dashboard Dash Cam - Full HD 1080P H.264 2.7" LCD Car DVR Camera Video Recorder with G-Sensor Night Vision Motion Detection WDR 140° Wide Angle 4X Zoom - NT96650 + AR0330: Cell Phones & Accessories

In addition to my above reasons, there were two recent experiences/events which caused me to consider installing a dash cam in my truck.

1) I was a juror in a case where the two parties were involved in a car accident. One was suing the other for pain and suffering caused by the accident. Ultimately, based on the limited information and evidence we were given, we found them to both be equally at fault and no damages were rewarded. Fortunately we were given an aerial photo of the intersection and were able to determine the length of the lane and given the supposed speed of the plaintiff that she had more than enough time to have seen the defendant's car and avoided the collision. Had either of them had a dash cam there is a good chance there would not have been 3+ years of nonsense and a stupid trial that stole my entire week off from work.

2) As my wife was going to work an officer changed lanes mid-turn through an intersection, cutting directly in front of her (two left turn lanes). In order to safely and successfully make the turn, she was forced to take the turn even wider into a lane that ended. She then had to increase her speed to get around the officer's car and subsequently "made an unsafe lane change." He pulled her over, and although he ran her license and just let her go, it was a BS stop with no reason to try and ticket her. Had she been cited for something the dash cam footage would have been counter-proof to the officer's dashcam showing her reaction to his actions. What gets me is the officer was oblivious to what he had done in the intersection and then wanted to lecture my wife on not being a safe driver.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My employer has installed them in ALL of the company owned vehicles, semi trucks to company cars. They are set of my inertia, record the previous 8 seconds and the 4 seconds after it is activated. It can also be manually activated. They had forward and rear facing camaras (on the driver).They are also GPS enabled too boot.

I didn't drive bad before but I find myself being even more cautious, especially with following distance.

They were installed in July of last year and while I have had it go off many times, I have yet to be called into the office for a "coachable moment."

I don't like them but my only other choice is to quit, and I'm not leaving this job.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Amazon.com : BlackVue New DR400G-HD II(Season 2), Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder, Full HD (1080p@30fps), G Sensor, GPS Tracking, 16GB SD Card Included : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

I just picked this one up yet, but haven't installed it.
    I was going to make a review. But, haven't had the time.

619otlZxWOL._SL1440_.jpg

I bought it because someone put a brick through my windshield

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've been using my smartphone and an app called Dailyroads Voyager, with a Ram Mount X Grip mount. I run the dashcam app in the background with Waze on top.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    I use a dashcam in my personal and work vehicle. Been installed for about a year. Paid off last month when returning from a weekend in Tennessee. Hit a deer on the highway in my work van and the dashcam caught it all. No questions asked from my company when I reported the incident and mentioned I could forward the dashcam footage if needed. Perfectly showed I was minding my business and driving carefully when the deer ran out.

Good points about defensive driving. Also, use caution with your language and comments. My cam catches video & audio, so don't be "that guy" in case you end up needing the footage...

Agrv8r

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    I have a Vantrue N2 Pro. It’s around $200 but it does front and cabin views.
    I haven’t had to review footage on the memory card (256GB) but I haven’t had any issues. It’s in my personal vehicle and it was an upgrade from my cheap dashcam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thanks for the reminder...........time for a beer and Vograd.
    The dump truck sliding around the guy waiting to cross the road.........and his walk across after...........amazing.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I started using a dash cam after I got in a contested collision where I got rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me, but the driver who hit me tried to argue in court that I rear ended the car in front of me first causing a chain reaction accident. Dash cam footage would have saved a lot of trouble my making it clear I was at a dead stop when the first collision happened. There were also a few times where I've seen something on the road worth reporting like drunk drivers and wish I had a dash cam but didn't at the time.

...and I also thought maybe I'll record something cool when I'm out driving, like this:
    [video=youtube;S_ILTQwYeN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_ILTQwYeN0[/video]

I've tried out several models of dash cams but I've found that under $100 many of them are prone to breaking. I suspect that a variety of dash cam brands are actually built with the same cheap Chinese components under the plastic casing, because I've found many of the crappy dash cams to have the same chirp sounds and menu configurations. The most common and annoying problem I run into is when I check the card at a later time and find out it wasn't recording when it was supposed to. Or that it did record something and the file on the SD card is corrupted. I think corrupted files often have to do with poorly made internal batteries which cause the dash cam to shut off too abruptly after the car powers down.

The one I am currently using is this, which I have had since January:
    https://www.dashcam.co/collections/...-1296p-single-dash-cam?variant=12527672918060

I'm a little iffy on the quality, but at least their customer service has been very attentive. They even sent it back with a free SD card after I reported some problems recording and sent it in for repair. I check it occasionally and it seems to be working so far so good.

Another thing I've noticed is that anything below 1080p is not good enough for reading license plates clearly. I'd do 1080p at a minimum, but the higher resolution the better.

idkfa

personally invading Ukraine (vicariously)
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    IMO in 2019 there's no reason NOT to have a dashcam in your car.

The choice of said device depends on which features you need though (duh!).

I researched this matter thoroughly a couple of years back, and found these guys to be the most helpful:
    https://carcamcentral.com/guide/dash-camera-buyers-guide

They have a YouTube channel, where they compare different cameras, and succinctly explain what to look for in a dashcam.
    They cover all price groups and appear to be least exuberant (compared to your regular "10 best things" lists), most fact-based, and thus least biased.
    They also update their channel recommendations and roundups every year or so as the technology progresses.

I personally went with Viofo A119.
    Reasons:
    -- QHD resolution @ 30 fps
    -- Highest quality sensor
    -- Capacitor (not battery) based [very important if you park the car outside in the heat for long-ish time]
    -- Very small footprint (I can see just the top of the camera from behind my rearview mirror)
    -- Motion detector "sentry" mode (for parking)
    -- Highly reviewed, the company is well-known
    -- $100 (with GPS adapter)

Two important notes.
    1) For parking mode, I got a 40 Ah powerbank, and it can reliably power the camera for 48 hours in a busy apartment complex parking lot or for 3+ days at the IND economy lot.
    Parking mode did catch an Amazon delivery guy park his truck next to my car, nonchalantly slam his door into my car -- both when he exited and then entered his vehicle.
    He ended up paying for the repairs, his insurance had no further questions to me.

2) You have to pay attention to what kind of an SD card you get for your camera. They can (and WILL) die if they're explicitly not rated for this purpose.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Two important notes.
    1) For parking mode, I got a 40 Ah powerbank, and it can reliably power the camera for 48 hours in a busy apartment complex parking lot or for 3+ days at the IND economy lot.
    Parking mode did catch an Amazon delivery guy park his truck next to my car, nonchalantly slam his door into my car -- both when he exited and then entered his vehicle.
    He ended up paying for the repairs, his insurance had no further questions to me.

2) You have to pay attention to what kind of an SD card you get for your camera. They can (and WILL) die if they're explicitly not rated for this purpose.

What power bank did you use? Didn't know they make those for dash cams.

I recommend avoiding the A119. It breaks too easily - crappy internal battery IMO.

idkfa

personally invading Ukraine (vicariously)
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    What power bank did you use? Didn't know they make those for dash cams.

I recommend avoiding the A119. It breaks too easily - crappy internal battery IMO.

1) Any powerbank should work. All of the ones I have do.
    I use these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5LKV4T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019IFIJW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Strictly speaking, you don't have to use a powerbank, as you could hotwire the camera directly to the battery.
    But I would not recommend doing so if your car sits for more than a couple of days at any given time and if your commute is short, as it the camera will drain your battery, especially in winter.
    Importantly, apparently some modern cars control unit will also not shut down properly if there's a drain on the battery, and that could lead to malfunctions.

2) A119 does not have an internal battery, it uses capacitors instead. I mentioned that in my original post.
    I am not specifically advocating either for this brand of this model, but "breaks too easily" sounds rather vague.
    Regardless, based on the reviews, they appear to stand behind their product.

Speaking of the Viofo support, A119 did have a problem with its GPS mount, and mine had it as well.
    They refunded the full cost of the camera, and I didn't even have to ship it back.
    Based on the feedback, Viofo solved that mount issue and released A119 V2.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have one just incase. I see too many people do stupid stuff when driving. Just remember that you can't legally destroy evidence even if you own it.

Top Bottom