• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Those three should be locked up along side of all the others they put behind bars.

I think the people these cops put behind bars should get a second look. What's to say these cops didn't set the others up?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I will say from the start I've not watched the video. At the moment, it's irrelevant to the question I ask.

Frank,

Please don't think I'm singling you out; these questions are addressed to any LEO on here, or I'd have asked them privately.
    Have you, in your career, ever become aware of an officer who DID lie about what happened on a call?
    Are you aware of any officer who is otherwise "dirty" (by any definition)?
    If so, what did you do/are you doing to stop that officer from continuing to act in that manner?
    Further, would you agree that, as characterized upthread, an officer who is "dirty" is, by definition, a criminal, and should be duly punished for his/her crimes?

In NO way am I saying that all cops are dirty, quite the reverse. I'm of the opinion that one who is should be separated from your ranks and should be denied any protection by his/her former fellow officers. I would further say that any aid offered that officer (maybe from the FOP) prior to a guilty verdict should be due back to that organization. (for example, if FOP paid for a lawyer for the officer and his guilt was determined, he should have to pay them back whatever they spent on him.)

Just for clarity, this would apply to anyone, but the focus here is on LE because LE has been granted power over other citizens. Those who use that power responsibly and judiciously are not under the microscope. Those who abuse the powers should be held accountable for their misdeeds.

Blessings,
    Bill

Yeah, just like I have to worry about being shot by every law-abiding gun carrier I've ever interacted with. :rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There's no way the whole gang woke up one morning and simultaneously decided to commit their first crime and participate in their first coverup.

On the other hand, seems kinda stupid to pull that right in front of the dash cam, which ultimately got them busted. Either it's the arrogance of experience, or the ignorance of newbs. But I'd still bet some innocent folks are sitting in prison thanks to these cops.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    On the other hand, seems kinda stupid to pull that right in front of the dash cam, which ultimately got them busted. Either it's the arrogance of experience, or the ignorance of newbs. But I'd still bet some innocent folks are sitting in prison thanks to these cops.

IA didn't think the video was a problem when they investigated the incident. It wasn't until the defendant's lawyer got ahold of it that everything went pear-shaped. So, knowing that IA will look the other way, why should they care about what they do in front of the dash cam? Frankly, given this level of corruption, I'm surprised that there wasn't a camera malfunction or a hard drive crash or something. I'm actually amazed this video ever saw the light of day.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    IA didn't think the video was a problem when they investigated the incident. It wasn't until the defendant's lawyer got ahold of it that everything went pear-shaped. So, knowing that IA will look the other way, why should they care about what they do in front of the dash cam? Frankly, given this level of corruption, I'm surprised that there wasn't a camera malfunction or a hard drive crash or something. I'm actually amazed this video ever saw the light of day.

Makes you think the entire culture thinks it's ok and the video wouldn't incriminate them.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Makes you think the entire culture thinks it's ok and the video wouldn't incriminate them.

Well, no. It makes me think that at least four people were involved in a conspiracy (the officers in the video and at least one IA investigator). I don't know anything about the rest of the department and I can't infer it from what we know about this. Certainly, the prosecutor dropped all charges the minute the video came to light and the officers involved are now facing charges of their own. That said, the saying is "one bad apple spoils the bushel" and not "it's just one bad apple". Corruption left unchecked will spread. It's unavoidable. I'd prefer to give the benefit of the doubt to the rest of the department who weren't involved. Let's hope that this is as deep as it went and that the rest of the department is still clean.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I will say from the start I've not watched the video. At the moment, it's irrelevant to the question I ask.

Frank,

Please don't think I'm singling you out; these questions are addressed to any LEO on here, or I'd have asked them privately.
    Have you, in your career, ever become aware of an officer who DID lie about what happened on a call?
    Are you aware of any officer who is otherwise "dirty" (by any definition)?
    If so, what did you do/are you doing to stop that officer from continuing to act in that manner?
    Further, would you agree that, as characterized upthread, an officer who is "dirty" is, by definition, a criminal, and should be duly punished for his/her crimes?

In NO way am I saying that all cops are dirty, quite the reverse. I'm of the opinion that one who is should be separated from your ranks and should be denied any protection by his/her former fellow officers. I would further say that any aid offered that officer (maybe from the FOP) prior to a guilty verdict should be due back to that organization. (for example, if FOP paid for a lawyer for the officer and his guilt was determined, he should have to pay them back whatever they spent on him.)

Just for clarity, this would apply to anyone, but the focus here is on LE because LE has been granted power over other citizens. Those who use that power responsibly and judiciously are not under the microscope. Those who abuse the powers should be held accountable for their misdeeds.

Blessings,
    Bill

I have found a dirty cop on another department, I took it to one of my superiors who worked with ATF task force. that dirty cop was investigated and doing jail time for another charge which came to light during the investigation. Am
    I a rat. no, I dont like dirty cops as much as the next guy.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    A dirty cop is nothing more than a criminal. .

This is the crux of the matter and why there is so much outrage over incidents with cops: A dirty cop is much, much worse than another type of criminal. A run of the mill criminal doesn't have the power to give me lawful orders. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in court when it's my word against his. He doesn't have a radio to call a bunch of his friends to beat me down and back each other up on the story.

INGO disclaimer: I'm sure most cops are good folks and would never do such a thing.

I believe that is true. What I always wonder, though, is how many would back the bad cop up in his bad behavior? How about lie to protect him? How about just not come forward when you know something has happened?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Well that's why I'm leaning towards, "arrogance of experience". I wonder how far they'll investigate IA.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I would just like to apologize to all cops for thinking there might be any bad cops. What was I thinking?

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Yeah, I know who it was from. I try not to take the same attitude with gun owners but maybe I'll try it out for a while.

That my dear sir was a very vindictive comment .....why must some of you LEO here take the outing of bad officers who commit crimes on duty as a personal attack on you because you work in that profession. You think you would be the first to call these bad apples out . Its comments like this is why law obeying people think blue sticks up for blue who get defensive when the people they serve and protect point out and are disgusted with officer who comment crimes on duty. :patriot:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    These dirty cops may make up a very small portion of Law Enforcement, but we have to worry about it every time we deal with law enforcement.
    Exactly... One would never know if it was going to be "your turn" in having to face this kind of unnecessary brutality and internal department corruption.

I've personally dealt with a LOT of different types of people (both good and bad) within their respective jobs/careers over my lifetime and the one, true common thread I've noticed with them all, regardless of circumstance-- is that EVERYONE will default into self-preservation mode to try to cover themselves...even if it means lying, stealing or whatever to get themselves out of trouble. There are VERY FEW folks these days that are willing to take their medicine like a man when they've done something wrong in society and this video is a direct example of that! Sinful, human nature I guess....

I use the "Trust but Verify" method of dealing with people these days, as an effort to stay on the right side of society. If it successfully worked for Reagen and Gorbachev in the 80's, it's good enough for me..

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thats not how it was put and you know it.

Frank, the problem is that whenever we deal with an officer we don't know personally, we have no idea whether everything will be according to the book or we have a criminal wearing blue who has the resources of the government entity he represents to completely wreck our lives indefinitely.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Did IA see the video, if not why, if so then it looks like some IA people need to be charged also. Why did they let one LEO retire?

Top Bottom