• ...and so much more!
  • gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Thoughts? Opinions?

I picked one up from a friend for close to nothing. Looks old and it sure is heavy but it shoots fine.

I know nothing about Davis industries other than I've heard they were "low quality" firearms. I don't intend this to be an EDC, maybe a BUG or something to keep in the dresser or center console. Seems to only be useful for up close and personal encounters obviously!

So, what are your thoughts on derringers? or if anyone has any experience with Davis, I'd love to hear it!

photo19.jpg

gwostrom

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I had one and traded it off a while ago. Carried it a little but it was too heavy for what it was, IMO. It would do well for a glovebox or something..

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    I've wanted to get one for a console gun, but haven't been able to bring myself to pull the trigger yet. That's a nice looking one you have though.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a DM22 (.22 Mag). I have it stuck to the underside of a table by a hard drive magnet. Plan being if I am surprised in my home I can get to it to get me to my bigger guns.

It has always gone bang and easy to keep at hand with no one knowing it's there.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Thanks for sharing your opinions guys. It's most likely going to be used as you all said. Weighs as much as my LCR if not a little more!!!! Does conceal nicely in a pocket or could easily be hidden somewhere around the house. This is my first derringer so I'm kinda excited even though it's a davis!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have one in 22 Mag and one in 38 Special. They have their own unique uses.

I like to have them ready so that the lower barrel fires first. No real reason, I just like to set them up that way. I keep mine at the half cock and ignore the safety button.

Take yours to the range and shoot it. It is amazing how inaccurate it is, even at 7 yards. It is a contact gun.

I like standard pressure 158 SWC bullets in the 38. It is controllable with this load.

It is not my first or even second choice, but it is always in the console.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

I like to have them ready so that the lower barrel fires first. No real reason, I just like to set them up that way. I keep mine at the half cock and ignore the safety button.

I have mine set the same. The hammer locks at half cock and I have hit it against a table to assure it is drop safe.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy

Take yours to the range and shoot it. It is amazing how inaccurate it is, even at 7 yards. It is a contact gun.

I like standard pressure 158 SWC bullets in the 38. It is controllable with this load.

It is not my first or even second choice, but it is always in the console.

Lol...I tried to shoot a can at about 10 feet and couldn't hit it. Trigger pull is too stiff!

How do you set it so the lower barrel fires first? Half cocked and no safety seems like the easiest/safest way to carry.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I had and still do have a Davis derringer in .32 cal. I shot it rarely but it split open the barrel so I sent it back. They sent me a new one and I only test fired it once (both barrels). It was carried a lot but never shot. I still have it.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Only thing I'm leery of about Davis Industries items is the unavailability of parts. Not sure how accurate this intel is but it's what I operate on: Davis has swapped hands so many times over so many years and been ran so shoddy that part interchangeability is non-existent.

I'm a huge fan of derringers myself though. Love carrying a hammerless double-action Hi Standard .22mag and have a cobra .45/.410 o/u as a car gun.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I've had a Davis .38 for a few years. It's not a range gun at all, I consider it a "Bi^ch, get off of me gun". It does ok in an ankle holster.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Opinion

It's just my opinion, but some things are not good buys at any price.
    Davis derringers, fall into that category.
    If you want something small but high quality, get a NAA mini revolver. They don't come in 38, but do come in 22lr or 22 magnum. They will also give you five shots. There are some new self defense rounds out in 22 magnum and they are very good. They are designed to be shot out of guns with shorter barrels.
    I admit that I have never owned a Davis, but have friends that have. Both individuals have sold them off, and never want to see another one.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    A Davis derringer in 38 special only, (not +P, waste of powder) makes a very inexpensive last ditch, close up (get out of my face) gun that could save the day if you have nothing else. But with only 2 shots, you must use them wisely. Carry always, seldom shoot.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    If you want something small but high quality, get a NAA mini revolver. They don't come in 38, but do come in 22lr or 22 magnum. They will also give you five shots. There are some new self defense rounds out in 22 magnum and they are very good. They are designed to be shot out of guns with shorter barrels.
    I admit that I have never owned a Davis, but have friends that have. Both individuals have sold them off, and never want to see another one.

IMO, I wouldn't carry a Davis Derringer if it was free. NAA mini in .22 mag works just fine for me. 5 shots, good power.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy

Curious as to why do you consider it a "bad buy"? Why did your friends dislike them?

IMO, I wouldn't carry a Davis Derringer if it was free. NAA mini in .22 mag works just fine for me. 5 shots, good power.

Why would you not carry one ? Not trying to argue, just looking for examples/reasons

I wouldn't carry a Hi-Point if it was free but I'd still take the offer up! As I said earlier, this will be a truck or dresser gun.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Curious as to why do you consider it a "bad buy"? Why did your friends dislike them?

Why would you not carry one ? Not trying to argue, just looking for examples/reasons

I wouldn't carry a Hi-Point if it was free but I'd still take the offer up! As I said earlier, this will be a truck or dresser gun.

I wouldn't use one because of it's quality: Extremely heavy, poor machining/casting, very heavy trigger pull. Only has 2 shots. I think it replicates old style gun manufacturing technology. A number of INTERNET articles/reviews exist @ it's problems/safety. I'm just not comfortable trusting my life to it.

So many better options available, even though it's "just a truck/dresser gun." NAA Mini Mag, .380 Pocket Autos, .38 Snubbies..... all of which give you the OPTION of concealed carry....should you choose, at a later date.

IMO, there is just no way you can ankle carry a Davis Derringer comfortably...because of the weight....and effectively deploy it....because of the heavy trigger pull.

You asked... just my :twocents:

PS What's wrong with a Hi-Point? I have one! (But you're right, I wouldn't carry it) LOL :D

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I wouldn't use one because of it's quality: Extremely heavy, poor machining/casting, very heavy trigger pull. Only has 2 shots. I think it replicates old style gun manufacturing technology. A number of INTERNET articles/reviews exist @ it's problems/safety. I'm just not comfortable trusting my life to it.

So many better options available, even though it's "just a truck/dresser gun." NAA Mini Mag, .380 Pocket Autos, .38 Snubbies..... all of which give you the OPTION of concealed carry....should you choose, at a later date.

IMO, there is just no way you can ankle carry a Davis Derringer comfortably...because of the weight....and effectively deploy it....because of the heavy trigger pull.

You asked... just my :twocents:

PS What's wrong with a Hi-Point? I have one! (But you're right, I wouldn't carry it) LOL :D

Interesting, I'll look into the machining and casting. I do EDC an LCR so I understand what you are saying.

But Hi-point!? Really!? The one time I shot a hi-point it wasn't close to enjoyable because of the constant FTE and stove pipes :cool:

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero

Interesting, I'll look into the machining and casting. I do EDC an LCR so I understand what you are saying.

But Hi-point!? Really!? The one time I shot a hi-point it wasn't close to enjoyable because of the constant FTE and stove pipes :cool:

I agree on the Hi Point. I had to send mine back to the factory for a fluff n' buff for exactly he same reasons. Didn't change the way it looks though. Ugly
    icon4.gif

Top Bottom