• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So looking to the collective mind of Ingo for some gear advice I know it is very personal choices just looking to hear opinions and options of others with likely more experience than me.

Right now I carry a sling bag. (Yes a man purse but if you need a tourniquet you won’t be laughing) It’s great but screams gun bag even though I do not carry in it it seems to draw unwanted attention…. My bag gets searched while others pass through un-harassed. I saw a pack at rei but it was on the big side and I am always drawn to fde lol I think it’s my favorite color.

Requirements:
    Waist and chest buckle (even if I don’t use them I’d like the option)
    Bladder bag compartment
    NOT tactical looking at all (I am not ruling out diaper bags)
    Soft frame

Not concerned with color at all grey man is the only thing that I’m looking for I will wear a hipster / hippie looking sack if it works.

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    Not knowing what or how much will be carried, it's hard to make any suggestions. You might want to consider a laptop computer backpack. They can be priced reasonable and sometimes they can be gotten for free if you company rotates them out when new computers are purchased. They do not draw any "tactical" looks.

The bladder bag compart may be an issue.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    a camera bag, especially Lowepro brand, is recognized as such, common and casual - they also come in all shapes & sizes.

Osprey hiking packs are comfortable but not as casual and all the same general shape.

fjallraven makes daypacks and small fanny-packs which are very casual and what I often use for ccw in summer.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I don’t want or need it for CC I carry on body I am just looking for something that doesn’t make “bag checking” security look so hard at mine. I went to an event yesterday…… no weapons knives guns etc etc……. Not only did I come in with all my knives and my cc also a decommissioned hand Grenade. (Was for a signature)

I did NOT carry my bag in though because I saw them rifling through others stuff.

I carry a chest seal tourniquet tampons bandaids shears phone charger spare mag wallet etc etc nothing big and bulky. The stuff I am carrying is ALMOST too much for my viktos ccw sling bag I would prefer no molle on it nothing that says tactical ccw or military to the general public. I know the bladder bag request makes it a little more challenging and I am willing to drop that requirement if all others are met.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    a camera bag, especially Lowepro brand, is recognized as such, common and casual - they also come in all shapes & sizes.

Osprey hiking packs are comfortable but not as casual and all the same general shape.

fjallraven makes daypacks and small fanny-packs which are very casual and what I often use for ccw in summer.
    Amazon product ASIN B073C6F89N
    Looks like this one almost fits the bill….

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I just went through the same thing in looking for a day pack that suited my needs and ended up with a Mystery Ranch Gallagator
    that goes for $89. There are waist, chest and compression straps, does not come with a hydration bag but is compatible with one. The shoulder straps are rather thin and I guess that's why companies sell extra shoulder strap padding. It's not a problem unless the pack is loaded up good with weight.

Eberlestock Bandit looks good, is more oblong and could probably hold something like a 10/22 takedown if that is a requirement but is more $$.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I would say if your primary concern is non-permissive environment/security searches (even just for hassle’s sake and not carrying anything untoward,) I’d recommend staying away from military colors (FDE, camo, ranger green) and features (MOLLE, velcro, carabiners) and staying within the social parameters of your AO. Business/office building with lots of laptops? A black or grey laptop backpack from OGIO or similar will blend in. Something a little more hip like a Chrome or Timbuktu will have a little more cool factor. Vertx will be tacticool but not necessarily look like it. Some of the 5.11 packs will work but again, watch for MOLLE and velcro.

If you really want to be boujie, and care about made in the US by hand, a good Hidden Woodsmen ruck or Holley pack would be a good selection. The Holley does have a Velcro patch, however. I have the EDC ruck as my daily bag and it’s perfect.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I would say if your primary concern is non-permissive environment/security searches (even just for hassle’s sake and not carrying anything untoward,) I’d recommend staying away from military colors (FDE, camo, ranger green) and features (MOLLE, velcro, carabiners) and staying within the social parameters of your AO. Business/office building with lots of laptops? A black or grey laptop backpack from OGIO or similar will blend in. Something a little more hip like a Chrome or Timbuktu will have a little more cool factor. Vertx will be tacticool but not necessarily look like it. Some of the 5.11 packs will work but again, watch for MOLLE and velcro.

If you really want to be boujie, and care about made in the US by hand, a good Hidden Woodsmen ruck or Holley pack would be a good selection. The Holley does have a Velcro patch, however. I have the EDC ruck as my daily bag and it’s perfect.

Can’t find the Holley?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    And no I am not trying to “smuggle” illegal things. Just don’t want to be hassled or targeted.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I misspelled, apologies.

Also, I realize that the Holly pack doesn’t have a spot for a hip belt or a hydration tube port. It is, however, a great quality EDC pack that would blend in in every contemporary environment, made in the US by a cottage maker!
    I like that one it is missing some key elements I was hoping for but I am seeing I may need to sacrifice a few of my requirements. I really hate that color of the holly

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I like that one it is missing some key elements I was hoping for but I am seeing I may need to sacrifice a few of my requirements. I really hate that color of the holly
    Yeah, I can see that. Depends on your ability to blend in or maybe some “security through obscurity” as it doesn’t look like tacticool pack. I can vouch for the quality from Hidden Woodsmen and just wanted to pass along a good deal!

Aside from that, I think Vertx may be a good option since they most of your desired features and do a good job of blending in.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Yeah, I can see that. Depends on your ability to blend in or maybe some “security through obscurity” as it doesn’t look like tacticool pack. I can vouch for the quality from Hidden Woodsmen and just wanted to pass along a good deal!

Aside from that, I think Vertx may be a good option since they most of your desired features and do a good job of blending in.
    Wow I really like this one but I think it’s too big for edc….. https://vertx.com/gamut-overland-backpack

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You know what I am going to say? Osprey :)

This is my day pack currently(over two years now and around 600 miles of hiking with it).

Feel free to ask anything about it. I can answer. I went grayman awhile back. Tacticool is not what I want. Useful and rugged yes.

I may go with yours little brother…… still unsure if a backpack is the answer to what I am looking for might be a bit much for edc….
    Sling bag = too tactical drawing attention
    Fanny pack = too small and I don’t like the way it distributes weight and affects cc
    Back pack = unknown possibly too big

Real quagmire here if it weren’t for drawing attention sling bag is almost perfect albeit it touch small and not much for organization with limited space

Top Bottom