• ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Ok peeps,
    She who must be obeyed and I are making a day trip to Indy to go to the State Museum and the Eiteljorg Museum. Anything special I should know about the area, or anything special to look at at the museums?
    we were also planning on using an Applebee's gift card for lunch. The closest one to the museum is Pike Place Plaza. How's the area? ok or sketchy?
    Thanks!

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I would take a look at the museum's websites and see if there is anything special going on the day you will be visiting.

The Applebee's at Pike's Plaza would probably be the last Applebee's in the entire area I would visit. I would suggest driving out to the Applebee's in Speedway and plan your route to go past the Motor Speedway.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've never had any issues in the area around the museums. Nice area and lots of cops, usually. You ain't gonna get mugged in the Eiteljorg. There are no preschools or the like in the museums either, so you could carry concealed (they might get freaked if you OC). Have a great time! Can't speak to the Applebee's, though. I've eaten at them twice and that was two times too many. Plenty of great, local, non-chain restaurants in Indy to choose from.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would take a look at the museum's websites and see if there is anything special going on the day you will be visiting.

The Applebee's at Pike's Plaza would probably be the last Applebee's in the entire area I would visit. I would suggest driving out to the Applebee's in Speedway and plan your route to go past the Motor Speedway.

Funny, we eat there all the time. Never an issue. Wife and her mother go there 2 or 3 times a month.
    That said, I agree with the route suggested. Take 16th St. out past the Speedway, through the roundabout and west on Crawfordsville rd.

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    I try to stay away from the Pike Plaza area as much as possible. Unfortunately that area has gone downhill in the last 20 years. There are quite often shootings at the Lafayette Square Mall which is right across the street. There are several other Applebees around the area you could go to. I would just stay away from that one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I try to stay away from the Pike Plaza area as much as possible. Unfortunately that area has gone downhill in the last 20 years. There are quite often shootings at the Lafayette Square Mall which is right across the street. There are several other Applebees around the area you could go to. I would just stay away from that one.

Pike Plaza is a mile or so up the road from Laff. Square.
    Not the best one in the city so the one in Speedway would be better.
    I have no issues with the plaza area. I live fairly close.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Ok peeps,
    She who must be obeyed and I are making a day trip to Indy to go to the State Museum and the Eiteljorg Museum. Anything special I should know about the area, or anything special to look at at the museums?
    we were also planning on using an Applebee's gift card for lunch. The closest one to the museum is Pike Place Plaza. How's the area? ok or sketchy?
    Thanks!

I would avoid Pike Plaza. It is not far from Lafayette Scare Mall and across the street from some lower-income apartments. But that is just my opinion.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That's a lot to do in one day. The state museum alone is a full day trip IMO. The Eiteljorg is smaller so you can probably start there first and get through in a couple of hours.

Personally I would skip the Applebees. It's not that close and you're not going to want to pack up and leave the museums in the middle of the day, drive out to eat and then come back, park again, etc. You're looking at a two hour round trip, minimum.

Pack a nice lunch for the two of you to share. If the weather is nice you can find a spot along the canal. If not, there are plenty of spots inside the museums where you can stop and take a rest for lunch.

There are Applebees everywhere. Use the gift card another day.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I will pile on here and recommend that you skip the Applebees and stay close to the museum area that you are interested in. As mentioned, there is a TGI Friday right across the street from the Eiteljorg. Walk over and eat lunch there or brown bag it. Someone mentioned the War Memorial and I would like to add Indy's best secret place to take people -- The Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum. It is under the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in the circle at the center of downtown. This small museum is amazing and should be on your radar. If you don't have time on this trip, come back for it another time.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Unfortunately the war memorial museums are closed on Mondays, the day we will be in Indy.
    We will eat somewhere else. Thanks everyone

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    You could go to the Speedway Museum at the track, and take a ride around the track in a shuttle bus, that's pretty cool. Then after that come back out onto 16th street and go west on Crawfordsville Rd. to the Applebee's about a mile west of the track. It's still a good place to eat, and not far from 465 on the west side of town.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I've been to the museum many times and it's always a good time. I take a lot of friends there that come from out of town, and they always enjoy it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Bill, you could go a few blocks east and find all kinds of good restaurants. Maxine's Chicken and waffles is about 8 or 10 blocks east of the museums. Or go hit up Shapiro's. You and the boss have lots of good choices downtown!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom