• Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    What are you even talking about?

If there’s one thing farmers don’t believe in, it’s just in time delivery.
    If we’re interacting with people it’s because they’re up the hours with us.

No.
    You’re spitballing here.
    When I say “no” I am not.
    Some will argue just to attempt to justify their position. No real knowledge of facts, just arguing for the sake of arguing. That’s what I believe is going on here.

I go to the feed store when it’s open and fits in my schedule. The seed guy delivers when he gets here, he knows where it goes. Same for the fuel guy. If a storm or rain are coming I could be in the field for 30 or more hours straight wife brings food to the field.

Light, dark, light again. I don’t care what a mechanical device says. But I’m too lazy to change the clock anyway so it’s a moot point. :lmfao:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I do not think it as true as you seem to believe, I’m sure some feel just as you do but that thinking seems to me to come from old school farming, not modern computerized, connected farming, that is networking to buy, sell, and procure supplies. They have to do business with the rest of society. I suspect they are as divide as we are…

Are they interviewing farmers that agree? I agree it was more for the suburban life than rural, but now a lot of rural is just as connected as everywhere else…
    None of that connected commerce relies on brick-and-mortar open/close hours.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Th

That is not what he said. He said “I don't need daylight until 10 PM.” There is no daylight at 10 pm. You know this but I will tell you anyway. When the sun sets at 9:16 pm it gets appreciably darker and it gradually gets darker until 9:50 when it is full dark. It is not light at 10 pm.
    It's not "full dark" at 9:50. You're skipping two full twilight phases: nautical twilight ad astronomical twilight. For Indianapolis, at peak sun cycle:

9:16: Sunset
    9:16 - 9:50: Civil Twilight (sun below horizon but essentially still full light in sky
    9:50 - 10:30: Nautical Twilight (still light in sky, but enough visibility of stars for nautical navigation; artificial light may be required)
    10:30 - 11:18: Astronomical Twilight (artificial light required, if light pollution, may be indistinguishable from night sky)
    11:18: Night (full dark)

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Th

That is not what he said. He said “I don't need daylight until 10 PM.” There is no daylight at 10 pm. You know this but I will tell you anyway. When the sun sets at 9:16 pm it gets appreciably darker and it gradually gets darker until 9:50 when it is full dark. It is not light at 10 pm.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    None of that connected commerce relies on brick-and-mortar open/close hours.
    If I know a sale is Mon. Tue. Wed. I load the animals up the day before and haul them to the sale barn n put them in a paddock (24 hrs. a day) the sale barn has their auction they send the check directly to my farm account. They don’t have to be open for business and I don’t have to be there when they are.

In harvest season some of the elevators extend there hours to accommodate the harvest. Some only closing for 5 hrs. between openings.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is no “daylight until 10 PM”. The latest sunset in Indy is 9:16 and that runs for about 30 days beginning about June 10th. Civil twilight ends at about 9:50.

As I have said repeatedly in this thread, there is no good time for Indy because we only have two choices, to be the early bird, meaning having among the earliest sunrises in the country or the night owl having among the later sunsets in the country. That is the result of your point that we are the west edge of eastern or the east edge of central.
    If we have to change, then let's go all the way and change to Pacific Time so I can watch the late NFL games. :thumbsup:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Those who want DST should try having a job that starts at 5am. It's awesome trying to sleep at 9 when the sun doesn't set until 10:30. I ended up with 5% window tint and blackout blinds on the window in the bedroom, in addition to the child like "why do I have to go to bed? the sun is still up" in my head everyday.
    Yep same here! I moved to Indiana in 1988 and really liked the no time change as it was then, no broad daylight past 9 PM plus never having to re-set clocks and watches. . Got dark like it did when I lived back in NC for 16 years. Now the way it is I have never been able to sleep when its daylight and its even worse when there is OT starting at 4AM.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Some of the farmers I know like DST because it matches up the working hours of suppliers they need to their long workdays. People that are too lazy to change clocks love that “save daylight” BS, while the truth is the vast majority of people work a typical days time frame, and prefer to shift the time of society so there is more sunlight after work, no savings required unless you want to define shifting the time as saving the available daylight until after work.

Why would you “country bumpkins” care?

Just ask the NWS what time the storm will be there…
    And yet the parts of my post you quoted show that it isn't vast, and isn't even a majority, that wants full time DST

Year round standard time for the win. Es ist zu Ihrem eigenen Wohl

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And yet the parts of my post you quoted show that it isn't vast, and isn't even a majority, that wants full time DST

Year round standard time for the win. Es ist zu Ihrem eigenen Wohl
    Maf is hard. The point is there is no organized majority that wants to change it in any configuration. In the real world I have never heard such weeping and nashing of teeth as I do here. There is no political movement on this and outside of the complaining when the time changes it is leaving me to wonder if the hurt is simply over the fact people must update their clocks and it is a reminder to some there are authorities over themselves…

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Maf is hard. The point is there is no organized majority that wants to change it in any configuration. In the real world I have never heard such weeping and nashing of teeth as I do here. There is no political movement on this and outside of the complaining when the time changes it is leaving me to wonder if the hurt is simply over the fact people must update their clocks and it is a reminder to some there are authorities over themselves…
    And the argument to justify one’s position carries on.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And the argument to justify one’s position carries on.

This shows that while when asked there are several opinions, there is no majority opinion. Do you hear folks complaining about this other than clock change time?

Policies that Americans prefer​

A bar chart showing what policy Americans prefer according to a YouGov poll on Daylight Saving Time.
    Change to permanent DST

31%
    Keep changing clocks twice a year

21%
    Change to permanent standard time

19%
    Not sure if change

17%
    Change, but no preference/not sure

11%
    Chart: Shayanne Gal/Insider Source: YouGov poll from March 6–9, 2023

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    ...if the hurt is simply over the fact people must update their clocks and it is a reminder to some there are authorities over themselves…
    I mean, yeah, kind of. At least in my experience this seems pretty true. And I don't see why it's a bad thing either. It seems pretty well within the traditional American spirit of liberty and independence to resent a government that has become so intrusive into our lives as to try to dictate that twice a year we shift our time for work, school, or any other regularly scheduled activity that goes off the clock. All because they evidently think us peasants need their regulations in order to manage our schedules so as to allow enough daylight hours for our outdoor activities.
    The point is there is no organized majority that wants to change it in any configuration.
    In my experience, the main reason there's no organized majority among us people who really dislike DST is because we just don't like the changing clocks part, and don't really care what system we go to if we can stop changing time back and forth twice a year. So if you give us a poll that requires us to pick an option of what time system we want to go with instead, it'll make us look more divided than we really are, when all we really want is to stop changing the clocks.

I don't really have hard evidence to back this up; I generally distrust polls, and I'm not scientific enough to know which ones you can trust. I just suspect the above is a factor, based on my own experience.
    In the real world I have never heard such weeping and nashing of teeth as I do here.
    This is where I have the opposite experience. In real life, I've pretty much lived in an echo chamber. Everyone I have ever talked to face to face about DST has expressed just about exactly the same sentiment I have: I don't give a care what time configuration we go with, just stop changing the darn clocks twice a year. Before I found this thread, I'd never actually met anyone who liked DST, even online, so at least on the plus side I've finally found someone who can explain to me why they think it's a good idea. Doesn't make me like it anymore, but at least I can finally believe that someone who likes DST does actually exist (assuming you're not just an advanced robot, of course. I haven't actually met you face to face yet. ;))

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    In a sane world, where no strong political will exists one way or the other, the default position should be to implement the policy that causes the least harm/inconvenience - which in this case is clearly to stop changing clocks twice a year.

Top Bottom