• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I’m not defending changing clocks. I like it to stay where I like it. I really prefer zulu time.

But. Just challenging the logic here a little. I don’t remember the exact poll numbers, for the sake of argument let’s say it’s broken into thirds—you can fill in the correct numbers and the same point can be made. So let’s say a third want to stay on DST year round, a third wants to stay on standard time year round. A third want to continue masturbating their clocks twice per year. Can you logically conclude that the two factions that want DST or standard time year round don’t want the clocks changed if it’s the other time that’s kept year round?

I think that if the polling does not separate the difference, it does not imply that not changing the clocks is more important. Maybe some of the DST’ers would rather keep changing their clocks if it means they’d at least get DST most of the year.
    If that's how the survey was conducted, you would have a point. But it's not. The survey asked this question:
    Screenshot 2024-03-07 152550.png
    62% of respondents said that, yes, they would like to see changing of clocks eliminated.

Only after that response, did the survey further poll respondents regarding how they would like to see that elimination implemented.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Define the light level all you want, our bodies need the darkness to start preparing for sleep. If we are to assume that most people work 8 - 5 and need 1 - 2 hours between waking up and beginning work then they need to be sleeping by 9 - 10PM to get the average 8 hours of sleep. This is very difficult being that it isn't dark enough for our bodies to start preparing for sleep at that time. We do at least notice that it's getting darker outside but children who need 10 - 12 hours of sleep barely notice that the sun is getting lower in the sky.
    I do wish the survey had asked a companion question to "Do you prefer to start your day in light/dark/no preference?", by asking, "Do you prefer to end your day in light/dark/no preference?"

Starting the day in darkness is tolerable. It is the forced daylight at the end of the day that is more problematic. (Yes, circadian rhythm is impacted by not having light to begin the day, but it is far more impacted by not having dark for a sufficient amount of time to end the day.)

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I do wish the survey had asked a companion question to "Do you prefer to start your day in light/dark/no preference?", by asking, "Do you prefer to end your day in light/dark/no preference?"

Starting the day in darkness is tolerable. It is the forced daylight at the end of the day that is more problematic. (Yes, circadian rhythm is impacted by not having light to begin the day, but it is far more impacted by not having dark for a sufficient amount of time to end the day.)
    Right, we have a solution for darkness, they're called lights. We don't have a solution for turning off the sun. Yes you can make an individual room dark, but unless you make your whole house dark and never look outside it won't trigger the needed shift in our bodies. To be honest I'm not even sure it would if you did try to black out your house.

I always laugh at the pro clock changing crowd as they typically make statements like "Everyone wants daylight in the evening!" for the summer and then "The children need light in the mornings!" for the winter.
    Make them go out and play golf, so they're tired and fall asleep more easily! Or something...
    They're 2.5 & 6 right now and do golf, basketball, soccer, scooters, bikes, RC vehicles, squirt guns, etc... I don't think I've ever seen them stop even when we can clearly see that they're tired. I don't think they'd fall asleep easily until they passed out from exhaustion. :):

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Personally I love the light in the evening. Allows me to get more done outdoors after work. My workdays start in the dark pretty much year round so that aspect makes no difference to me at all.

Some of you are lucky (obviously my opinion) getting daylight till 10pm. Best I get is 9 up here

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Define the light level all you want, our bodies need the darkness to start preparing for sleep. If we are to assume that most people work 8 - 5 and need 1 - 2 hours between waking up and beginning work then they need to be sleeping by 9 - 10PM to get the average 8 hours of sleep. This is very difficult being that it isn't dark enough for our bodies to start preparing for sleep at that time. We do at least notice that it's getting darker outside but children who need 10 - 12 hours of sleep barely notice that the sun is getting lower in the sky.
    Not to be flip but if living on the western edge of a is bad for peoples health they should probably move to the eastern edge…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Personally I love the light in the evening. Allows me to get more done outdoors after work. My workdays start in the dark pretty much year round so that aspect makes no difference to me at all.

Some of you are lucky (obviously my opinion) getting daylight till 10pm. Best I get is 9 up here
    And that is the result of being on the leading eastern edge of a time zone. So while I enjoy and use those 9:15 sunsets, the best you get is 8:15. Will the region ever dump Chicago time?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Not to be flip but if living on the western edge of a is bad for peoples health they should probably move to the eastern edge…
    You hit on a key point here. Sun cycle issues are primarily a concern for extremes: the extreme east/west edges of time zones, and extreme north latitudes. The closer to the center of a time zone, and the closer to the equator, these issues generally don't exist. (Which is why the world trend now is away from DST/clock-changing, given where a majority of the world's population lives with respect to these sun-cycle extremes.)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You hit on a key point here. Sun cycle issues are primarily a concern for extremes: the extreme east/west edges of time zones, and extreme north latitudes. The closer to the center of a time zone, and the closer to the equator, these issues generally don't exist. (Which is why the world trend now is away from DST/clock-changing, given where a majority of the world's population lives with respect to these sun-cycle extremes.)
    Also, these discussions invariably talk about the extremes. Whether it is 10 pm sunsets or 9:30 am sunrises it is always about the extremes with little thought given to the mean.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Also, these discussions invariably talk about the extremes. Whether it is 10 pm sunsets or 9:30 am sunrises it is always about the extremes with little thought given to the mean.
    While I despise the forced daylight when my sleep cycle should be starting, my consistent position has been my opposition to the societal impact inherent with changing clocks twice a year - which is an impact as much at the means as it is at the extremes.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Or we need MORE time zones...like maybe 5 min increments or is it excrements?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That headline is inaccurate, the people cannot agree on what the legislatures should do. Legislation is often tendered, at both federal and state levels, but there never has been enough momentum for any of them to get beyond a couple of headlines.

Then at time change, like now, it is on the calendar of many in media to get their twice yearly clicks…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That headline is inaccurate, the people cannot agree on what the legislatures should do. Legislation is often tendered, at both federal and state levels, but there never has been enough momentum for any of them to get beyond a couple of headlines.

Then at time change, like now, it is on the calendar of many in media to get their twice yearly clicks…
    So it's actually a media conspiracy to keep this going. I never made the connection!

Top Bottom