• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sure. Because the amount of ambient light necessary to shoot safely on a range is different from the amount of ambient light necessary to mow grass.
    Idunno. I think what is safe for one lawn might not be safe for another. But also, i think we’re getting too hung up on lawn mowing. There are lots of projects people can do after work, before it gets too dark.

I think it’s perfectly fine for you to argue that the extra hour of daylight after work doesn’t matter to you. I get that. We have our different preferences. But there are people who want to do as much as they can with the daylight left after work. And we can do an hour more no matter how you define sunset, twilight or whatever.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Uhhh, dew forms when the temperature-dew point spread becomes ≤ 3 degrees F and peaks at the dew point. While more common when radiational cooling is going on, non-daylight hours are not always sufficient to cause dew. Generally, not much more than 20 Fahrenheit degrees of cooling will take place during the entire overnight period and a temperature-dew point spread of much over 20 degrees will not result in the formation of dew. The likelihood of dew formation immediately after sundown would require a very low spread and be about as likely as fog under the same conditions
    So basically the average humid as **** August in Southern Indiana. When dew shows up in the twilight.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    When you wake up in the morning, poke your head out the door. Take a deep breath. Breathe in deeply. That’s DST air right there. The smell of Spring.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Actually. Now throwing the bikes in the truck and heading to Floyd’s Fork after work is on the table again.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I find it funny that the answer to that isn't to change your schedule so that you are free earlier to enjoy said light, but rather to just pretend it is now later than it is instead.
    Like virtually everyone, my schedule was loosely based around my employer's business hours, my wife's employer business hours, my doctor's business hours, activities we wanted to participate in, etc.

Changing all those collective schedules would be an unneeded nightmare.

Far easier to get a group of politicians to order clocks to be changed twice a year.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Idunno. I think what is safe for one lawn might not be safe for another. But also, i think we’re getting too hung up on lawn mowing. There are lots of projects people can do after work, before it gets too dark.

I think it’s perfectly fine for you to argue that the extra hour of daylight after work doesn’t matter to you. I get that. We have our different preferences. But there are people who want to do as much as they can with the daylight left after work. And we can do an hour more no matter how you define sunset, twilight or whatever.
    I am responding within the specific context of someone claiming that lack of DST in summer would adversely impact a lawn-mowing side hustle.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So basically the average humid as **** August in Southern Indiana. When dew shows up in the twilight.
    Still likely not dew, unless you're talking about morning twilight. There may also be evaporation from recent rain or lawn watering. But the air temperature, generally speaking, does not approach the dew point until early morning. The earth is radiating too much latent heat during/through evening twilight for ambient air temperature to drop enough to approach the dew point. There are, again, certainly localized edge cases. (And I'm guessing those would also often be associated with foggy conditions.)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Still likely not dew, unless you're talking about morning twilight. There may also be evaporation from recent rain or lawn watering. But the air temperature, generally speaking, does not approach the dew point until early morning. The earth is radiating too much latent heat during/through evening twilight for ambient air temperature to drop enough to approach the dew point. There are, again, certainly localized edge cases. (And I'm guessing those would also often be associated with foggy conditions.)

Idunno. We get dew points in the mid 70's regularly during the dog days. Temps often dip down into that range after sunset. Maybe it's not dew. But, after the sun sets, the grass starts getting more moist. If I remember, I'll rub my hands over the grass on such an evening, and photograph my wet hands, with a timestamp, and post it here.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am responding within the specific context of someone claiming that lack of DST in summer would adversely impact a lawn-mowing side hustle.
    It needs no analysis he has an extra hour of light to do his work than he did a month ago.

Was just noting at dinner with friends that a month ago sunset was about 5:30 pm, now it is after 8 pm. We love it!

Top Bottom