• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I’m taking a trip to South Dakota in June to check out the badlands, Mt. Rushmore and all that good stuff. I have a 60L pack that is just to big for a day pack so I’m looking for something new.

I’ll be traveling with my wife and 7 and 5 year old kids. So no crazy long hikes but I’ll be the pack mule with jackets, snacks, water, camera, etc...

I’m leaning towards the Osprey Talon, but I would love any and all suggestions. I’m 6’1” so something around 40-44lL isn’t out of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have the Talon and love it for overnight lightweight trips. It’d be a good daypack, but be aware it’s not super durable fabric. My newest favorite daypack is the Maine Warden from LL Bean. Fairly durable and weather resistant without looking “tactical.”

FWIW, I have a -lot- of packs, so this is not a limited opinion.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    A lot of reviews on the talon talked about how light it is and I was concerned the fabric might not hold up. The LL bean pack looks pretty comfy.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I just bought an Osprey Stratos 24. I wanted a nice day pack/overnight bag. This bag had most of what I was looking for. I think they make a 36L and a 50L, so not exactly the size you want. I haven't used it yet. It is basically a smaller version of my Aether 70L. Similar material and features.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Not answering your question, but be sure to drive through Custer State Park. Prairie dog towns, and lots of bison. We saw two herds when we went. Stop at the little way stations along the road. That's where we found out exactly where the herds were, as people would stop in and share that info.

1619963189910.png

And the Iron Mountain Road from Mt. Rushmore to the north entrance of the park is pretty cool. A couple of loop-backs, one of which frames Mt. Rushmore as you go through it. Have your camera ready, but it's a tough shot to get right. Ours turned out way too bright from the tunnel so we couldn't see Mt. Rushmore very well.

eta: This was in June as well, so you are likely to see the babies!

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I use an Osprey Talon 22 for day hikes. My larger, short overnight pack, is an Osprey Kestrel 38. Very happy with both. They are well-built, with the Kestrel being heavier and more durable. The Kestrel probably has a lot of features you wouldn't need for a day hike (e.g. sleeping bag compartment, ice axe loops, extra load carrying capability, etc.).

If you're near an REI, consider taking all the gear you anticipate carrying and see what pack size/model makes the most sense.

Here are the features I'd want in a day pack...
    • Lightweight, yet durable
    • Hydration bladder compartment (for days you need 2-3L of water)
    • External water bottle pockets (for those quicker day hikes that don't necessitate the hydration bladder)
    • Hip belt pockets (for snacks, lip balm, compass, etc.)
    • Front panel stretch pocket (for storing extra layers/small jackets or rain gear)
    • Breathable back panel with good suspension and proper horizontal chest strap for securing hydration hose
    • Enough volume for what you're carrying, but no more.
    The Talon is a perfect day hike pack, imo and comes in a multitude of volumes. Whatever size of pack you choose, you'll probably fill it, so I'd lean towards something smaller/lighter for short day hikes. My Talon 22 doesn't have a "brain" on top...the Kestrel 38 does. Some of the larger Talon's do have a brain. If you have a bunch of small stuff that you need quick access to, the brain really helps.

Osprey Talon 22

Heck, size the kids up for small packs too so they can carry their own snacks, flashlight, etc.! I'm sure they would enjoy the responsibility of "helping" Dad carry the necessary items. This would allow you to easily slip into the Osprey Talon 22, or something similar.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There are a thousand options for you...

To me - things kind of come down to "how much weight, for how long, and for how far". I have an Osprey day pack that I use every time we go hiking. A) I cannot think of the model right now and B ) none of the models they sell now ring a bell so probably not made any more anyhow. (Actually - i think I have an older style Quasar)

It's a day pack / multi-use / commuter / computer bag that has a laptop pouch in it.

Anyhow - it works GREAT. The exterior / lateral mesh pockets allow for a water bottle on either side - plus I can and often do put 2 more 32oz Nalgene bottles inside. Also toted are a bunch of snacks, another knife or two, TP, first aid, and various other things that a dad needs to have.

BUT I'm not relegated to being the only pack-mule, either. My wife also carries a backpack to help spread the burden around. (I also HIGHLY suggest this). I also highly suggest your kids carrying a small pack, too, if you have it for them. Seriously. Spread that weight around so you're not so heavy yourself.

Anyhow - even without a waist belt, I've not ever really been uncomfortable with this Osprey that I have - despite it not really being designed for day hiking. It helps that the longer we're out the lighter the pack becomes as the water gets consumed... AND, if I hold my mouth just right, I can get a weekend's worth of clothes into it if we go out of town. (Save the sundries - they go in my wife's gargantuan duffel bag)

Top Bottom