DC police chief urges citizens to take down active shooters if they can. What?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've been wondering about just such a situation.
    Let' s say your downtown on Monument Circle, suddenly a gunman starts shooting at anyone in sight and by chance your in a perfect position to take him out before he can do more damage and so you do. One shot right in the head and he's down.
    Now! In runs a cop and sees you with your gun and he takes you out.
    Umm, I don't think so. Sounds like a loose, loose proposition to me.
    As edgey as cops are today, I wonder if I would take the chance.

Discussion.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thats a pretty big assumption that folks like Frank, VUPDBlue, BBI, et al are immediately going to drop you at the sight of a gun based on that description. Yes, you might risk running into an officer Jason Van Dyke, but he seems to be the exception.

dollars to donuts you will be told not so politely to drop your weapon first. (provided you arent pointing at that arriving officer)

Follow their instructions, and you should be OK.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If you are talking about Washington DC what are they supposed to use? Aside from the perps, who has "takedown" equipment in that gunfree zone?

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Someone on another thread mentioned throwing smartphones at the baddies. Maybe there is a new "Ninja-app"?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    What a great idea, an app that turns your smart phone into a Shuriken. All you techies get to work on that app, it will make you a million.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Bright Firearms instructor trainee :)

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Nah this is a bit more stylish.
    tactical-sash.jpg

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If you are talking about Washington DC what are they supposed to use? Aside from the perps, who has "takedown" equipment in that gunfree zone?

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

This is what I was thinking, few people, in Wash. D. C. have guns, let alone have a "carry permit" .....

What is one to do ?????

I think someone on INGO, should make us a jacket, NO hoodies, PLEASE, that says, GOOD GUY, with a gun !!!!!

JMHO, YMMV .....

b0r0b

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    You take that chance. I'd rather die by cop trying to save the lives of those around me (could also be your family, or your neighbors wife. Maybe your kid from college is coming home to visit and he's in the crowd but you haven't seen him yet?) you have to consider how much life would really be worth living if you could've done something but did nothing. It's unacceptable to expect you to run into a bank where you hear gunshots from, but if you're in the same area it should be an expectation. And by the way, no offense to the police, average response time isn't less than 3 seconds, more than enough time for you to do the deed and reholster. I would argue why you even carry a handgun if you wouldn't engage in this seemingly "attached" consequence.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Coming from the Washington DC Police force, I take this more as a 'If you see a mass shooter, all of you nobodies run and absorb his bullets before he can get to someone that matters' type statement. They have denied most people any means of combatting a mass shooter other than acting as a bullet sponge. The only way I would see this any differently would be if they suddenly also started asking people to apply for carry permits and actually approved them.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    What a great idea, an app that turns your smart phone into a Shuriken. All you techies get to work on that app, it will make you a million.

That would make your smart phone illegal in Indiana.

Machine gun, switch blade, sawed off shotgun, silencers, etc. etc. no problem.

Throwing knife, throwing stat (shuriken) is a crime to posses in Indiana. Had a person I knew pulled over and the cop asked if he could search his vehicle. The guy broke the rules and fell for the old "if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't have a problem". They found a necklace with a shuriken on it in the console. Arrested, posted bail, charged with possession of a throwing star in Indiana. Maybe we can get some Ninja laws revoked while we are on a roll, cause hey "Merica".

Ind. Code § 35-47-5-12 : Indiana Code - Section 35-47-5-12: "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses[FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT][FONT=&amp][/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] [/FONT]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How much time does that add to your draw? Might be good for going in pursuit of a mass murderer in a mall though--until the next time when the copy-cat murderer gets one too.

What do you mean add time? You suppose to wear it all the time and keep the sash slanted away from your draw. Does it come in left handed models?

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close

Exactly! The last time I was in D.C., I could not even get back into the parking garage to get my car because I had a simple three blade jack knife in my pocket. My wife had to go through security with the kids and retrieve the car, meeting me on the street.

Top Bottom