• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I respect him for his service. I also feel sorry for him, and hope he gets help when the inevitable PTSD arrives. It's bad enough when you have to kill someone, let alone the amount he did.
    Not everyone is bound by the same psychological processes or moral codes. :twocents:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Military counts everything....lol....I like the guy, he stated he wrote the book for his unit and he also said there are guys that have done the same and even more than he has. His blood cancer has come back for the second time, it is from all the ammo he used over 10 yrs....prayers for this guy to overcome. He is the real life Sgt. Rock.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Out of curiosity, how does the military confirm kills exactly? Do all soldiers come away knowing how many kills they have? Always wondered that.

To the first question, embedded Bob Costas wannabes (stats freaks).

To the second, it's in the stats table on the back of the card.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I spoke with a DU guru and his claims on the round going radioactive when fired is not true... DU part is a small penetrator inside the round. Said there could be traces in what they hit but doubts enough to do much. Said if what he said what true then anyone who has ever got near an A-10 would have severe cancer.

Said probably got sick from all the contractors burnin things that were supposed to be insenerated or all the other junk in the air.

He said there is quite a bit of info on the net on the rounds if you wanted to learn.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm recalling from somewhere him saying "counting skulls". I would think if you shot at something with a DU round & it blew up and was burning then you handled the charred skull, you'd be exposed to DU. Just thinking gout loud.

Pic courtesy Mr Brown:
    SAM_0250.JPG

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm recalling from somewhere him saying "counting skulls". I would think if you shot at something with a DU round & it blew up and was burning then you handled the charred skull, you'd be exposed to DU. Just thinking gout loud.

Pic courtesy Mr Brown:
    SAM_0250.JPG

That is my favorite pic of him...because I'm right next to him! :):

It doesn't work to count arms or legs of bomb makers, you get an odd number too often.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I spoke with a DU guru and his claims on the round going radioactive when fired is not true... DU part is a small penetrator inside the round. Said there could be traces in what they hit but doubts enough to do much. Said if what he said what true then anyone who has ever got near an A-10 would have severe cancer.

Said probably got sick from all the contractors burnin things that were supposed to be insenerated or all the other junk in the air.

He said there is quite a bit of info on the net on the rounds if you wanted to learn.

The way those particles are absorbed into the body are when they impact and create dust like particles that can be inhaled.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    The way those particles are absorbed into the body are when they impact and create dust like particles that can be inhaled.

The. He would have to have been hitting targets practically a few feet away because by the time they got out of the Bradley what's in the air would be lo g gone or so dispersed that it would not be an issue.... Not to mention look at all the Bradley crews out there... Don't hear about them getting sick....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    No doubt, but everyone I know including myself who've had to deal with it..has had to deal with the aftermath in one negative form or another. It might not be right after the event, but it's happened.
    and I know many that don't/haven't/aren't....

It's an individual thing. Not everyone falls to it. Hence, it's not "inevitable."

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    and I know many that don't/haven't/aren't....

It's an individual thing. Not everyone falls to it. Hence, it's not "inevitable."

Agree, not inevitable, and takes many forms, some of which nobody else would ever notice. Everyone deals with things differently.

Also, on the Bradley to sniper thing, certainly possible. 11Ms go to sniper school fairly often.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Agree, not inevitable, and takes many forms, some of which nobody else would ever notice. Everyone deals with things differently.

Also, on the Bradley to sniper thing, certainly possible. 11Ms go to sniper school fairly often.

When I was in, I think each Bradley company was supposed to have a company sniper. Don't think they actually had to go to sniper school. It was more of a "hey, you shoot that m16 well. Here's a 308 rifle. You're now the company sniper". I almost never saw the rifle out of the arms room.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    When I was in, I think each Bradley company was supposed to have a company sniper. Don't think they actually had to go to sniper school. It was more of a "hey, you shoot that m16 well. Here's a 308 rifle. You're now the company sniper". I almost never saw the rifle out of the arms room.
    Sounds like DMs

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

Definitely possible, but they can also go to sniper school if their unit sends them. I was in a mech infantry unit for a couple of years in Germany and we probably sent... oh, maybe a dozen guys to sniper school. You will definitely spend more time on your Bradley gunnery than on your mad sniper skills, and IMHO, a 25mm is a better sniper weapon than a .308. Better yet, if you're combat-sliced, have your attached buddy send his regards from a 120mm smoothbore.

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit

^This is more in line with what I was trying to say. Having to kill in of itself is a life-changing event, and it will result in changes. Hopefully, the stress can be channeled into something positive.

Top Bottom