• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Would like to start this off by saying I am in full support of the death penalty. What really bugs me is groups against it. They say it's cruel. Really? Well, you know what else was cruel? The senseless violent killing of the murderer's victims.

This lethal injection business really bugs me as well. It is very expensive, the drugs are in short supply, and it is about as peaceful a death as one can ask for. Why do we worry about their comfort. I'd prefer the method of death be chosen by the victim's family, but that won't happen. I say we do bring back hanging though. Nobody fears lethal injection, but I think seeing some people swining on the gallows would scare off your average thug from shooting that convenience store clerk.

And on the note of your average thug, we are much too conservative in administering the death penalty. Violent murders during robberies, rapes, home invasions, and the like should warrant the death penalty more often than not. What good does it do to lock them up for life? Or even worse, let them out in 30 years. Older, nothing to lose, desperate, and without career skills. I smell a repeat offender. They had no mercy for their victims so why do we insist on treating them with the utmost of care?

Excuse me if I offend the bleeding hearts or come off as a bit too blood-thirsty, but I am tired of the system wasting money and time going easy on scum.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I will not debate you on this one, because I support the death penalty as well. I too do not understand why we are so concerned with gruelty to those who have been found guilty of murder. I do believe that they have the right to due process including the appeal system (although that process seems to be much too long).

Just curious ... What button was pushed to get you so excited about this tonight?

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I think it should be used more often and used to replace any sentence over 20 years.

Think about the thousands of dollars spent to keep people like Charlie Manson alive...just get rid of them.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I agree with Mr. Nugent, i don't believe in repeat offenders , i believe in dead offenders! with that said, i believe any crime against children should be an automatic death sentence. Any violent crime committed with a firearm should be automatic life sentence.And when we find 32 dead kids buried under a man's house in chicago, and he admitts doing the crime, I don't really think we need to spend millions on a trail to see if he's crazy!:twocents:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Funny you're talking about the monetary aspect. From a past debate which I was forced to go on the other opinion, can you tell me the cost to execute a high profile inmate vs incarceration for life?

You have to pay for CC TV, added security, overtime and all...account for all of that as well as the auto appeal on death penalty cases.

Then tell me the cost of one single life sentence.

You might be surprised by which is actually cheaper.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    In concept I fully support the death penalty. But the problem is, too many people have been convicted of crimes they didn't commit. One innocent person executed for a crime he did not commit is too many. It cannot be allowed to happen. That, and not cruelty, is why I am now no longer in support of it, except in very extreme circumstances.

Sorry if some of you don't support that.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The death penalty is something that should be removed from all consideration. As others have stated, there have been too many cases where people have been sentenced to death and then, fortunately, been exonerated. Sadly, there have also been cases where the exoneration came too late and the state executed an innocent person. I'd rather see 100 guilty people go free than see even one innocent person murdered at the hands of the state.

List of exonerated death row inmates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After 15 years on death row, freedom - CNN.com

The Innocence Project - The Innocent and the Death Penalty

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Rape and child molestation should warrant it
    Entirely agreed, and there really should be a special treatment for them. Hanging and firing squad are actually quick and painless if done correctly. These people need to die slowly and very painfully.

I do agree they retain every right to a fair trial even in cases where the verdict is obvious. Can't make caveats or exceptions or the right to fair trial will slowly erode for the rest of us.

You know, on the innocent convictions how long have these people been in jail? I haven't read on many cases, but of the ones I have it seems the majority were convicted long ago, and just recently released due to DNA evidence. I think that the case should be pretty well waterproof to warrant a death sentence.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The death penalty is something that should be removed from all consideration. As others have stated, there have been too many cases where people have been sentenced to death and then, fortunately, been exonerated. Sadly, there have also been cases where the exoneration came too late and the state executed an innocent person. I'd rather see 100 guilty people go free than see even one innocent person murdered at the hands of the state.

List of exonerated death row inmates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After 15 years on death row, freedom - CNN.com

The Innocence Project - The Innocent and the Death Penalty
    I agree with you in most cases. The area I disagree is killers in which there is NO doubt, Jeffrey Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy, etc. No reason to keep them alive, no reason to have so many appeals.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Funny you're talking about the monetary aspect. From a past debate which I was forced to go on the other opinion, can you tell me the cost to execute a high profile inmate vs incarceration for life?

You have to pay for CC TV, added security, overtime and all...account for all of that as well as the auto appeal on death penalty cases.

Then tell me the cost of one single life sentence.

You might be surprised by which is actually cheaper.

1 round 9mm = $.32

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Rape and child molestation should warrant it
    Sometimes women lie about being raped. Not often, but it has happened. Children have also lied about being molested. Sadly. Innocent people have been jailed on lies and had their lives ruined because of them. Making these crimes punishable by death could result in innocents being murdered by the state. Not worth the risk, IMO. Imprison the perpetrators for life. It's cheaper and they have the rest of their lives to think about their crimes. And then there's no chance we'll murder an innocent.

“My Lie”: Why I falsely accused my father - Salon.com

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So many hunger for a more ruthless and exacting justice system. The irony is that many of these people would consider themselves opponents of "big government." Having the power to kill is a pretty "big" deal, wouldn't you guys say? Its a lot more responsibility than the government can responsibly bear. Do you really need further proof of the corruption that exists in the system from top to bottom? From lying police officers, to corrupt prosecutors, to incompetent DNA analysts, to sellout judges. That's why people call it the injustice system.

And the laws in this country just keep getting more oppressive. A Montana man is currently facing up to 90 years in prison for growing marijuana. Statists will argue that it would be cheaper to just execute him (in the most violent way possible). And who knows what behaviors might become felonies in the future? I just don't trust the government with so much power. Take the license to kill away from them.

Execution serves no purpose aside from satisfying someone's lust for vengeance. Claims of "saving money" by executing prison populations is misguided at best, evil at worst.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    So many hunger for a more ruthless and exacting justice system. The irony is that many of these people would consider themselves opponents of "big government." Having the power to kill is a pretty "big" deal, wouldn't you guys say? Its a lot more responsibility than the government can responsibly bear. Do you really need further proof of the corruption that exists in the system from top to bottom? From lying police officers, to corrupt prosecutors, to incompetent DNA analysts, to sellout judges. That's why people call it the injustice system.

And the laws in this country just keep getting more oppressive. A Montana man is currently facing up to 90 years in prison for growing marijuana. Statists will argue that it would be cheaper to just execute him (in the most violent way possible). And who knows what behaviors might become felonies in the future? I just don't trust the government with so much power. Take the license to kill away from them.

Execution serves no purpose aside from satisfying someone's lust for vengeance. Claims of "saving money" by executing prison populations is misguided at best, evil at worst.
    Rambone, as much as I hate to say it...I couldn't have posted it any better. :o

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Corruption... from top to bottom

The system is only as good as the people who run it. That is to say, the system is overflowing with corruption. If any of the checks and balances break down, you can get framed up pretty easily.

Cops might plant false evidence to get a sure conviction. Detectives might withhold exculpatory evidence to keep a suspect from being cleared. DNA examiners can botch or forge evidence at the request of their corrupt prosecutor buddies. And even judges put a price tag on justice.

It would be unfortunate if your life depended on any of these clowns, which are all too common in the system.

Former judge sentenced to prison for kids for cash scheme

313730_502083289829177_115560255_n.jpg

Indicted drug analyst Annie Dookhan's e-mails reveal her close personal ties to prosecutors
    254496_504724776231695_1081224555_n.jpg

Lawsuit filed against former trooper Lisa Steed & the Utah Highway Patrol
    735129_472327136138126_566178553_n.jpg

Man Falsely Imprisoned For Rabbi's Murder Finally Freed After 23 Years
    602918_507676102603229_44966040_n.jpg

Top Bottom