• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would agree with the 280 for better bullet selection, but everyone knows what a 270 win is and they resell better.
    Otherwise they are virtualy the same ballistically speaking.

I only shoot handloaded centerfire rifle ammunition, and the bullet selection for 7mm is pretty amazing.

I have never owned a .280 but I do have a 30-06; a .280 is basically the same brass and powder capacity with better bullet selection and higher ballistic coefficients for the same bullet weight. That seems like a no-brainer to me if I wanted a long action cartridge.

There's always 7mm mag if someone isn't familiar with .280.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I only shoot handloaded centerfire rifle ammunition, and the bullet selection for 7mm is pretty amazing.

I have never owned a .280 but I do have a 30-06; a .280 is basically the same brass and powder capacity with better bullet selection and higher ballistic coefficients for the same bullet weight. That seems like a no-brainer to me if I wanted a long action cartridge.

There's always 7mm mag if someone isn't familiar with .280.

An idea I have kicked around is having something in the 30/06 family rebarreled to 280 ackley improved.
    You get 7mm mag velocitys in all but the heavy bullet weights with less recoil and less powder, plus extended barrel life.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Actually one of the point of Ackleyizing a case is to extend brass life because the cases won't grow/need trimming as much.

Not that I shoot any of my bigger rifles enough for that to matter...

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    For an entry level bolt gun, I suggest a Thompson Center Venture. Under $500 new and accurate out of the box. I have one in 243 and shoot sub 2 moa out to 600 yards. 270 is a good allaround caliber for almost everything in North America. Happy to let you shoot my 243 if you want.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I love 270 win.
    I have several.A Weatherby mark V,Weatherby Vanguard,Remington 700 CDL,Remington 710,Winchester 70, and last a Winchester wood master in 270 semi auto :)

My favorite is the Mark V,then Vanguard.The only one on that list I paid more than 600 for is the wood master(New from Bradis and it was still a good deal).Not that the Remington 700 is a bad rifle and the Winchester 70 is a tried and true design.

You can pick up a Vanguard 2(sub moa guaranteed out of the box)with a scope for $699,with out a scope for $599(msrp Vanguard Series 2 | Weatherby.com).

I was happy with my Vanguard 1,but did put a Timney trigger in it.Those can be had for less than $450 or so(plus $99 if you put a trigger in it,may as well go with the Vanguard 2).

I advise against 710 or 770s they are junk,and shoot like junk to me.

*edit,I should probably pick up a Savage to rate.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Savage, Remington, and Weatherby all make a fine rifle. Have a 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, 700 in .308, and a an old Vangard in 22-250. All shoot sub-moa. Gotta say the 7mm is my favorite though.

Butler30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Wow good to know there are some choices... Thanks for the help everyone! I may need to read up on long range shooting. Isnt there a formula to calculate for cross wind?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom