• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    I'm looking for a OWB G19 holster for the price around what the Blackhawks are but one that doesn't "bend' away from your body. Had one of the Blackhawks and the grip always leaned away from my body. I want want that will stay tight to my body. Should be plenty of G19 carriers here, so fire away.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Look at KT-Mech holsters. Cheaper than bravo and Raven and damn near as nice. Plus the akela holster looks sweet if u want a retention strap. They make good stuff and quick turnaround time.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Personally I like my Raven Concealment Systems holster for OWB while still keeping the gun held in tight to the body.

It may not be for you if retention is a priority since there is no active retention feature. But if you plan to CC with a shirt or jacket over it then that shouldn't be an issue.

It is sort of pricey though at $90.

RCS35__01834.1405320646.1280.1280.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I really enjoy Raven's stuff. But they're pricing themselves way out of my budget these days.

I also really like Henry Holsters' stuff. I have an OWB holster for my Shield and love it.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Interesting. My SERPA seems to hold mine pretty close. A lot closer than the paddle for my other pistol. Are you using a belt carried, or the paddle for the blackhawk? Could also be the tangent angle of my gut above the belt too.....

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    The easy on/off factor makes the paddle style desireable as well. I like them in their application, but slip back to leather as a concealable rig. Many good ones, and recently tried Tagua leather, imported, and are well made, fit is perfect, eliminates any conceal straps. A dual belt loop model, straddled around a jeans belt loop, makes a secure mount and easy to hide under a flannel shirt with the tails out, or a Henley/vest option. Retention is a personal issue, ditched the thumbreaks years ago, only use a "draw n go" rig that is wet formed to that firearm. Don't use a one size fits all, try to run or low crawl and find your firearm on the pavement/yard. Bad feeling.

Not debasing anyones wear, just saying low profile works better for me. I enjoy casual wear, wore uniforms for years, and plainclothes required a thumbreak style back in the day ....
    Look them up, the other names I look at are Galco, DeSantis, Bianchi, Safariland. All expensive, but worth it to protect my $500-up handguns. They deserve it.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The easy on/off factor makes the paddle style desireable as well. I like them in their application, but slip back to leather as a concealable rig. Many good ones, and recently tried Tagua leather, imported, and are well made, fit is perfect, eliminates any conceal straps. A dual belt loop model, straddled around a jeans belt loop, makes a secure mount and easy to hide under a flannel shirt with the tails out, or a Henley/vest option. Retention is a personal issue, ditched the thumbreaks years ago, only use a "draw n go" rig that is wet formed to that firearm. Don't use a one size fits all, try to run or low crawl and find your firearm on the pavement/yard. Bad feeling.

Not debasing anyones wear, just saying low profile works better for me. I enjoy casual wear, wore uniforms for years, and plainclothes required a thumbreak style back in the day ....
    Look them up, the other names I look at are Galco, DeSantis, Bianchi, Safariland. All expensive, but worth it to protect my $500-up handguns. They deserve it.

for ease of putting on and taking my holsters off, I use these: OWB Soft Loop Wings - Raven Concealment Systems

I've found that I carry much more of the time now that it's easy to put the holster on in the first place.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Those of you who wear retention holsters: Have you trained / practiced with them? Like an actual class?
    Professional training, nope. Practice, tons of it. When I first got my serpa, I wore it around the house and drew on random objects in the house (unloaded of course). Repetition and muscle memory are the key. Never can train out the adrenaline.

I might be one of the lucky ones, but I never had to think about my release. When I first started carrying, my sister-in-law coached me on some best practices. It doesn't matter what holster I use, my trigger finger falls there, and my thumb is pointed up. Her point was that your hand should look like a kid pretending to shoot. Finger out, thumb up. This keeps you from shooting yourself in the leg, or the ground when you draw. The thumb hits the break. I carried a P95 in a Bianchi paddle with a strap and thumb brake for years. Even with my blackhawk, my thumb still ends up between body and the rear sight.

I understand your point though. I've heard the serpa called the "holster of death" and that a lot of training facilities don't allow them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a Kramer Scabbard in horsehide for my G23/19 and love the thing. It keeps the gun nice and tight against your side unlike the Blackhawk Serpa I have that makes it stand away from your body. The biggest downside of the Kramer is that there is about a 2 month wait to get in line for one.

BCMPatriot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2013
    Auburn
    Interesting. My SERPA seems to hold mine pretty close. A lot closer than the paddle for my other pistol. Are you using a belt carried, or the paddle for the blackhawk? Could also be the tangent angle of my gut above the belt too.....
    I could do either. Using a belt has always seemed to be a bit flimsy to me. I really like the retention system of the blackhawk, it just doesn't stay tight to my body.

Top Bottom