Decent red dot for a decent price recommendation for ar15...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Anyone try a Holosun yet ? The company's optics are getting great reviews and with solar options and 50K hour battery life are being billed as AimPoint killers because they're half the price.
    Keep hearing good things about holosun as well. For $200 I think they are a killer deal. And you can get ones which replicate the circle dot reticle from the eotech.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Anybody have an opinion of Bushnell's TRS-32?

I'm just not a fan of the smaller optics.:dunno:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    AimPoint or bust. I've had/owned 2xStrikefires/1xSPARC. Side by side there is no comparison in build/craftsmanship. Battery life is better and the dot is clearer on AimPoints. AimPoints are worth the extra coin. Vortex does have a good warranty though.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    AimPoint or bust. I've had/owned 2xStrikefires/1xSPARC. Side by side there is no comparison in build/craftsmanship. Battery life is better and the dot is clearer on AimPoints. AimPoints are worth the extra coin. Vortex does have a good warranty though.
    Let's not use logic, use price point! There is a reason Aimpoint has higher price points.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have 2 Aimpoint Comp M3s, Aimpoint H-1, a Leupold fixed 4 power scope, Bushnell AR223 1x4, Bushnell TRS25 HiRise, and a Tru-Glo 30mm I paid $25 for at Gander Mtn Greenwood a couple of years ago.
    That cheapazz TruGlo works great and always has. Boggles the mind. I've got it on a Colt 6900 Competition and zero has held perfect, good battery life, and doing everything my Aimpoints are.
    I'm not going to recomment a $25 red dot simply for the fact of what it is BUT...I'm not going to sell my cheapie TruGlo. The only downside with it is the 4 or 5 MOA dot. Oh, I got the lifetime warranty for $5 from Gander but didn't need it.
    I picked up a truglo from an INGO member and I broke it. TruGlo gave me a new optic for a total of $12 shipped to my door. They stand behind their Limited Lifetime Warranty.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I use the Primary Arms Micro 2 and that thing is awesome. It holds zero without issue and the battery life is amazing. I would gladly recommend it to anyone that needed a budget, not cheap, red dot. The glass is very clear and it is parallax free, which is a huge plus for such a nicely priced optic.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am currently trying out a Bushnell Trs-25, 3moa dot. Not bad with the medium riser.

That's what I'm using currently on my AR. The medium-height riser I'm using is a UTG and for $10 bucks (I think?) it's a nice little mount. It's been a pretty solid little setup for as little money as I have in it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have a TRS25 on my 6in GP100 and after some 300 rounds of 357 and probably 500ish 38spl still holding zero and no issues. I would recommend for an AR in a heartbeat.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    The absolute cheapest I would consider is the Primary Arms Advanced Microdot with 50k hours battery life. They've obviously tried to copy the Aimpoint Micro series. Biggest issue for me personally here is the Chinese origin. If your budget allows, my personal experience with multiple different models of Aimpoint is that they are bomb proof (literally, see Daniel Defense torture test). I recently purchased 2 Trijicon MROs as well. The more I use these, the more I like them and they are quickly becoming my go-to red dot. They do have a VERY SLIGHT magnification to them. But I've used it in 3 gun and the carbine matches at ACC and I'll tell you, when the timer sounds and you get on it, you don't even notice a magnification. The large objective lens is very nice. And best part = MADE IN THE USA!
    I have that primary arms sight arriving tomorrow. Pretty excited to test it out

Top Bottom