• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scotmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Mishawaka
    Soooo are any manufactures making production AR’s and ammo that conforms to the new Indiana firearms laws? Anything new or encouraging in the wildcat rounds? I still want to build a AR for deer hunting but waiting to see what’s up and coming or being proven as tried and true.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Except for the .458 SOCOM and .450 Bushmaster, no, not mass production. In an AR-15 the most distance you will get is a .358 WSSM. Dedicated Technologies (dtech) will make you a .358 WSSM upper. You will be a bit limited on bullet selection and loading options. Recoil on a .358 WSSM is similar to a .30-06.

Welcome to the Dtech Superstore

Next in line is probably the .358 Gremlin. Recoil on the Gremlin is probably more like the .35 Remington (I haven't shot a Gremlin), but in an AR I imagine it would be a bit easier to do all on your own than a .358 WSSM (6.5 Grendel bolt/upper and magazine with a different barrel). That would probably be my choice for an AR. It would definitely take some work to get the gas system and ammo working together nicely, but I'm sure BFG has worked that all out.

BFG Design, Wildcat Cartridge Design, Custom Barrels, Brass, Bullets and Dies.

Both the .358 WSSM and .358 Gremlin are proven cartridges. And the .458 SOCOM has many happy users here too.

Except for the .450 Bushmaster the 1.8" rule isn't going affect AR-15 shooters very much, since you probably can't take advantage of all the extra length. Ballistics are about like a modern .45-70

Now if you want an AR-10, I imagine you could fit (length-wise anyway) any 1.8" beltless magnum wildcat in there... but that's not "less recoil".

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    So you can shoot that 358 Gremlin out of a 7.62 bolt gun?

If you have a rifle with a 7.62x39/PPC bolt face(or if it can be opened up or swapped to the same), it can be rebarreled for 358 Gremlin.

There are Savage, CZ 527, Ruger 77, Remington 700 and Mauser rifles out there now in 358 Gremlin.

A 223 Savage Axis/Edge as a basis for the conversion makes for an affordable rifle after selling off the factory fit barrel. Some of the advertisers here and larger retailers in the state have sold them for less than $250. Generally, the factory barrels will bring $75-125.

I usually have a supply of Savage 7.62x39 bolt heads for the conversion.

Does that mean it will work in an AK as well?

Couldn't tell you, stamped steel rifles aren't my thing.

State Line Gun Shop Gun Shop NH | Gun Shop MA | SL Gun Shop - Mason, New Hampshire NH recently purchased a set of tooling, a set of reloading dies and brass forming dies to make a trial run of AK's - but I haven't heard back from them or seen them advertised to date.

If you'd like some brass, I'll send you a few to see how they stack in a magazine.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    If you have a rifle with a 7.62x39/PPC bolt face(or if it can be opened up or swapped to the same), it can be rebarreled for 358 Gremlin.

There are Savage, CZ 527, Ruger 77, Remington 700 and Mauser rifles out there now in 358 Gremlin.

A 223 Savage Axis/Edge as a basis for the conversion makes for an affordable rifle after selling off the factory fit barrel. Some of the advertisers here and larger retailers in the state have sold them for less than $250. Generally, the factory barrels will bring $75-125.

I usually have a supply of Savage 7.62x39 bolt heads for the conversion.

Couldn't tell you, stamped steel rifles aren't my thing.

State Line Gun Shop Gun Shop NH | Gun Shop MA | SL Gun Shop - Mason, New Hampshire NH recently purchased a set of tooling, a set of reloading dies and brass forming dies to make a trial run of AK's - but I haven't heard back from them or seen them advertised to date.

If you'd like some brass, I'll send you a few to see how they stack in a magazine.

I appreciate the offer but I'll pass for now. Already have a couple working slug guns and I've got other family needs before I drop additional $$ into hunting gear.

Thanks though, I was just curious.

Top Bottom