• ...and so much more!
  • michaeladkins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    Hello.

I have a S&W 357 Mag revolver and I was wondering what most people would use as far as ammo for deer hunting. I have not fired it at a deer yet, due to the lack of knowledge of the gun and ammunition.

Can someone help?

Thanks.
    Mike

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    From a revolver, 158gr to 180gr would be my choice. The longer the barrel, the heaver the bullet I would use.

Just one person's opinion.

For myself I would use a ~170gr LSWC or the 180gr XTP. In a short barrel I would go with the 158gr XTP.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have a 6 inch S&W 686 that I have taken several deer with. I prefer the 158 grain Hornady XTP. I have taken deer out to 75 yards with this set up. I have also used the Hornady 125 XTP but the 158 does a better job. I would think the new lever loads would work OK too but have never tried them. Hornady has factory 158 XTP loads if you don't roll your own or try the Lever loads .
    Either way I have never had one go very far.

michaeladkins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    Thank you for the quick reply's. I am using 158gr federal right now. I will take a look at the Hornady XTP. Thanks for the advise. I may as well get some tonight, only this weekend left for firearms. :-(

Thanks.
    Mike

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Thank you for the quick reply's. I am using 158gr federal right now. I will take a look at the Hornady XTP. Thanks for the advise. I may as well get some tonight, only this weekend left for firearms. :-(

Thanks.
    Mike

I am sure those Federals will work fine if that is what the gun is sited in with. Remember shot placement is more important than the bullet type. So if you can hit with the federals go for it. Work up your load for next season with the Horandys.
    Good luck out there.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    The Federal Hydra-Shock has unequalled accuracy in my S&W 19. I can hit a 10" circle at 120 yards. Not to mention knock down power. The Hornaday is a close 2nd.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The Federal Hydra-Shock has unequalled accuracy in my S&W 19. I can hit a 10" circle at 120 yards. Not to mention knock down power. The Hornaday is a close 2nd.

Is that with a LER scope? If not, I bow humbly to your superior skillz! :)

The 140gr FTX bullet, as used in the shortened brass of the LeverEvolution loads, makes for a great compromise in the 357 Magnum. I think the benefit is probably more pronounced when fired from a carbine, but nonetheless.

Water63 made the KEY point in this discussion...bullet placement is everything when using a 357 Magnum for deer. Whether you're shooting 140, 160 or 180 grain bullets, you don't have a lot of energy to work with beyond about 75 yards. There is no "knock-down" power to speak of with any of these bullets, except when the shots are fairly close. You should probably keep your shots within 50-75, depending on how accurate you are with that gun.

To put it in perspective, the 35 Remington is widely regarded as one of the mildest, "woods" cartridges used for deer. It launches a 180gr bullet at ~2,300fps, creating over 2,100ft/lbs of energy. The 357 Magnum, as fired from a 6" barrel, drives a 158gr bullet to ~1,200fps, generating just over 500ft/lbs of energy. Take this out to 100 yards and the 35 Remington has more "oomph" than the 357 Mag had at the muzzle...and the 357 is basically out of steam.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from using it, just keep the distances to little more than you'd shoot with a bow and arrow.

:twocents:

Last edited:

michaeladkins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    @Broom_jm Thanks for the info. I have been told by a couple people to keep it less than 45 yards out. I always carry my muzzleloader too, so beyond 45 yards, I use it. I am hoping to find a Marlin 1894SS to add to my collection before next year. If I have that, I probably won't be taking either the 357 or the ML out during firearms. At this time, the only reason I am taking the 357 out, is because it has sentimental value. My step dads father is about to pass and it was his gun. So I want to get a deer with it while he is still around. The poor guy is in hospice now and the season ends this weekend. I told him just the other day I would try to get one with it soon. He just smiled. That man loves hunting and loves venison!

Thanks again everyone.
    Mike

Last edited:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    @Broom_jm Thanks for the info. I have been told by a couple people to keep it less than 45 yards out. I always carry my muzzleloader too, so beyond 45 yards, I use it. I am hoping to find a Marlin 1894SS to add to my collection before next year. If I have that, I probably won't be taking either the 357 or the ML out during firearms. At this time, the only reason I am taking the 357 out, is because it has sentimental value. My step dads father is about to pass and it was his gun. So I want to get a deer with it while he is still around. The poor guy is in hospice now and the season ends this weekend. I told him just the other day I would try to get one with it soon. He just smiled. That man loves hunting and loves venison!

Thanks again everyone.
    Mike

Good luck Mike and shoot straight for your step dad!

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I have hunted unsuccessfully with a M586 in the 6" version before. Now, let me clarify and it may be that your situation is different. We were hunting property we did not really know, first time there. Several of us drove a CMP field as we were going out. Does started jumping from everywhere! I took several shots but, running and all that.....Yeah, the guy with the 20 gauge dropped the one I shot at! ;)

If you were stand hunting, elevated and could really place your shot, from a handgun, less than 75 yards.....maybe.

That dynamic all changes if you put that ammo in a decent lever gun! I have a 158gr XTP load that is just over 2000fps from the barrel of my wife's Marlin 1894. Right at the bottom of the 35Rem ballistic data.

Our oldest son took a doe at 100 yards or so with a similar load from his Marlin, only it was a 158gr LSWC. He said that doe dropped like a sack of taters! DRT!

So, it depends on your ability, handloading personally, and the distance.

Humane kills are the goal.

Top Bottom