Deer hunting from a house??? What is the law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Was talking with the some fellow hunters this past week about the ease of hunting from a home if deer visit the property you live on. Sliding a door or window open for easy shooting.....then we got to talking about whether or not this is considered poaching. I seemed to recall years ago reading in an Indiana hunting guide that it was illegal to hunt from a taxable structure, I did some recent research and cant find anything on it .....I dont actually consider this hunting because it seems to easy. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know what the law is? If so post the text or a link..

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    My wife won't let me... So i shoot from the stand out back instead. Otherwise I've come to the same conclusion you have, can't find where it's not legal, but it doesn't seem very sporting.

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've had a few opportunities, I've even spotted deer crossing the neighboring field out my window and grabbed my orange hat and gun and hurried to where I expect them to cross my property (successful a few times). I've never just opened the door and shot one though, never wanted to make habit of it. A neighbor told me a long time ago you had to be 100 yards from a house. So I've always kept my stands at least 101 yards away....

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I suppose.... if your hot tub is on the deck, more than 4 feet from the ground, it is technically a "tree stand". No need for the orange.

One comfy tree stand, to boot.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Shooting a deer from a house isn't "to easy" but it may be "too easy." However, I would argue that deer hunting with a gun is unsportsmanlike, due to its ease, compared to bow hunting. But, not all hunters are alike, and some likely have physical disabilities that necessitate the use of a firearm. Perhaps some even have significant mobility issues such that shooting from the house is the best they can do?

jiggypete

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I had wondered about this also. Our last house had a walk out basement, so the deck was 12 feet off the ground. Deer were always right in the edge of the woods and sometimes the yard. If guess I could have used the daughters swing set as a stand also!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    House is in the woods so when I'm feeling lazy I hunt off the back deck. Don't see an issue.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I had wondered about this also. Our last house had a walk out basement, so the deck was 12 feet off the ground. Deer were always right in the edge of the woods and sometimes the yard. If guess I could have used the daughters swing set as a stand also!
    This is the set-up my dad has. Except on his property, the lay of the land doesn't invite the deer up close enough to the house for a good shot. He has a serious elevation drop which only adds to the distance. But we joke about shooting from the deck, and if it could be done with a reasonable degree of success, I'm sure he would.

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Shooting a deer from a house isn't "to easy" but it may be "too easy." However, I would argue that deer hunting with a gun is unsportsmanlike, due to its ease, compared to bow hunting. But, not all hunters are alike, and some likely have physical disabilities that necessitate the use of a firearm. Perhaps some even have significant mobility issues such that shooting from the house is the best they can do?

Yeah im not as concerned about how ethical anyone thinks it is. Ive had plenty of opportunities to kill deer from the house, even during bow season. To each their own. Im more concerned about the legalities of it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yeah im not as concerned about how ethical anyone thinks it is. Ive had plenty of opportunities to kill deer from the house, even during bow season. To each their own. Im more concerned about the legalities of it.
    On a practical level, what are the chances of any blowback from doing it?

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Back when I lived in Michigan it was illegal to shoot deer from a fixed structure (house, barn, garage). Can't say for sure I know in Indiana, but it seems if it were legal the blind regs may apply. The answer is not obvious from a cursory search.

Fortunately, when a deer ran into my rural backyard on the second day of the season last year, I stepped clear of my residence before dispatching it. It was kind enough to run a few yards to expire directly outside the door of my shop, where I needed to clean it. :)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Don't recall any laws against shooting/hunting from your house as long as you're not inside city limits. There are laws against shooting along or across roads. I would be careful to shoot carefully as always so as not to be accused of endangering anyone. Other than that, I don't think it's a problem.

With regard to ethics, some people especially rural folks and farmers, consider killing a deer to be a chore. Kill the animal, butcher it and put it in the freezer. Not every deer taken is a spiritual experience. Sometimes it's going to the grocery.

Top Bottom