• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you like to hunt with 10mm auto?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Not enough ft/lbs of energy to do it quick and clean. I think a 44mag is the smallest that should be allowed.

P.S. I've always been told, do not sure a deer with less than 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.
    So that limits a
    1. 44 mag to 100 yards
    2. 30-06 to 500 yards.
    3. 308 to 600 yards.
    4. 300 win mag 900 yards.
    This is the most popular weights of bullets used.
    A 10mm does not have enough muscle

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i voted no. whats the point? they dont give you extra range or extra knockdown power so to me its pointless. to me the only point would be "am i good enough to give this deer a quick death" and thats not a chalenge im willing to take with a living creature. i believe hunters owe a quick clean death to the animal they harvest. there will be mistakes but imo with the 100 there is no room for error.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The way the poll was worded I voted no. Would I like to hunt with a 10MM? No because I would have to buy a gun and holster and it would not be my first choice if I had to buy everything from scratch.
    Do I think the 10MM should be legal for deer hunting that is a totally different question:)

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I voted 'YES'

tthe 10 mm is adequate to kill deer humanely. I have killed four deer very quickly with a .357magnum, the 10mm can muster what a .357 mag can.

My son and I both have 10mm and he in particular would like to use his on deer. Why not? The cartridge is capable of humane kills with very high consistency.

Terry

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    i voted no. whats the point? they dont give you extra range or extra knockdown power so to me its pointless. to me the only point would be "am i good enough to give this deer a quick death" and thats not a chalenge im willing to take with a living creature. i believe hunters owe a quick clean death to the animal they harvest. there will be mistakes but imo with the 100 there is no room for error.

:+1:

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    There are many options out there already. So I guess I don't see the need to use 10mm. If this were about trying to influence new regs, why nut push 30-30. Seems that is a more popular round than 10mm. Granted one is a handgun load and the other is a rifle load. :twocents:

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    yotewacker- I have always heard 800 foot pounds as the minimum.

I voted no because I really have no interest in hunting with this round personally. Do I think it should be legal? Sure. Anything that kills cleanly should be legal, as far as I'm concerned. I will stick with slug guns and muzzleloaders though, since that's what I already have.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I don't think so..If they are going to do this..then do all of it. (i.e. HPR's and any kind of pistol and or long gun) You can't just half asz it. But I still don't think we need to do that. Sell your 10mm and buy something that is legal:dunno:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I don't think so..If they are going to do this..then do all of it. (i.e. HPR's and any kind of pistol and or long gun) You can't just half asz it. But I still don't think we need to do that. Sell your 10mm and buy something that is legal:dunno:

I agree with this except for the last part that says, sell your 10mm & buy something legal ....

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    Personally, no.
    I wouldn't be comfortable with that round.
    I prefer my .44 Mag or my .308.
    Now wait a minute before you yell at me telling me the .308's not legal.
    It is because it's a handgun too.
    Savage Striker 3 shot bolt action.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    10mm is my favorit everyday carry gun but i would not hunt with it. have many other guns that are more suited to hunting.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I said no. There's no point I used a .357 Mag and that I already have a gun and ammo for. I don't need to add another gun and caliber to my arsenal since I mainly bow hunt.

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    November, I hunted with a 44mag rifle for the first time in this state. I had an exceptional first weekend with my new rifle and pleased that Indana has finally expanded its hunting arms to include this caliber. I'm sorry, a 10mm? I just don't see the reasoning to try and include every possible round, rifle or handgun to take a regulated game animal. If you want to hunt with a 10mm, you might use it on something that it is already legal for...squirrel...coyote...?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The poll should have asked whether deer hunters think 10mm should be legal or not. There is a big difference. For example, I don't have any desire to hunt with .357 mag but I, of course, think it should be legal.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The poll should have asked whether deer hunters think 10mm should be legal or not. There is a big difference. For example, I don't have any desire to hunt with .357 mag but I, of course, think it should be legal.

You would then be expecting the OP to use a little intellectual honesty. The poll should have simply stated the ballistics of the round and compared them to current legal rounds. I will give the OP a little credit. He's more than willing to go down with his sinking ship. No matter what evidence is provided, he refuses to change his mind.

Top Bottom