• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwright1983

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    Since we are allowed to carry rifles on private land this year I figured I will buy a rifle. This year I will still be carrying my muzzleloader but want to get a rifle and spend the next year getting accustomed to it. But just curious what you all think the best set up is for deer.
    Caliber, gun, Scope, ammo Etc.

dwright1983

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    There is places I could use a rifle where I hunt. I may buy one and not use it for deer season. But I would like to have the option to should I ever need to. I also just want to have a new gun that I enjoy shooting but never really had a reason to own a high powered rifle untill now.

alclark2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Muncie
    I do enjoy a good reason to add to the collection... I'd say go with a bolt action .243 for an all around deer rifle. It would double as a good coyote gun.

dwright1983

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    Sounds like a good combo. I think .308 is bigger than I want to go in caliber size. Good luck hope you get a big one.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I went 300 AAC Blackout upper for an AR and, to stay under budget, a Barska 1-4x scope. we will see how it turns out on Saturday.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    For caliber I am a fan of the .243 Win for its abilities with varmints up to deer sized game by just changing bullet style and weight. Much of what you are asking will come down to budget and preference. The Ruger American and base Remington 700s are good budget guns, but you could also spend thousands on a custom. Same goes for scopes. What is your budget? What else would you like to use the gun for besides deer?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FYI, it doesn't take a yr to become proficient with a deer rifle.
    If you are decent with a .22 rifle you simply zero your deer rig, check at various yardages for rise/drop and then hunt.
    Fundamentals the same.
    Recoil is no big deal. Most modern rigs have recoil pads (of better materials), better stock ergonomics.
    Now if your .308 win is a lightweight with a steel crescent buttplate, and you are ripping the heaviest bullets at max V.............sure it's gonna pop ya.

I shot some hot .300 Savage loads through my steel buttplate Savage 99 and after a dozen with just a T shirt on, yeah it was a little tender.
    Didn't cause a flinch, put bullets right next to each other. The Hornady Superformance had noticeably less blast and recoil than the other stuff.
    Neither was bad, one a fair bit more polite though.

There are reduced recoil .308 win rounds out there, factory.

.24 calibers of decent cartridge performance are reportedly good deer killers. Find out Saturday.

BTW, .243 Winchester is a cartridge. Not a "caliber"

There are other 6mm rounds that are deer legal.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cuz got it done with CVA .35 Rem trimmed again
    He wants a Ruger #1 redone to .35 rem.............wonder where he got that idea?
    3 shots, in 3 yrs. 3 bucks down. Total bloodtrail distance combined? TWO STEPS.
    Barnes bullet reload from B&K. Burris 2-7X.
    Bullet not recovered. Shot distance 45 yards. Hit in the neck just fwd of shoulder (right where aimed).

MZMAZi6.jpg
    [/IMG]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never had one get away from the old Marlin 1894 44 magnum. At woods ranges I think 44 mag and 45 Colt are great cartridges.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Indeed, but the trimmed .35 Rem gets you some distance.........for when you step out of the woods ;)
    And .35 Rem could allow for different platforms (not available in .44 mag or .45 Colt).
    Neat old cartridge that works very well.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Public or private land? Woods or field hunting? If your woods hunting take your pick. Just about anything will be good to 100-125 yards. If your hunting public a 44mag would be fine and ammo is readily available. Rifle all depends on your taste. 243 is a flat shooting round that doesnt have much recoil which usually means better shooting from most people. Pick your poison

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Pre-64 Model 70 Supergrade chambered in .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, or...if it were me... .30 '06 Government.

If you wish to scope it...you'll need to give a lot more information (such as Small's asked above) for us to give a sensible recommendation.

-Nate

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was really hoping to use 300BLK this year until they came out with the 16" rule. I've seen some pretty large game come down with the 110gr Barnes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had no problem being accurate with slug guns.

Why am I using a .243 win this yr?
    Because its a Ruger #1 RSI.
    :)

I have two other bolt rigs in .243 win, one set up for yotes.
    The other was initially bought for my daughter to use out of state.
    Proly getting a diff barrel put on.

Top Bottom