• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I was offered a Desert Eagle 50 AE Brushed Chrome (Mint condition), I know nothing about them other than they are BFGs. I also know ammo is $1.50 to $2.00 per shot. What is everyone's opinion on them and what is the dollar value? I am a revolver guy, but I do own a few bottom feeders, just need some help on deciding to buy or pass on this one. :dunno::dunno:

:popcorn:

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Stay under $1200 and you'll do ok right now. If they are hurting, stick it to them for 1k. Mint condition is still considered used if its been fired... I can tell you they're fun factor wears off real quick. Bought two over the years, and sold them both within a few months of purchase. Meh...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks pirate, That's the kind of information I'm looking for. I've owned a lot of "fun guns", just like most guys, the bigger the bore, the more fun the gun.

An unfortunately more expensive to feed :(, my brother had one is was cool for a little while but nothing that I would have to have.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Yeah, it would make a pretty scary nightstand gun. :D

Scary for the person shooting the BG. Imagine being barely conscious and having slept off all your caffeine and then trying to pick that thing up and aim straight.

Homework: put a cinder block on your night stand, and then try to lift it quickly as soon as you wake up next and tell me how that goes :)

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    One thing to consider when talking about DE's and ammo is that they are ridiculously picky. They have huge cycling issues once they heat up with a lot of ammo. So finding the right stuff to reload with that works might be a whole other pain in the rear. It can get much more expensive when considering the time and effort it takes you to find what yours likes because you'll be stuck with a bunch of 50 that it won't cycle that youll have to sell.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Do you think that you might try your hand at hunting with a handgun? Deer? Boar / Hogs? Squirrel?

You're already an admitted revolver guy - do you currently shoot .44Mag? You can convert the DE to .44Mag, too. A little more outlay of cash and you can also take advantage of a caliber you already have. Can step the DE down to .357Mag, too, should you desire. (I have NO idea what the conversions cost, however)

-J-

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've owned two in .44 Mag. I still have one of them.They are sweet shooting, a pistol that weighs as much as a small child can't recoil much:):. They are also extremely accurate and a lot of fun. For hunting or as a range gun they are okay. For a nightstand or EDC gun, no. One thing to remember, they need jacketed ammo to keep from fouling the gas system.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    For a nightstand or EDC gun, no. QUOTE]

I was only joking about using it as a nightstand gun. I don't hunt anymore and most of what I buy is range guns or collectables. My EDC is a S&W Model 65 and/or a NAA Guardian, my HD guns are a M&P 45, A S&W Model 29 and a 870. If I buy the DE it will be a fun gun, just a giant paperpunch.:D

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    For a nightstand or EDC gun, no. QUOTE]

I was only joking about using it as a nightstand gun. I don't hunt anymore and most of what I buy is range guns or collectables. My EDC is a S&W Model 65 and/or a NAA Guardian, my HD guns are a M&P 45, A S&W Model 29 and a 870. If I buy the DE it will be a fun gun, just a giant paperpunch.:D

Then do it. If i could have one for fun it might very well be the DE 50. You sound like you have the means to do it so i say go for it. They seem to hold value pretty well and muzzle flash is always fun.

de50_7.jpg

Not my pic by the way.

Shroom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Middletown, IN
    Oh and forgot to mention, Damn that thing looks fun to shoot if you can feed it the dollars. I would go for it like the someone said if you have the means, it looks to be a fun time shooting that beast.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    It's a fun gun to shoot. It's even better when you shoot it at stuff other than paper. Take it outside somewhere safe and light up some produce, old cellphones, tv, water jugs, etc.

:shoot:

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Bought one nickle plated about 10 years ago....as has been said, they lose their fun fast, expensive to shoot...and if you cant man handle it you'll be pushing the slide back every time.

I'd skip it and get something else.

Top Bottom