• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-Denny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I was amazed last Thursday to walk into our local Walmart and discover a full shelf of .22 ammo, so bought three 550 round bulk packs of WWB. I was in there again on Friday evening, and most everything was gone, but I’m thinking .22 must actually be on its way back now.

Seeing all that .22 ammo reminded me of a question I’ve had for a long time. Why isn’t there a better choice of quality .22 semi-auto pocket pistols? Beretta’s model 21A is the best one I know of, and it was introduced over 30 years ago! And several companies now have .380’s that are lighter. I know designing a small semi-auto for .22 rimfire presents its own challenges, but with the .22LR’s popularity, it seems to me that at least George Kellgren of Kel-Tec would have taken on the challenge by now.

By the way, whether you’re a Kel-Tec fan or not, I recommend checking out their website. You’re met with one of the neatest slow motion videos I’ve seen.

Denny

MikeBrennan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Indiana
    Much in the same vein as comments above, I expect the wide variety of compact pocket pistols in 380 and 9 has much to do with the short list of pocket pistols in 22 on the market.

A buddy had a little 22 revolver that was super small... It was a fun novelty, but given the only thing I would want in my pistol pocket is the pistol, it would take as much room as an LCP or similar firearm.

I have thought about a derringer in 45, but they get a bit heavy....may as well carry a J Frame in 357 at that point.

P-Denny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I've got a Jimenez JA-22 I'll sell you for considerably less than $300!

:laugh:
    I bought the first version of the Jimenez, the Jennings J-22 for $60 new, back in the 80’s and it shot great. I’d take it out on the farm where I grew up and shoot stuff until I ran out of ammo. I convinced some of my buddies that they also needed one but they didn’t have such good luck. I remember one guy got so mad at his that he smashed it & threw it in the trash can!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Me too. I have a Sterling that I've been thinking of putting in the classifieds.

20161211_211401_zpsqslzxe2l.jpg

$150 firm. FTF Bloomington.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not much in small pocket 22 pistols but if I'd do one it would have to be a Beretta. Buying an inexpensive gun is one thing. Wasting money on a gun with decades of known issues is another

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    . . . Why isn’t there a better choice of quality .22 semi-auto pocket pistols? . . .

Limited market. From a practical, defensive perspective. . . .

As you pointed out, tiny guns are now available in more "potent" (relatively), reliable cartridges.

That leaves a tiny subset of people that want a tiny gun, but can't deal with the recoil of a larger cartridge in a tiny gun and/or don't have the hand strength to rack the slide of the larger chamberings.

I'd guess it's not viable from a profitability perspective to have very many choices in such a tiny market segment.

The Beretta 21 has been around since 1984, so all the costs associated with delivering a new design to market were amortized for it long ago.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I like the Beretta 21A and have found them to be reliable.

I also have had good luck with the Iver Johnson copies of the TPH, I think the model is the TP-22.

Ronn38

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    May be a bit OT for this tread, but you can get a nice Beretta Mod. 70 from a 1/2 dozen different surplus venders. pain to cut the fake suppressor, but durable in an evening. and you're left with a light weight, reasonably compact, accurate Beretta for good price point. I have a Mod 71 in .380 which is noticeably heavier and a tad bigger. I can hot a 4 inch circle at 7 yards with it, and a 3 inch circle with the 22 cal Mod 70. Move to 10 yards and the difference gets more noticeable bug you move beyond the reasonable engagement range of a subcaliber pistol.

Just my thoughts

R

Top Bottom