Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    COULD BE, WE'RE DESTROYING OUR OWN SPORT
    mikehunting107x164.jpg

Mike Haas
    (Originally posted Wednesday, March 13, 2013)
    Had lunch today with a rangemaster of a local gun range. Great place, sells ammo, friendly, nice premises. No surprises that the range had been extremely busy for months, of that there is no doubt. It had been busier and busier, eventually folks had to start to waiting to get a bench on the weekend and turned into waiting during the week!
    They had lots of trouble getting ammo and what they could get, they only sold to those who were shooting that day. Until recently...
    The waiting stopped. Suddencly benches were available on the week. Then the weekend. What? "Had the new gun buyer market been saturated?" I asked. "No," he replied, "people can't find ammo."
    He then tells me he knows of lots of panic buying going on. He knows one fellow that stocked his garage with 30,000 rounds of .223! That's probably a couple hundred average shooters that can't get ammo now. It creates a sense of panic and spreads like wildfire. He also said a lot of local sellers are jacking prices into orbit. Lots of gouging going on.
    I think there are parties that want the blame to go to government, that they sre sucking up all the production. But from what I see with my own eyes and ears, WE ARE DOING THIS TO OURSELVES. We are now panic buying to the point that it is preventing many from shooting.
    Now, I've finally been getting low on my favorite AR bullet, the 69 gr. Sierra HPBT Match (1380). They must be favorites for lots of folks because I haven't been able to find 'em for months. On a whim, checked Midway USA and yep, out of stock. But that's a great site and it allowed me to search for all available .22 rifle bullets by all manufacturers.
    There were about 12 or 15 bullets, ranging from 40 to 80 grain, various manufacturers. I was able to order 500 (a normal quantity for me) 69 gr. HPBT Match by *NOSLER* (didn't know they made one, very curious to see how they compare.) So my horizons will be expanded - I'm not too old to handle that.
    But I'm stuck with this feeling that someone, somewhere, has my 500 Sierra bullets and yours too. And yours and yours and yours... and he's probably going to regret that huge purchase (at probably way too much money) and never shoot our bullets.
    We shouldn't do that to our sport, to each other or to ourselves. Again.

Got the above in an E-Mail today, sorta says it all.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Good post JC.

I agree that the ammo shortage is hurting our sport. I can also sort of understand gun owners wanting to stock up. But, build your stash when times are good and ammo is plentiful. Please don't try to stockpile during a shortage as it only makes things worse and prolongs the shortage.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Good post JC.

I agree that the ammo shortage is hurting our sport. I can also sort of understand gun owners wanting to stock up. But, build your stash when times are good and ammo is plentiful. Please don't try to stockpile during a shortage as it only makes things worse and prolongs the shortage.

I did that any many still think I'm an ******* because I have it, they don't and I won't share it for the price they want to pay.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This just means that once the panic buying is over...we will see as glut, and these hoarders will try to dump their ammo on an already low priced market. And we will get bargains. :)

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    This just means that once the panic buying is over...we will see as glut, and these hoarders will try to dump their ammo on an already low priced market. And we will get bargains. :)

That's what I'm waiting for..... I hav small children and i dnt get to shoot as often as I used to. So I started stocking up during the past couple winters when shooting slowed down and tger was plenty of ammo. Now I'm good and summer getn close so I will have enough to shoot all summer and not completely deplete my stash. Hopefully by the end of the year this craziness will calm down and I can start restocking again for next summer at normal prices....hopefully..!!!!

Last edited:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land

We're looking at a year before that happens, it'll happen, just will take time, time that also increases the chance of another psycho doing something stupid and evil. Just ride it out as best we can.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    He knows one fellow that stocked his garage with 30,000 rounds of .223!

So who's to say this is an unreasonable amount of ammo? You? Me? The GOVERNMENT?

If this guy has the $$$ and the SPACE to stockpile 30K rds of .223, then why not? Wherever HE got it, I probably could have as well, I just didn't make the GAMBLE that he is.

I'd MUCH rather have it this way, the MARKET dictating the price and supply than Mr. Obama doing it!

The good thing about OUR system is that due to the high price and short supply, there are more suppliers entering the market and existing suppliers are adding capacity. So I'm confident that supply will eventually catch up with demand and prices will move lower. If not, heck maybe I need to cash in MY retirement and go into the ammo manufacturing business! Maybe YOU should also!!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    So who's to say this is an unreasonable amount of ammo? You? Me? The GOVERNMENT?

If this guy has the $$$ and the SPACE to stockpile 30K rds of .223, then why not? Wherever HE got it, I probably could have as well, I just didn't make the GAMBLE that he is.

I'd MUCH rather have it this way, the MARKET dictating the price and supply than Mr. Obama doing it!

The good thing about OUR system is that due to the high price and short supply, there are more suppliers entering the market and existing suppliers are adding capacity. So I'm confident that supply will eventually catch up with demand and prices will move lower. If not, heck maybe I need to cash in MY retirement and go into the ammo manufacturing business! Maybe YOU should also!!

The 30k of 223 bit and this are what I find troubling from the article.

"But I'm stuck with this feeling that someone, somewhere, has my 500 Sierra bullets and yours too. And yours and yours and yours."

How is it his and yours if you and he never bought it? Do we have a right to have our name on ammo or components that we haven't yet paid for at any moment we choose?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    meh OP you lost me at "sport" in the title. :p
    and based on the pic of the dude and his impled comment about 30K of .223 being 'too much' he too is meh!
    We each buy/use for different reasons but he is no friend of 2A.

Dauvis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Morgan county
    The 30k of 223 bit and this are what I find troubling from the article.

"But I'm stuck with this feeling that someone, somewhere, has my 500 Sierra bullets and yours too. And yours and yours and yours."

How is it his and yours if you and he never bought it? Do we have a right to have our name on ammo or components that we haven't yet paid for at any moment we choose?

I took that as a poor attempt at humor.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I went down to my club last week when we had a beautiful day. I almost didnt go because I thought it would be packed and much to my surprise I was the only fool down there shooting up precious ammo. I made sure I scoured the ground for all the brass in every calibur I could find. I only shot about fifty rounds through my .45 and thought I better head out and not shoot any more because I will not be able to replace it. I also love the Sierra 69 grains in my AR and have been sitting on all my components and have decieded to pick fishing back up for awhile. Looking for a boat now. You know it is crazy when people are trying to trade guns for more ammo.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This generation, greed is their God. They can justify anything as long as they make a profit. Just more nails in the coffin of what was once a great country. Profiteers will scream that any criticism of profit no matter how its made is akin to children crying. Oh for want of a society where morals had a place.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm pretty much stuck with 7.62x54 for this summer. I'm going to get into casting once reloading supplies actually return. Semi-autos are shelved and the bolt guns are getting the love. Instead of freaking out about lack of ammo and paying ridiculouas price I just stopped shooting so much. I have no idea why people scream and cry when you suggest they just slow down the fire rate.

This whole thing has really just hurt us in the long run. Many new shooters or those doubting the hobby may drop out of it if the situation doesn't get better soon. Yeah, we'll be the more dedicated community, but when we're constantly under assault for our values we need every man we can get.

If we all tightened our belt the prices would go down way quick. If no bullets moved for a week or two I bet the price would bottom out. Right now the demand just isn't slackening up.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Seeing how everyone seems to want to go off on their own tangent, I will address the OP. Yes, this ammo shortage is likely going to kill off a lot of shooting sports. I have talked to a few people who run USPSA matches and they have the same concerns that I do. If people are unable to get ammo, they will be unable to shoot. And on top of this, people who are new to the sport or are wanting to get into it, won't be able to until the mass buying idiocy stops...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Got the above in an E-Mail today, sorta says it all.

If you think you don't have ammo, mags, guns, or whatever because someone bought them during a panic after you neglicted to buy them for years while they were cheap and plentiful I have very little sympathy for you. It sucks for sure, but we all learn this lesson the hard way. I was caught in the '08 panic buying without the supplies I wanted/needed and I learned my lesson. That's all we can do in life is to learn from our mistakes. If you mess up and don't have your box of 500 sierra matchkings then learn from that. I was once like you, but I learned my lesson. Now I've got plenty of ammo loaded with that bullet, and all the components I'd need to load up more of that ammo again using that bullet. I have my bullets on my shelves that I've been buying for the last few years. You don't have bullets on your shelves because you didn't plan ahead, and you took an abundant supply at a low price for granted. The price of this mistake is either paying inflated prices or suffering without. Turn your frown upside down pumpkin, the prices and availability are getting better.

Top Bottom