• IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You still hold that opinion?

He said:

No jobs, walfare, free phones, food stamps.

What else do they have to do?

While you took that to mean race and received a snarky answer in kind, I see the following:

1. The initial post in this line of discussion involved traits with the common denominator of low socio-economic standards.
    2. In the snarky reply, race did come up, although the demographics of the area are very monolithic making the composition of the parties involved a pretty safe bet.
    3. The same things aside from population density could just as easily apply to Appalachia, Indian reservations, or most trailer parks.

As I see it, if a person untruthfully assigns negative attributes to a person or group based on ethnicity, then that person is worthy of censure. If a person truthfully reports negative attributes which happen to apply to a person or group, regardless of ethnicity, then if those people don't like it, it is incumbent on them to change their ways.

My beliefs on the matter are as follows:

1. All people are created in the image of God.
    2. Proper treatment on this account includes refraining from disparaging anyone based on ethnic heritage.
    3. No one is entitled to a free pass on bad behavior on account of ethnic background or real or perceived historic mistreatment.
    4. No one is entitled to be excused for unacceptable behavior in form of actions taken in the name of ethnic heritage or practice of any professed system of belief or philosophy (like honoring a command to kill unbelievers, for example).
    5. No one has a right to be sheltered from speech he/she/it may consider offensive (provided that it is not slanderous/libelous or inciting unlawful activities).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The conversation seems to be getting a bit racey.

Pun notwithstanding, it was going that way which was totally unnecessary.

Human nature is generally a transcendent phenomenon and there are some things that people in the same tax bracket do regardless of their geographic location or ethnic extraction. That said, I have no problem with observations of fact so long as they are actually fact and not, for example, presented as being exclusive to a group to which does not own a monopoly on the attribute in question.

I also see no reason to raise the issue when it is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He said:

While you took that to mean race and received a snarky answer in kind, I see the following:

1. The initial post in this line of discussion involved traits with the common denominator of low socio-economic standards.
    2. In the snarky reply, race did come up, although the demographics of the area are very monolithic making the composition of the parties involved a pretty safe bet.
    3. The same things aside from population density could just as easily apply to Appalachia, Indian reservations, or most trailer parks.

As I see it, if a person untruthfully assigns negative attributes to a person or group based on ethnicity, then that person is worthy of censure. If a person truthfully reports negative attributes which happen to apply to a person or group, regardless of ethnicity, then if those people don't like it, it is incumbent on them to change their ways.

What does food stamps, free phones, no jobs, and "walfare" have to do with people attending a kid's birthday party on a Saturday? How is that relevant for the people who came under attack by the guy who shot at the crowd, again, on Saturday? How is it possibly known, where these people are from, how they pay for their food, how they obtained their phone, and their employment status? Have you never been to an event in a low income neighborhood? Are there not hard working, non-handout taking people in low income evironments? I think it says a lot about a person, if they choose to think the worst of 400 people, unknown to them, simply because they happened to be in a certain place.... on a Saturday. But this type of stuff I've come to expect from the person in question.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What does food stamps, free phones, no jobs, and "walfare" have to do with people attending a kid's birthday party on a Saturday? How is that relevant for the people who came under attack by the guy who shot at the crowd, again, on Saturday? How is it possibly known, where these people are from, how they pay for their food, how they obtained their phone, and their employment status? Have you never been to an event in a low income neighborhood? Are there not hard working, non-handout taking people in low income evironments? I think it says a lot about a person, if they choose to think the worst of 400 people, unknown to them, simply because they happened to be in a certain place.... on a Saturday. But this type of stuff I've come to expect from the person in question.

I took his point to be that of addressing the sheer number of people with free time on their hands. When addressing income disparity, I saw it brought up that families in the top 20% of income earners have an almost perfect 2 workers per family. By contrast the bottom 20% have 0.4 workers per family. That fact in itself lends itself to speculative conclusions about how that many people were not working and did not have more important things to do, which, in this case, was brought up in response to a question turning on this issue.

As for myself, I try to maintain as good a balance as possible, neither seeing a pointy white hood behind every pole, bush, and corner nor believing that racism ended with the closure of Reconstruction. As with any attempt at finding an ill-defined balance, my mileage varies along with everyone else's.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I took his point to be that of addressing the sheer number of people with free time on their hands. When addressing income disparity, I saw it brought up that families in the top 20% of income earners have an almost perfect 2 workers per family. By contrast the bottom 20% have 0.4 workers per family. That fact in itself lends itself to speculative conclusions about how that many people were not working and did not have more important things to do, which, in this case, was brought up in response to a question turning on this issue.

As for myself, I try to maintain as good a balance as possible, neither seeing a pointy white hood behind every pole, bush, and corner nor believing that racism ended with the closure of Reconstruction. As with any attempt at finding an ill-defined balance, my mileage varies along with everyone else's.

I can appreciate your diplomacy, but did you miss me stating that this happened on a Saturday? In the evening/night too? Don't most people have free time on Saturday evenings? Not all, but most.

Maybe you're not familiar with SMiller's postings, but I've taken note. He has small opinion of those that aren't like, or aren't as fortunate as he.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I can appreciate your diplomacy, but did you miss me stating that this happened on a Saturday? In the evening/night too? Don't most people have free time on Saturday evenings? Not all, but most.

Maybe you're not familiar with SMiller's postings, but I've taken note. He has small opinion of those that aren't like, or aren't as fortunate as he.

I didn't miss that it was a Saturday. In my experience after having the week dominated by work, I rarely have much free time on weekends on account of the things which accumulate and do not get done through the week on account of the time spent working.

I am not prepared to venture into discerning SMiller's general outlook on such matters, so I limited myself to going with what I read this time.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

What makes you think I am more fortunate then anyone else?

Top Bottom