• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youknow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Hey guys.. well im from a few states away.. Iowa in fact, and i recently stumbled upon this thread via google, and thought i should add my 2 cents.

I've owned 1 diamondback db9. I encountered multiple FTF, and FTE in my initial 500+ round mark. Not to mention the chipped feed ramp, the trigger pins shifting out of place, and the frame being battered (ie.. thin strips of polymer were being stripped off the frame internally) Then after 564 rounds my trigger went limp, it snapped and would not even allow me to field strip this handgun. I sent it back to diamondback headquarters to get it fixed, paid for by DB. It was sent back some weeks later, and the trigger failed to reset after every 20th round or so, after receiving a new frame from the initial trigger failure. so once again i was left with a limp trigger. I sent it back to DB a second time in which they replaced the frame, and trigger a second time at which time i sold it.

I could not trust this firearm at all. It made me sick thinking i paid 350+ for this gun then around 150+ in ammunition cost to determine this gun could not be trusted and belonged in a trash can.

a total waste of my time, and cash. If DB would replace the trigger components with non MIM parts, update the trigger pins, redo the magazine entirely( ie.. new feed lips, and new spring) and somehow redo the entire frame which allowed the recoil spring to move freely within the slide they would have a winner on their hands. But considering their .380 is still had multiple bugs to work out, i dont see their DB9 becoming a success any time soon.

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville
    Hey guys.. well im from a few states away.. Iowa in fact, and i recently stumbled upon this thread via google, and thought i should add my 2 cents.

I've owned 1 diamondback db9. I encountered multiple FTF, and FTE in my initial 500+ round mark. Not to mention the chipped feed ramp, the trigger pins shifting out of place, and the frame being battered (ie.. thin strips of polymer were being stripped off the frame internally) Then after 564 rounds my trigger went limp, it snapped and would not even allow me to field strip this handgun. I sent it back to diamondback headquarters to get it fixed, paid for by DB. It was sent back some weeks later, and the trigger failed to reset after every 20th round or so, after receiving a new frame from the initial trigger failure. so once again i was left with a limp trigger. I sent it back to DB a second time in which they replaced the frame, and trigger a second time at which time i sold it.

I could not trust this firearm at all. It made me sick thinking i paid 350+ for this gun then around 150+ in ammunition cost to determine this gun could not be trusted and belonged in a trash can.

a total waste of my time, and cash. If DB would replace the trigger components with non MIM parts, update the trigger pins, redo the magazine entirely( ie.. new feed lips, and new spring) and somehow redo the entire frame which allowed the recoil spring to move freely within the slide they would have a winner on their hands. But considering their .380 is still had multiple bugs to work out, i dont see their DB9 becoming a success any time soon.

That is alot of shooting for this little guy. I just need it to shoot 6 and 1. and hopefully I wont ever need that!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Scott Perrin is a good guy. My front sight popped off (I was trying to cut it down so I would have a normal sight picture) and I lost it. He sent me two extras for free. Good communication with him Via email. My DB9 has been 100% reliable, and I am only getting rid of it because I can carry my chopped Glock 22 or chopped 35 in a Vanguard2 and conceal it just as well as the DB9 in a pocket holster, and I am able to draw easier and carry more rounds. The gun worked great for me though.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have been wanting to get the 380 but it appears that most reviews I read say they are junk. How much bigger is the 9mm? i'm just wanting something to throw into a pocket and go.

I had an early DB380, the frame rails broke, sent it back to Diamondback, they sent me a new pistol, it has been flawless, except with Privi ammo, other U.S. ammo has been perfect. NO problems what so ever.
    Just make sure the serial starts with ZC or later. My first one was a ZA.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    So I bought a DB9 last fall just because the slim design and it's light weight made me want to give it a go. Here are my thoughts. It is the easiest carry gun I have ever put in my jean's pocket. It does not give me the same feeling of security that my glock 19 does. Shorter range ,less reliable and you are limited to 124 grain and only standard pressure ammo. But something is always better than nothing imho.

The day I bought it I went to the DiamondBack website to order the Knurled pin 4 pack and it was out of stock. All DB9s with serial numbers under YA9000 have a recall on the defective pins that tend to slide during use. Diamondback claims they will replace them for free. However, they have been out of stock for almost a year. They allow you to enter your email to be notified when they are available. Dont hold your breath. I have never gotten an email and I signed up months and months ago.

Customer service will not answer your phone call. As I write this I have been on hold for 29 min waiting for someone to pick up.

It is a shame... I was wishing this startup the best of luck.

Shawn
    There seem to be a number of gun manufacturers out there who are making guns where the "pins" drift out. Probably because of the polymer frames, and I have had a few of these guns myself. Don't like it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    That is alot of shooting for this little guy. I just need it to shoot 6 and 1. and hopefully I wont ever need that!

Seriously, so you are considering this a throw away gun, and you will not practice with it any?

I would not trust my life to a gun I could not depend on shooting at the range enough to be confident in it, and keep up my skills with it at least on a somewhat regular basis.

I don't have any experience with the diamond back's, but the statement of only needing it to shoot 7 rounds is a bit disconcerting.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Contact this guy. He will take care of you.

Scott C. Perin
    Diamondback Customer Service

info@diamondbackfirearms.com

Tell him your situation, and ask him about getting all the latest upgrades. They've added an additional frame pin above the trigger now, as well as upgrading their mag follower (although you may have the new mag follower depending on your serial #). Tell him Doggydaddy from Diamondbacktalk sent you! :)

What about the rest of the DB9 owners out there? The ones that don't know people who know people? If I need to tell a company "USERNAME from GENERICWEBSITE.COM sent me" in order to get their attention regarding a RECALL, there's some thing wrong with that company.

To be honest, Diamondback was never on my radar, anyway. :noway::noway:

youknow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012

I don't understand this logic... So your telling me your just gonna purchase a handgun and never shoot it until you need it? So your gonna bet your life on a gun that you wont shoot? I think you might be confused, i didn't shoot 564 rounds back to back in one session. This was just the round mark that it had broken

I usually want to put at least 500 rounds through a carry gun without having it Fail before i will trust it with my life.

IMO, and my opinion only if you want a pocket gun get lcp, p3at, or a kahr p380, and if your worried about penetration for a .380 use some FMJ's or +P's.

I'll be honest i was really itching for a micro-compact 9mm for deep carry, but with the problems i've seen in such firearms i'll just stick to what works for now

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What about the rest of the DB9 owners out there? The ones that don't know people who know people? If I need to tell a company "USERNAME from GENERICWEBSITE.COM sent me" in order to get their attention regarding a RECALL, there's some thing wrong with that company.

To be honest, Diamondback was never on my radar, anyway. :noway::noway:
    Well, you're certainly entitled to that opinion, but they're still not a very well-known company (yet) and I was just trying to help the OP out. To anyone that's interested, there is a forum (not affiliated with DB) www.diamondbacktalk.com that is comprised of (you guessed it) DB owners (DB380 and DB9). Many have had problems. Many have not. Many that had problems have gotten them fixed by DB, or worked through them themselves by interacting with the other members on the forum (much like INGO :ingo:) Diamondback does maintain a regular presence on the site, which is how I knew to contact Scott (and Jason before him). I don't know of any other gun company that makes their personnel readily available in this manner.

Personally, I loved my DB380. Had to send it back once, but it was great after that. Very small, very accurate and completely reliable. I just wasn't carrying it any more and didn't like the cost of .380 ammo. These are not range guns. IMHO it doesn't take thousands of rounds a month to keep proficient enough with a gun (a BUG at that) to feel comfortable carrying it. I would never recommend shooting it once and sticking it in your pocket. Shoot it. Put a couple or three mags through it when you go to the range. Whatever it takes to be comfortable enough for YOU.

The DB380 had its growing pains too, but I think you'll find that there are a LOT less negative comments about it floating around than there was at first. I anticipate the DB9 will be similar, however the more powerful round has its own set of challenges. I'm not trying to sell anyone on their product. Just relating my personal experience, and what I've read (good and bad) from a lot of other DB owners. Check out the forum (if you want) or not (if you don't). :dunno:

ETA: There was no RECALL, btw... can Ruger (another good American company) say the same? Stuff happens to the best of them.

Last edited:

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    how does the db9 compare in size to the KT pf9?

I just sold my PF-9 to buy the DB9 with night sights. Although the measurements on paper don't seem dramatically different, the DB9 is much smaller once you have it in your hand. You do loose 1 round in the magazine though.

I could not pocket carry my PF-9 with blue jeans. However, I can carry my DB-9 and it does not print at all. Works perfectly for my needs...your mileage my vary.

+1 on Diamondback customer service. I made a stupid mistake while trying to disassemble my slide and I lost a bunch of parts. The first time I called Diamondback, I talked with Scott only after waiting for 2-3 minutes. He got me fixed up. One time I waited for 10 minutes or so, but it was during lunchtime, so they were probably short staffed. People need to remember that this is a small startup company. Even the large Juggernaut companies have difficult times answering the phones. I had problems with Glock and their phone service in the past. Does that mean we should all get rid of our Glocks? I won't, I still own 2.

Any new pistol design has issues at first. I bought my PF-9 soon after they came out and it took about a year to get it dead nuts reliable. During that point in time it was the only option that small in that price range. I went into this knowing I might have some bumps in the road. But I also am confident I will get through them since Diamondback is a company that will stand behind their product when there are failures. People poo-pooed the PF-9, yet how many sold. I am confident that Diamondback will work out the bugs like many other companies have.

Just look at all the recalls on here... Firearms Recalls - Ammunition Recalls - The Gun Guy®

Seems to me that a lot of historically good companies have issues too. All gun companies go through it.

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville
    Contact this guy. He will take care of you.

Scott C. Perin
    Diamondback Customer Service
    info@diamondbackfirearms.com

Tell him your situation, and ask him about getting all the latest upgrades. They've added an additional frame pin above the trigger now, as well as upgrading their mag follower (although you may have the new mag follower depending on your serial #). Tell him Doggydaddy from Diamondbacktalk sent you! :)

Your contact from Diamondback replied to my email and is going to send me the pins. The mag follower on my gun is already the upgraded one. They only recalled serial numbers 100 to 705.Thank you for taking the time to help me out!:rockwoot:

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville
    Seriously, so you are considering this a throw away gun, and you will not practice with it any?

I would not trust my life to a gun I could not depend on shooting at the range enough to be confident in it, and keep up my skills with it at least on a somewhat regular basis.

I don't have any experience with the diamond back's, but the statement of only needing it to shoot 7 rounds is a bit disconcerting.

Seven Rounds at a time...

Fair enough. I could take that comment back. Obviously I think that a carry weapon should be one that you have shot enough to be comfortable with. I was suggesting that this gun was designed with a priority on size and weight, quality and durability came second... and it is from a newer manufacture. I bought it knowing this and am not going to put 10,000 rounds through it, but I will always have it in my pocket. 6 and 1.

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville
    I don't understand this logic... So your telling me your just gonna purchase a handgun and never shoot it until you need it? So your gonna bet your life on a gun that you wont shoot? I think you might be confused, i didn't shoot 564 rounds back to back in one session. This was just the round mark that it had broken

I usually want to put at least 500 rounds through a carry gun without having it Fail before i will trust it with my life.

IMO, and my opinion only if you want a pocket gun get lcp, p3at, or a kahr p380, and if your worried about penetration for a .380 use some FMJ's or +P's.

I'll be honest i was really itching for a micro-compact 9mm for deep carry, but with the problems i've seen in such firearms i'll just stick to what works for now

I did misunderstand. I was distracted/impressed by the fact that you new exactly which round you were on over multiple sessions. I have a Walther ppks .380 that I have never had an issue with and I love the gun. It is a glove box queen. It just to heavy for daily carry.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Pink. No wait.....

Just look at all the recalls on here... Firearms Recalls - Ammunition Recalls - The Gun Guy®

Seems to me that a lot of historically good companies have issues too. All gun companies go through it.

Colt only recalled those handguns because they flooded the market with Cool. After the third lawsuit involving a little old lady doing a bad impersonation of the 'Fonz' with a recently purchased Colt, toothpick, and two thumbs up, they recalled several guns in an attempt to "de-Cool" the market.

It utterly failed. So, they settled out of court by sending all the plaintiffs some Colt "shwag" including tshirts, beer koozies, bottle openers, and a limited edition Samuel Colt PEZ dispenser. The plaintiffs dropped all charges and made a public apology.

Seriously. Google it.

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville
    Scott Perrin is a good guy. My front sight popped off (I was trying to cut it down so I would have a normal sight picture) and I lost it. He sent me two extras for free. Good communication with him Via email. My DB9 has been 100% reliable, and I am only getting rid of it because I can carry my chopped Glock 22 or chopped 35 in a Vanguard2 and conceal it just as well as the DB9 in a pocket holster, and I am able to draw easier and carry more rounds. The gun worked great for me though.

How do you have a VG2 already? I didn't think they were even for sale yet?:dunno:

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've got a ZA.....2000+ rounds with no problem. Great little gun. For the OP, I know that the website lists the knurled pins as not available. I called and talked to
    Scott about getting some pins and he just sent me 4 by mail. He also sent me a pack of trigger springs for free. Really great guy. Love the gun!

wiseinvestor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Noblesville
    I've got a ZA.....2000+ rounds with no problem. Great little gun. For the OP, I know that the website lists the knurled pins as not available. I called and talked to
    Scott about getting some pins and he just sent me 4 by mail. He also sent me a pack of trigger springs for free. Really great guy. Love the gun!

I do love the gun. I hope I did not come across as to upset. I emailed Scott and he got back to me very quickly. I just didn't know to do that. I had been on the email waiting list like the website said... and assumed when they got in stock that I would be in line. I did call 3 times over the last several months and got long wait times. I hope my experience will help other fans of this manufacture navigate the growing pains of this new company. I have a Glock 19, XD45, walther ppks .380, an old colt .38, a throw down .38, a browning citori o/u, a remington tactical 870, and an almost never used colt AR-15... and the DB9 is in my pocket.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and help!!!!!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    How do you have a VG2 already? I didn't think they were even for sale yet?:dunno:
    I just saw this, sorry, I got in on a pre-release and ordered one then. They have a thing going on for a few more days where you can pre-order and get free shipping. Check out their website. Glad you got your DB9 fixed up. I still have mine (haven't sold it yet) and it has made its way back into the carry line up recently.

Top Bottom