• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, I was in Acme the other day. They had the Diamondback DB9. I have been looking for a 9 that fits in my front pocket. I have Kahr .40 which is just too big for my pockets. I was considering a Rohrbaugh but have heard so many negatives besides price.

Is the DB9 the smallest 9 besides the Rohrbaugh? From what I have seen it is. The thing is a bundle to keep ahold of, but I can ding an 8" gong offhand at 25 yards with it 2-3 out of 7 times. Not great, but I am not a great shot with a handgun.

The DB9 is actually pretty uncomfortable to shoot imho. It has a glock upper on a kahr lower. At least the upper is almost identical to a glock and the lower mechanism is almost identical to a kahr.

Even though it s uncomfortable, the DB9 will serve its purpose as a cc weapon for me. I put 50 rounds through mine today with one malfunction when I let someone else shoot it and he said beforehand that he was going to limpwrist it. It did fte then, but that is to be expected when someone purposefully does that.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The PM9 is a bit shorter in length (PM9 = 5.3, DB9 = 5.6), is 0.1" wider and the same height. The only true advantage the DB9 has is it is a bit lighter.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I own a PM40 that I can't pocket carry comfortably. I know it is a hair bigger than the PM9. The DB9 is a LOT thinner than the PM40. I do like the way the PM9 and PM40 shoot much better. They are a lot easier to shoot but the trigger pull is similar.

As far as the DB9 vs. the PF9, I think the numbers lie. Here is a picture comparison of the DB9, PF9 and LCP. The DB9 looks a lot shorter than the PF9

Also, in fairness, some gun manufacturers don't measure from the widest points. They fail to include the slide release and such when measuring thickness. The DB9 has no protrusions. I do think that .1" of thickness makes a difference to me in a pocket pistol. That is why I was considering a Rohrbaugh. Or maybe, I am just trying to justify my first cheapy pistol purchase to myself. LOL

DB9:

• Capacity: 6+1 Rounds
    • Weight: 11 Ounces
    • Length: 5.60"
    • Height: 4.00" with mag
    • Width: 0.80"
    • Barrel Length: 3.00"
    • Firing Mechanism: Striker Fire
    • Trigger Pull: DAO 5 lbs
    PF9:

• Calibers: 9mm Luger 9 x 19 mm
    • Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz.
    • Loaded magazine: 5.5 oz.
    • Length: 5.85"
    • Height: 4.3"
    • Width: 0.88"
    • Barrel Length: 3.1"
    • Capacity: 7 + 1
    • Trigger Pull: 5 lbs
    picture.php

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Me too, somehow, I ended up with a PM40 instead of a PM9.

Oh, INGO already compared the two.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxet0n2L_Q0[/ame]

Just what I would say in regards to my PM40. Fit, finish, control all go to Kahr. Concealability goes to DB.

Interstingly enough, they repeately say the DB is smaller and it looks shorter.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How does it compare in size to the Kimber Solo? I was looking at a Solo at a LGS the other day and compared it side by side with my Sig P238 and it was almost the exact same size as the little Sig. If I end up moving to a pocket 9, that's probably the direction I'll go.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    A guy I work with has a DB9 and I have a PM9. They are nearly the same size but the PM9 is a little thicker and significantly heavier. Another difference is that when the trigger is pulled on the PM9, it makes a loud noise and a bullet comes out of it, which often doesnt happen with the DB9. He hates it, its brutal to shoot and he will never be a good shot with it. I carry the PM9 in a Stoner pocket holster in my back pocket from the time I put my pants on tilll I take them off, and I can shoot it. To me thats worth a little more cash and a little more weight. Also, he has spent close to the price difference between the DB9 and Kahrs lower priced version of the PM9 looking for some SD ammo it will work with, and its been back to Diamondback once.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    A guy I work with has a DB9 and I have a PM9. They are nearly the same size but the PM9 is a little thicker and significantly heavier. Another difference is that when the trigger is pulled on the PM9, it makes a loud noise and a bullet comes out of it, which often doesnt happen with the DB9. He hates it, its brutal to shoot and he will never be a good shot with it. I carry the PM9 in a Stoner pocket holster in my back pocket from the time I put my pants on tilll I take them off, and I can shoot it. To me thats worth a little more cash and a little more weight. Also, he has spent close to the price difference between the DB9 and Kahrs lower priced version of the PM9 looking for some SD ammo it will work with, and its been back to Diamondback once.

Wow, hate to hear that about my new pocket pistol. So far, every time I pull the trigger, it has gone bang. However, that has only been 50 times.

Really, price was not a consideration. Especially since I was considering the Rohrbaugh. The only real consideration was actually being able to put the thing in my front pocket. I carried a NAA guardian that way for 8 years. If it drops in my front pocket, I will carry it. If not, it is kind of hit and miss.

Mine is BRUTAL to shoot. Like I said, I can only ring an 8" gong with it 2-3 out of 6 shots. I would never use it for anything other than front pocket carry. I guess time will tell. As I said, I do like Kahr. I have been carrying the PM40 in a DeSantis IWB with a J hook.

BudP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    While somewhat brutal, after your initial "shoot-in" if you're only going to carry it, the DB9 is great. It is noticably smaller in all dimensions than my PF9, although not significantly. The PF9 is also brutal to shoot, but neither - or any other of these guns designed to be small and light for carry purposes - is intended to be used on the range for repetitive target shooting. They both make good pocket guns that are a significant step up from the .380. Interestingly enough, the DB9 isn't all that much larger than the Kel-Tec P3AT (.380) but the 9mmP packs a much more solid punch. I carry mine loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo.

Bud

Top Bottom