Did BATFE just make it illegal to mfg mags over 10 rounds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    So, I have heard some chatter that the BATFE just passed a ruling or regulation that prohibits the mfg of magazines over 10 rounds. Mags under 10 rounds are not affected. Companies can manufacture to meet contracts until Jan 1, after which it would be illegal to manufacture. This would be a back door approach to stopping manufacture, rather than the front door approach of legislation. Has anyone else heard anything? Is this rumor or fact?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Are we going to be flooded by stupid rumors spread by dealers like in 1989?

My favorite from gun dealers in '89 was that Ruger was marketing the Mini-14 as "Mini-14CM" for closed magazine. I watched them sell Mini-14 after Mini-14 using that one.

Which gun shop were you in?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Where did you hear this?

I heard it at a gun counter right after the guy told me that they were going to put chips in each round, the gun, and a ring I'll have to wear in order for the gun to work. That was right before he told me they were doing away with the lifetime concealed carry permit in Indiana. He also told me that the Feds would be coming for my magazines I bought at a gun show, not sure how he knew about it so I guess they've got a list.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Remember this guy when the frenzy is over. He is NOT your friend.

If it wasn't going into the whole Christmas thing, I'd be heading to the shops that were non-friendly before the panic just to do some teasing. Walk in with a stupid look on my face and my credit card in my hand just to laugh at the prices so I can continue spreading the word about who NOT to buy from...ever.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    So, I have heard some chatter that the BATFE just passed a ruling or regulation that prohibits the mfg of magazines over 10 rounds. Mags under 10 rounds are not affected. Companies can manufacture to meet contracts until Jan 1, after which it would be illegal to manufacture. This would be a back door approach to stopping manufacture, rather than the front door approach of legislation. Has anyone else heard anything? Is this rumor or fact?

How can the BATFE prohibit the manufacturing of a legal, non-serialized item that doesn't require an FFL to produce?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    How can the BATFE prohibit the manufacturing of a legal, non-serialized item that doesn't require an FFL to produce?

Melt down all bench vises and tinsnips?

"Self-styled liberal academics and politicians generally suffer an ancient Greek prejudice against the manual trades and often fail to comprehend what it means, with respect to banning weapons, that we're a nation of basement lathe-operators." - L. Neil Smith, 'Armies of Chaos'

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Nobody works on Saturdays in the Federal Government.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but some of us do work Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

SleepTightTonight_zpsc2ee1af3.jpg

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I heard it from a guy who overhead two guys discussing the upcoming cancellation of the lifetime ltch. Then one happened to mention about the BATF ban on 10 plus mags....It went downhill from there............................

Top Bottom