• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    At the last Indy 1500, I bought 1000 primed .308 cases. Sorting through them, some had damage that I wasn't going to try to deal with so I was just tossing them in the trash. After thinking about it, I realize they all had live primers in them. So was this a bad thing to do? FWIW, there were probably 40-50 of them.

Matt

xM3RC1L3SS1x

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Southeast of Indy
    I would have removed them. I'm guessing that they're already at the dump? If so it's to late. If it were me and they were still in my possession, be it trash can inside or outside , I would locate the brass and remove the primers.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Looks like I am going dumpster diving! Sadly won't be the first time. I bought a new pair of shoes and the sales guy offered to toss my old one as I wore the new ones out the door. The next day I realized my custom orthotics were still in the old shoes. Luckily, after 30-40 minutes of digging in a big dumpster, I found them still relatively clean and dry.

Matt

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    At the last Indy 1500, I bought 1000 primed .308 cases. Sorting through them, some had damage that I wasn't going to try to deal with...

Matt

What kind of damage were you not going to try to deal with? 50 out of 1,000 is 5% of your cases. That would bug me.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    What kind of damage were you not going to try to deal with? 50 out of 1,000 is 5% of your cases. That would bug me.

Mostly the necks were damaged to the point I didn't want to attempt pushing the depriming pin through it.
    This was pulled mil brass. I'm guessing the powder and bullet were saved as well but it wasn't very clean internally and didn't know if I could safely tumble it since it was still primed.
    I've loaded a few hundred as is and shot most of that. It cleaned up nicely after shooting.

Matt

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Mostly the necks were damaged to the point I didn't want to attempt pushing the depriming pin through it.
    This was pulled mil brass. I'm guessing the powder and bullet were saved as well but it wasn't very clean internally and didn't know if I could safely tumble it since it was still primed.
    I've loaded a few hundred as is and shot most of that. It cleaned up nicely after shooting.

Matt

Were the necks out of round, dinged up, or seriously crushed, with distinct creases in the metal?

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Mostly crushed. Some of them were somewhat my fault I think. I had loaded some of them but backed off the depriming rod when sizing. For whatever reason the neck sizing cone on the depriming rod was distorting the necks somehow, making them too big OD. I still don't understand what was happening but on the rest I have completely removed the depriming rod so it's no long a problem. The bullets still fit decent so I'm not going to worry about it.

Matt

Top Bottom