• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    ohh no im not saying that, just as a principle

We should not be sending our soldiers to any country for any cause that the politicians are willing to sacrifice themselves or their children over. Instead they send somebody else's children to die for it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I understand what you're trying to say, and IMO, the invasion of Iraq was wrong. However, the US made the case prior to invasion. We were spoonfed a bunch of BS information: the possession if WNDs (which meant nuclear weapons, in violation of treaty), the supposed connection between Saddam and 9/11, and a number of other reasons. Hell, the UN passed a resolution ordering Iraq to disarm or face consequences. Obviously, they couldn't disarm, because they had nothing, but nevertheless they were considered in violation, and the US responded with invasion. In other words, the US acted due to the universal belief (at that time) that Iraq was ignoring international law, re-arming, and possessed WMDs. Given, after Gulf War 1, Iraq had made assurances concerning their behavior, and had actually ignored a number of them, if one was to believe the other allegations, then it's incredibly difficult to say invasion was completely wrong.

There no similarity to the Russian-Ukraine dynamic. The two have not had open hostilities in the near past, there are no sanctions for them to ignore, the treatment of the "ethnic" Russian population isn't even remotely close that of the Kurds in Iraq. Russia hasn't even attempted to give an explaination, concerning their invasion, that doesn't make people roll their eyes, or chuckle in disbelief. They would do well, in the future, by making something plausible up, than invading first, and then scrambling to find reasons to world would accept.

In America, when we want to invade, we make stuff up, have the world believe it, and after the invasion we say "oops." In Russia, they simply invade, and say "so?"
    I would just like to point out, again, that independent of the WMD claim, Iraq had violated the terms of surrender. If compelling the losing nation to comply with the terms of surrender is not a justifiable use of force, what is? Keeping in mind how the world actually operates on the international geopolitical stage and all that. It's the world's version of threatening a time out to the misbehaving child and never giving it. The dear thing learns your threats are meaningless and runs off to do as he pleases. At which point you have the choice to use even more force to bring him back to submission or let him continue in his behavior unabated.

Side bar: if the WMDs were a complete fabrication, then the entire world was hoodwinked as well. A claim I find highly unlikely.

I'd love to agree with you but, regrettably, we are living in the past tense of American greatness. We even have a Commangina-in-Chief who has been apologetic of our (former) greatness and the things we represented during our period of greatness. That was the same period of greatness when we did indeed lead the free world and were a respected and feared superpower. It's great to have national pride but in the eyes of much of the world, including our allies, the wussification of The United States of America is almost complete.
    Hey. No need to insult women by putting us on his level.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since it seems likely that Obama is going to give Crimea to Putin in an attempt to appease him, I can't help but wonder if history will regard this as another Sudetenland.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Since it seems likely that Obama is going to give Crimea to Putin in an attempt to appease him, I can't help but wonder if history will regard this as another Sudetenland.
    Don't worry, there will be peace for our time.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think right now they are in a high level cabinet meeting trying to figure out how they can blame this on Bush.

Easy, "Because Bush set into motion this appeasement, by failing to aid the Georgians in their conflict with Russia over South Ossetia. An empowered Kremlin then took steps to attempt the same in the Crimea. I, your current president, have thwarted the Russians ability to take the whole of the Ukraine, and am working with our international partners to see what action can be used to come to a peaceful solution in this matter."

lol

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    President is pissing himself in fear and incompetence. Even his media is pointing out how weak he's been.

This is dangerous incompetence. This is not the person I want in charge of my safety right now.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    You don't "just" launch ICBMs, lest other nuclear-armed countries think you're shooting first.

In a standard notification procedure under the START treaty, Russia told the United States about the plans before the Ukraine crisis, the officials said.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    President is pissing himself in fear and incompetence. Even his media is pointing out how weak he's been.

This is dangerous incompetence. This is not the person I want in charge of my safety right now.

What is he supposed to do? Go to war with Russia over a divided Ukraine? Or just play a game of chicken with them? Why are we obligated to defend pro-European elements of Ukraine?

Top Bottom