$10

slng028.jpg

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've always used Harris, but have one modified by Alamo Four Star that I really like. I was going to buy another one for an AR, but see they went up quite a bit in price since I bought mine and are now priced at about what an Atlas is. I will either get an Atlas or go with a Harris modified by Larue (which is pretty close to the AFS version, but considerably less expensive).

I may have to play with my friend's Atlas before making a decision.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've always used Harris in the past, and they make a great bipod. That said, I wanted to try an ATLASwhen I recently switched to an AI chassis using the ATLAS spigot mount. I've got to say, I REALLY like the ATLAS. Changing the feet is easy, adding leg extensions is easy, it pans, it swivels, you can extend the legs out, you can extend the legs back, etc.... Is it worth the extra money......? That's up to you. For me, yes.

And as much as I like my ATLAS, my Manfrotto / Pig tripod sees way more use....

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    No offence meant, but Holley crapola, I didn't think they could make a $200 bi-pod let alone a $400 one.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    No offence meant, but Holley crapola, I didn't think they could make a $200 bi-pod let alone a $400 one.

Yeah.

I bought a bipod once. I tried it. I really did. A Harris. It came off the rifle after about a 50 yard walk in the woods. A sling is far better. IMO.

I cannot see the use for any rifle mounted bipod.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I have the GG&G and really like it. $200 for a bipod seems steep until you mount it and realize how much return you're getting on the added weight. For something that solid it weighs next to nothing. It's not necessarily a "precision" rig though. It's kind of beefy and "good enough for everything."

It was a QD mount to picatinny rail. I only wanted to buy one bipod, and just switch it between rifles.
    This reduces the cost considerably.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm surprised Slim didn't post results from his unknown distance shoot where teams took turns shooting targets with a sling then with bipods. The bipod was easier until I had to transition to the 2nd & 3rd target. Tilt & swivel would have helped big time. My Harris couldn't swivel.

I'm glad someone up thread mentioned the TipTop. I've been wanting to try one.

I also really want to hate my cheap UTG because it's a UTG but for just shooting off a bench it can't be beat.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Sling snobs like to tout how effective the sling is for shooting. It's cool to be good at something - especially when it's somewhat exclusive. They'll say stuff like, "What's that thing on the end of your rifle?" or, "I don't need any extra hardware to make good shots." or my personal favorite, "I shoot unsupported."

Then you've got your tripod shooters. They'll hire a Sherpa or take three hours using their little wagon to go back and forth between the car and the place they're shooting. Sometimes I'm not sure if they're hitting targets or photographing a wedding party.

But the bipod guy..... He carries his rifle on his back (using a sling!) and then plops down at the place of his choosing, ready to rock and roll on targets near and far. He is truly light and fast! Truly ready to go! Truly ready to do surveillance or relocate at a moment's notice. Simply put, he's ready for whatever comes his way.

Slings are awesome. I love mine. There's nothing better for making rapid hits on multiple targets at various distances. But I doubt many sling guys have set up on a concrete walk or shingled rooftop and glassed for hours on end. I doubt many have put their sling on real fast to make a shot then taken it off faster to displace. The bipod allows for both. That's where it fits into the mission.

Your gear should fit your needs. If you're out on the grassed humps of Range 5 putting hits on paper at your leisure, by all means, use the USGI websling. It's perfect for that. But if you're going to defend your family from hoards of zombies after the rule of law breaks down I'd encourage you to look into bipod shooting. At the very least use your pack or a rest a few times to see what that's all about.

Don't get pigeonholed into only one style of shooting.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Sling snobs like to tout how effective the sling is for shooting. It's cool to be good at something - especially when it's somewhat exclusive. They'll say stuff like, "What's that thing on the end of your rifle?" or, "I don't need any extra hardware to make good shots." or my personal favorite, "I shoot unsupported."

Then you've got your tripod shooters. They'll hire a Sherpa or take three hours using their little wagon to go back and forth between the car and the place they're shooting. Sometimes I'm not sure if they're hitting targets or photographing a wedding party.

But the bipod guy..... He carries his rifle on his back (using a sling!) and then plops down at the place of his choosing, ready to rock and roll on targets near and far. He is truly light and fast! Truly ready to go! Truly ready to do surveillance or relocate at a moment's notice. Simply put, he's ready for whatever comes his way.

Slings are awesome. I love mine. There's nothing better for making rapid hits on multiple targets at various distances. But I doubt many sling guys have set up on a concrete walk or shingled rooftop and glassed for hours on end. I doubt many have put their sling on real fast to make a shot then taken it off faster to displace. The bipod allows for both. That's where it fits into the mission.

Your gear should fit your needs. If you're out on the grassed humps of Range 5 putting hits on paper at your leisure, by all means, use the USGI websling. It's perfect for that. But if you're going to defend your family from hoards of zombies after the rule of law breaks down I'd encourage you to look into bipod shooting. At the very least use your pack or a rest a few times to see what that's all about.

Don't get pigeonholed into only one style of shooting.

I agree with almost all of this, with the exception of tripods. The reason is that not all shots can be taken from the prone position. For example, I like to hunt with deprivation permits in the summer time. When I'm setting up in soybeans chest high, a bipod is worthless. But by using a tripod, I can set the gun up to shoot from a standing position. In that scenario, it's been a god send. Yes they are somewhat bulky to pack around and a little slow to set up. But the proof is in the pudding, and I've got more venison in the freezer this year after switching to it, than any year in the past without it. And a molle equipped scabbard makes carrying it much easier by stapping it to a pack:
    HOG Saddle Kit Scabbard

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've spent more hours on shingled roofs, tarred roofs, concrete, pavement, asphalt, snow covered ground and mud staring through a rifle scope than I care to think about. There were times when a bipod fit the bill and there were times where I was damned glad to have spent the money on a tripod, no sherpa required.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've spent more hours on shingled roofs, tarred roofs, concrete, pavement, asphalt, snow covered ground and mud staring through a rifle scope than I care to think about. There were times when a bipod fit the bill and there were times where I was damned glad to have spent the money on a tripod, no sherpa required.

My biggest question is why people won't let us do this when it's 68 and partly cloudy? It either has to be 10 below zero or 98 degrees and no shade or cloud in the sky.

I'd like to try a tripod setup. I can probably make something at home for my SLIK just to test it without shelling out a ton of cash for something I don't like. I've been lucky enough to find a way to raise the rifle so far if needed, but a tripod setup would make it nice to not have to rely on looking for **** on scene.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Many truths spoken here about slings, bipods, tripods. My experience stretches back to 1970 as an EOD soldier with a Winchester Model 70 and a sling or a pack to rest the rifle on. I guess the method is now lost, but I carried the sling on my arm and it took about a second to clip it to the rifle. About the same time to deploy a bipod I guess.

I have spent days with the sling always on my left arm. I have never taken a shot on a human target. I have never spent hours behind the scope.

On KD 5 on rifle match days, I am still one walking around with a sling on his arm. I tried to learn to use a bipod when they became available. I tried really hard. God bless you guys that make it work for you.

I have never been deployed in the current wars. I too, firmly believe that we should never be pigeonholed into one type of shooting.

But, if you decide to try the sling there is a way to take it off the rifle, put it on your arm, and have it instantly deployable to steady the rifle. Especially the GI web sling with that spring steel clip.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom