• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swanny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    I've been looking into reloading for awhile now and have read the article here fairly thoroughly. I've pretty much decided on a Hornady LNL Progressive but am struggling with die selection. Here is what I want each station setup as:

1: Size/Decap
    2: Expand/Powder Charge
    3: Powder Check/Lockout Die
    4: Seat
    5: Crimp

For #2 I'll probably use a powderfunnel, #3 an RCBS lockout die but I'm struggling with die's #4 & #5.

Hornady has two options for die sets. Am I better off purchasing the original set and getting a crimp die or getting the new set and purchasing a seat die? ( FYI: I'm looking at doing 9mm & 45 Handgun ammo for now )

Thanks,

Brian

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I will start by saying i only use a single stage press,so maybe i'm missing something but you usually seat and crimp at the same time with the same die.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When you say you are struggling with the seat/crimp (4 & 5), do you mean you are having trouble finding them? The above poster is correct, most dies are made with the seat/crimp in one. I like to seperate the steps in a progressive. For revolvers I do use a crimp. I simply buy an extra die and adjust it out so that the crimp is too far out to touch the case and use only the seater function. In the final stage I back the seater stem out so it cannot touch and use only the crimp function. For semi autos, I do about the same thing, but I use the Dillon final sizing die which I believe is superior to the combination dies that come with most sets. Good Luck

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    I go with the Lee Deluxe Carbine die sets; Use the Lee Decap/sizing die, use the Lee disc powder measure (or the measure that came with the Hornady LNL AP press), the Lee bullet seater, adjusted out to seat only, then the Lee Factory Crimp die to put a taper crimp on the cartridge. Thats what I use.

I have heard Hornady dies criticized for over-working brass, but their current promotions giving away boxes of bullets when you guy their die sets, makes them an attractive alternative, but still way more expensive than the Lee sets... and you get less to boot.

Incidentally, I'm just a casual/plinker with my handgun loads--not a hardball match shooter.--so I'm really not that particular with my handloads as long as they go 'bang' and have similar feel as commercial defensive ammo. (/end disclosure)

YMMV

swanny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    ssblair,

Well their promotions do make it very tempting to pick up an L&L compared to other reloading equipment. I've also been looking at Dillon as well. Last night I found out Andrew has some reloading classes that are not published on his website so I may hop in one of those and get a better feeling about which press to get.

ssblair

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Elkhart County
    In hindsight, I should've given Dillon a look before picking up my LNL AP press. I attended a reloading clinic by Hornady at the National Matches a couple years ago, and have been a Hornady patron since. Last year they had the LNL AP press on sale for a discount at the National Matches and that's where I picked it up. Dillon was not represented there.

The LNL works well, except that 30-06 cartridges need to be manually indexed because the carousel doesn't rotate soon enough on the up-stroke and the bullet collides with the next die body (be it bullet seater or Lee FCD) from the side rather than going into it from the bottom. It's not a big deal, but seems... a little lacking. Otherwise I feel that it is a well-made press.

Top Bottom