• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm looking for a used truck. At least 3/4 ton, preferably 4 door, 4wd, auto. trans. to pull camper and possibly put a snow plow on.
    I've never owned a diesel so I know nothing about them except they're loud and stinky.
    I'll probably be going to check out a 2004 GM Duramax LLY one ton with 200,000 miles soon. Anything I need to look for or be concerned about?
    In general, any concerns about certain diesel trucks?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Makes sure that it's had it's injectors replaced recently. They WILL go bad and it's expensive. I wouldn't buy one that's been aggressively chipped or tuned. The Allison is awesome for stock applications but is no bueno once the power levels get above stock.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Let me preface this by saying that I personally have experience with every major diesel player in this model year (2004), and every maker is hit or miss around this time. Our truck at work was a 2004 Duramax with 160,000 miles.

From (MY) experience, avoid it like the plague. Especially with those miles. At it's peak, my boss was having to replace the injectors in that thing once a month, and it was a $1000 job. He finally offed it in favor of an older 5.9L Cummins. The transmissions (Allison) on the duramax are great, but depending on how the truck was used, there's always something to be done with the engine.

I do not know if you're brand specific, but the 7.3l power strokes and the 5.9l Cummins are across the board regarded as the best diesel engines ever made. If you're looking for older diesels, I'd start there. As for newer diesels, GM and Ford seem to have settled into the 6.6 Duramax and 6.7 powerstroke respectively. They're both doing an excellent job with their diesel engines. Dodge......not so much

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I had a 2007 duramax that I put 60k miles on. I never once replaced injector's. The only major thing I had to do that wasnt my fault was a wheel bearing.

I did have to replace the tranny. I tuned the truck, and within 2000 miles the tranny went boom. I put a suncoast trans in the truck, and drove another 55k miles. If I had to do it again, I would tune again in a heartbeat. I just bought a L5P duramax, and my biggest complaint is no tunes are available yet.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    My parents have a 2006 Duramax. They just spent $1100 to have 1 injector replaced.
    I told them to sell it & pick up a 6.0 or a 8.1 if they can find one. They have a travel trailer that is around 30 foot.

I have a 2003 2500hd with the 6.0, it has enough power, but I would love to find a 8.1 that I could afford. Mine will have 2 plows on it this winter.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Stay away from any truck with the claim of low miles/from Canada. That is all the info I have as I only drove bigger diesels :-/

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I am in central Florida, there are so many super clean rust free stock diesel trucks here, I would make the drive or fly and get a nice one before I would grab a truck that has plowed/pulled and been in salt it's entire life.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    I have no experience with GM or Dodge but I have owned seven (7), 95-97 Ford trucks with the 7.3L Powerstroke and one 2004 with a 6.0L. I currently have a 97 F350 Crew Cab I brought back from AZ last year (I hate rust with a passion). I can't say enough good things about the 7.3L. The only bad thing is that they stopped production in 2003 so the newest 7.3 powered truck is 14 years old. If it were me, I would be looking for a clean, low mileage 2002-2003 F250/F350 with the 7.3L Powerstroke. Look in the South or Southwest. You may have to look for a while and will probably pay a premium for it but it will be worth it. There's a reason anything with the 7.3L brings top dollar.

I like my 4x4 trucks to have a solid front axle and if I were going to put a plow on something I wouldn't consider a GM with the IFS. That is just my opinion. Again, this is only opinion and personal preference and is not a slam on GM's IFS system.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Diesel isn't as loud and stinky as it used to be, but it's also much more complicated and costs more to maintain. ULSD fuel doesn't have the same lubricating qualities as the old diesel fuel, so plan to run an additive if you buy an older one. Maintenance is more expensive, fuel is more expensive, fuel economy gains aren't what they used to be, etc.

Depending on how heavy the camper is, I'd look hard at sticking with gas...especially if it isn't going to be a dedicated tow rig.

A 7.3L was the last diesel I owned...and it will always be the last diesel I owned.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Diesel isn't as loud and stinky as it used to be, but it's also much more complicated and costs more to maintain. ULSD fuel doesn't have the same lubricating qualities as the old diesel fuel, so plan to run an additive if you buy an older one. Maintenance is more expensive, fuel is more expensive, fuel economy gains aren't what they used to be, etc.

Depending on how heavy the camper is, I'd look hard at sticking with gas...especially if it isn't going to be a dedicated tow rig.

A 7.3L was the last diesel I owned...and it will always be the last diesel I owned.
    Thanks for all the replays so far. It's given me some good information.
    BBI, I do prefer gas, it just seems when looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton, 4WD, 4 door, the majority are diesel. I can't afford much considering this truck will mostly be used just for pulling a camper. Our current camper, loaded, probably tops out around 6,000 pounds so I'm sure a gas truck would be fine if I can just find one cheap enough. I was very close to getting one that was for sale here in the classifieds, but after a week or so of delays, was told the seller decided to keep it.
    I'll keep looking, and if anyone knows of a good truck for sale, please keep me in mind.
    Thanks!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for all the replays so far. It's given me some good information.
    BBI, I do prefer gas, it just seems when looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton, 4WD, 4 door, the majority are diesel. I can't afford much considering this truck will mostly be used just for pulling a camper. Our current camper, loaded, probably tops out around 6,000 pounds so I'm sure a gas truck would be fine if I can just find one cheap enough. I was very close to getting one that was for sale here in the classifieds, but after a week or so of delays, was told the seller decided to keep it.
    I'll keep looking, and if anyone knows of a good truck for sale, please keep me in mind.
    Thanks!

FWIW, my 1/2 Ram is rated to tow 10,500 lb. I know it's not as capable as a 3/4 ton, but it's also not a dedicated tow rig so I like the ride, lower cost of maintenance, etc. The cost of ball joints in a Super Duty about made me cry. I'm not trying to talk you out of a diesel, just if you've never had one know what you're getting into. I hope you find a good deal on a truck that will work for you and you like. :)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    How far and how often are you planning on pulling the camper? 50 miles one-way a few times a year? About any V8 gas truck will do. My 03 Dodge with the little 4.7 V8 and 175,000 miles pulled a 6,000 lb camper 50 miles a lot better than I expected.

If you really plan on using it a lot, the 3/4 ton would bea better option though.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    I was a diesel guy but couldn't leave the truck alone long enough to drive it. It had hopped up and I was always having problems with it (6.0 powerstroke) after I got rid of that truck I hunted down an 8.1L chevrolet and I haven't looked back. My truck is an 04 with 118k miles. I like diesel trucks and the torque they provide, but they are just so much more complicated than a gasser. If I did ever get another diesel truck it would have to have a lifetime powetrain warranty.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    It wouldnt be a bad buy as long as its stock or stock with an exhaust system. Lb7 (2001-2004) duramax's had some pretty serious injector problems. Other than those years there wernt any serious issues. Just be mindfull of how the truck was maintained. Chances are if it looks like its been rode hard and put up wet, it has. They get mistreated pretty bad by people who think theyre hot rods, then get a bad wrap because they break because of misuse or they were poorly maintained. As far as the ifs goes, i wouldnt have a problem sticking any size plow on it. Ball joints and wheel bearings go out just as quickly on solid axle trucks, and with a good air hammer, ifs can be rebuilt in a couple hours. Just use your instincts when shopping for trucks.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    Too easy to tune and build while getting great hp/tq. I knew what I was getting in to when I started modifying. I just no longer want to travel down that road. It was a fun one though.

Top Bottom