• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    without even seeing this bad boy, I would go ahead and remove valve covers, replace the dummy plug, and stand pipes.. they probably are the 10mm allen head ones. the newest dummy n plugs are 12 mm with teflon backup o-rings...

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Chances are its not the HPOP.. the cast pumps are much much stronger than the first gen alumi's... although, the fitting on the rear of the pump may be an issue.. I have yet to confirm though its all 07's have the updated one piece STC fitting...

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Just took the truck back out...

When I started it around 7:00 today it took about 7 seconds (my count) (88's count was 4) to start. Usually it is 1 or two. Pretty sure ICP pressure built as the crank went on and finally lit in the 500 to 550 range.

Went back out at about 10:45 after CTC B4Zs comment on IPR duty cycle. I was not able to find this in the CTS PID menu. I have injector pulse width, ICP pressure, and ICP voltage, but I will look again tomorrow morning on way into work.

This time it did fire in about 2 seconds. ICP came right to 500. Let it warm up and did a couple of WOT runs. ICP pegs at 4200 PSIA and ICP voltage is about 4.8volts.

Brought it home, shut if off and tried to start it again. It started right up in less than a second.

No codes. No smoke. I'll put the batteries on the battery tender tomorrow and check again tomorrow night when I get home from work and the truck is cold again.

My initial thought was glow plugs, but internet searching showed that not to be common problem, and I was getting no codes. Checked harness for signs of melting, but it looked pretty good.

Stand pipes and dummy plugs are a good idea and they need to upgraded anyway.

If this were the STC fitting, I should just have no start correct?

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    With the engine off, the batt. Volttage, should be around 12.6-13.2. Not saying they are bad, but if you can, charge them for at least a couple hours, and then test. Drive, and then let set over nite, and test batt., again. See what the Voltage is then. If it drops, then the batt., are not HOLDING charge.... :twocents:

Minor issue. Fully charged 12V batteries are at 12.6 V at 32 degrees Farenheit, anything less is a "surface charge that could indicate failing plates.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    no STC's work just like everything else in the system, they gradually fail.. usually starts off by an extended crank while hot, then as the o-ring erodes more and more, the longer the crank until it finally blows out and it never starts again.. Like I said though, I have seen some 07's already have the updated one piece fitting, so im unsure on if they all did.. There is no breakdown for that upgrade, you just have to pull the cover and chance it...

I think one rail is leaking down, but just a bit though... the dummy plugs i know for sure are about due for a change, rarely the standpipes blow out, but its one of those while your there....

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    no STC's work just like everything else in the system, they gradually fail.. usually starts off by an extended crank while hot, then as the o-ring erodes more and more, the longer the crank until it finally blows out and it never starts again.. Like I said though, I have seen some 07's already have the updated one piece fitting, so im unsure on if they all did.. There is no breakdown for that upgrade, you just have to pull the cover and chance it...

I think one rail is leaking down, but just a bit though... the dummy plugs i know for sure are about due for a change, rarely the standpipes blow out, but its one of those while your there....

CTC B4Z you have been a huge help! Thank you. I have set of updated stand pipes and dummy plugs on the way. Are the valve cover gaskets on these things re-usable, or should I order a set of those as well?

One last question........for now. The 6.4 banjo bolt upgrade. What does that do supposedly and where does it go?

Last edited:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    VC gaskets are re-useable.

No need for the banjo bolts, but if your feeling a bit bored I gues you could throw them in... Look through the belt on the passenger side and you should see a solid fuel line thats bolted to the head, thats one of them, the other side is kinda hidden.

basically the 6.4 bolt are hollow where the 6.0 ones have a valve inside. the valve is absolutely useless and over time and if not proper fuel system cleaniness, they have break into pieces and get mixed up in the injectors, cause blockage... I just dug a set out of the international version of this engine today. but it was too late it damaged the injectors...

for future ref, just PM me....

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    With the engine off, the batt. Volttage, should be around 12.0-13.2. Not saying they are bad, but if you can, charge them for at least a couple hours, and then test. Drive, and then let set over nite, and test batt., again. See what the Voltage is then. If it drops, then the batt., are not HOLDING charge.... :twocents:

+1 Those batteries should not be below 13vdc and the charging voltage should be between 13.8 - 15vdc. A good battery will not drop below 10.5vdc while under load.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    And deny the INGO Ford bashers their fun? Kill joy.

:):)

You rang?? :D

5E187DBD-0CCE-4F4C-8127-0D483135F82E-9207-00000A9052BC3863_zps58b92fcf.jpg

Top Bottom