• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I am wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the different offering from Savage. I do not quite grasp what the difference is between the Axis series and the 110/10 series or other rifles. The price point is quite different but aside from that, I have not had much luck distinguishing all of Savage's offerings. I hope this question is not too "noob"ish.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    My understanding is that the two biggest differences are the lack of the Accutrigger and that the Axis series uses a different stock (which means that some aftermarket items for the Savage rifles will not work with the Axis platforms.)

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Study up

Spend some time on the Savage website. They used to have a breakdown of what all the alpha designations meant (for example: 12FV - 12 is a varmint model designation, F means flimsy "tupperware" stock, V means heavy barrel) but I think that info has been replaced by the "Gun Finder" section. It will tell you about all you need to know.

Savage Arms

They also have a section where you can browse all their models.

Last edited:

Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have looked on the Savage website extensively without any sort of explanation regarding number series or letter designation. That is why I turned to the knowledgable shooters in this forum. Thanks to any that can provide any sort of info regarding model differentiation.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have looked on the Savage website extensively without any sort of explanation regarding number series or letter designation. That is why I turned to the knowledgable shooters in this forum. Thanks to any that can provide any sort of info regarding model differentiation.

Can you be more specific as to which designations are you curious about?

From pg 67 of their catalog (available on the site):

AK - AdJustABLe MuZZLe BrAKe
    B - LAMinAte stocK
    BT - LAMinAted thuMBhoLe stocK
    C - cLip (detAchABLe Box MAgAZine)
    F - synthetic stocK
    G - hArdWood stocK
    H - hinged fLoorpLAte
    l - Left hAnd
    Ml - MuZZLeLoAder
    NS - no sights
    P - poLice
    SS - stAinLess steeL
    T - (r Mi fire) peep sights
    V - Long-rAnge (heAvy BArreL)
    XP - pAcKAge gun
    Y - youth

Pages 66 - 72 give a breakdown of the features on each model.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Axis comes in long action only. The rather flimsy stock is pretty much set up for iron sight usage, and the bbl is not set up for iron sights. There are no aftermarket stocks. There are aftermarket triggers, but putting a $70 trigger on a $250 rifle seems silly.
    Getting a scope low enough to use the stock as is, requires some bolt scalloping.

I had one, redid the stock, trigger and bolt and it shot pretty darn good. But even though it fit and functioned better, it still overall felt pretty bad.

Depending on what scope you get, you might need a single scope base with multiple cross slots. I used the 2 pc Weaver bases and flipped them so the slots were inward, and I barely got a Redfielf 4-12X to fit. Of course at that time the only base that gave placement options was from EGW and $40.

I think a Stevens 200 ( a no frills Savage 110) a much better way to go.

Having said that, I think the Axis is usable, with tweaking. It is cheap, but it's not a turd like the Rem 770.

I scored a like new 700 ADL so that's my truck gun now. Much better feeling rig, even in cheap synth version, IMHO.

Top Bottom