Difficulty finding load data (115gr plated/unique)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm trying to load some berry's plated 115gr 9mm projectiles. I am having a difficult time finding any data for the powder I intend to use (unique).

I have found 115 gr JHP loads of varying max weights. I am resetting everything up, and cannot find my old data sets...so I figure better to be safe than sorry.

Max on alliant's site for a speer gold dot is 6.3gr, according to my lyman 49th max load is 5.8. Deducting 10% gets me to a 5.67gr max per alliant, or a 5.22gr max per lyman 49th.

I am uncertain on where to proceed, I remember what I loaded last time failed to cycle the slide reliably (possibly working up way to low...again BSTS). Should I basically work from an effective range of 4.7gr (fairly certain this did not work reliably) to 5.2gr and proceed carefully? Or is there another source for unique powder that I can look at for info on 115gr FMJ/hard cast boolits to work up a load from?

I am trying to use up the remainder of this pound of unique (used for my 45 I traded a bunch) and will then move to something more appropriate for 9mm....

Thanks!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Looking @ the Alliant book, for Unique, they list 5.5 as max for a 115 gr jacketed bullet and to reduce by 10% to start...

Never used the berry's 115gr, but have loaded the RN rainier and found 4.8 to stay well below 1200 FPS ( what some manufactures suggest for plated) and function in every 9mm platform we own...

If your profile is the RN, I found the OAL of 1.135 to fit all my chambers and feeding was flawless...

A couple years ago, we switched from the Rainier 115 gr RN to the Berry's 124 gr FP and have been happier... Currently, I still use Unique more than anything else...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Loaddata lists loads using a 115gr at the highest of 6.3grs, they say that data comes from the Speer Reloading Manual. So like you found, 6.3 seems to be pretty much max, which to be honest I'm surprised you can put that much in a 9mm. I use 4.7gr of Red Dot and that seems to fill it pretty full.

Anyway, you should be fine with your load, I think a lot of it depends on the gun you're shooting it through. Which is a....?

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    My Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition says:
    120gr bullet, 1.065" OAL
    Powder: Unique

Starting grns: 4.0
    Velocity: 1013
    Pressure (CUP): 26,500

Max Load: 5.0
    Velocity: 1194
    Pressure (CUP): 32,800

Hope that helps get you started.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    image.jpg Not sure if I got the pic uploaded correctly or not from my phone. Sierra 5th 115gr FMJ starting 4.9 to 6.6 for Unique COAL 1.100

Top Bottom