• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I'm looking for a digitsl scale. I was going to pick up the Hornady 1500 scale at Profire, but I looked at the reviews and tgey were pretty awful.

Any recommendations? Or ones I should cross off the list?

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Eh, for production pistol loads the Hornady cheapo scale is pretty okay.

Initially I wasn't happy with mine because I thought it was weighing charges inconsistently. But after troubleshooting I found the fan from my computer was blowing near it, and I wasn't giving it enough time to stabilize. Also, my powder thrower was giving inconsistent charges, the scale was reading them correctly. After correcting the issues, the scale has been just fine. ...until my cat sat on it and broke it. It doesn't handle being dropped or overloaded. Bought another one and ran out a couple hundred rounds.

I've never had the more expensive scales, I used to use a beam scale but I dropped and broke it. Bought the cheapo Hornady and like I said above, once I figured out the issues causing the inconsistent readings it's been okay.

I wouldn't trust it for precision load development or maximum loads. But for high production plinking pistol ammo, it does just fine.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Also may I add if you get the Hornady 1500, it comes with a set of batteries. Remove and dispose of them. Put a set of quality brand name batteries in. You'll be much happier. I had some issues with inconsistent readings as stated in the post above, but noted greater precision with good batteries. I've never worn down a set of batteries in mine but I'll change em out every 6 months or so. The used batteries still have sufficient charge for use in a flashlight or whatever else, I just don't trust the scale with batteries that may not be delivering the full charge.

That's part of the reason I'm a fan of this scale is it doesn't have an ac/dc adapter which on a cheaper scale may introduce some "noise" that can interfere with your readings. It may just be my own "whatif" but I'm happy with it, especially for the price. If I had $400 to spend on a digital scale, I might go for one of the nicer ones from RCBS or the load station from Hornady. Although one's safety may justify the price for one of those scales, I load middle ground pistol plinking loads, and as I said above, I wouldn't trust that scale for max loads or precision loads. I also wouldn't run max/precision loads on my progressive press without weighing each charge.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    I bought an eBay special 10 gram. if you go that route get at least the 20gram it's $3 more I think 21 shipped and watch the sensitivity some only do whole grains. The biggest downfall is the 60sec timeout.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I would recommend buying two scales: one expensive nice one and one cheepo one. I also double-check when dialing in my powder drop.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I'm going to get dogpiled for this but oh well....i use a cheapo Frankfort arsenal scale, has worked fine for the past year with all my loads.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have this:
    Jennings Mack 20
    not something I see many in the reloading world with but I am very happy with it.

I also have a beam scale that I use just to make sure everything is honest.

I also have this one. I like it a lot and customer service from Oldwillknottscales is superb. I am new into reloading so I am no expert, but I think it's a nice scale. Levels up nicely, seems repeatable, and the clear cover keeps it clean.

Top Bottom