• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Well, since I've got some time off work and with Christmas coming up, I've been debating getting into the progressive press life. That said, I'm stumped between 2 presses. I don't shoot enough to justify the cost of the Dillon XL650, but I'm so tired of reloading pistol on a single stage. I know many of you know the horror that comes with that.

The two I'm really looking at are the Dillon 550b and the Hornady LnL Progressive. The Dillon only being $50 more, I can justify.

I know the 550b isn't auto-progressive, which is fine with me, it's still going to be way faster than on a single stage. What I'm looking for is something that's not finicky (like the Lee), primes well every time, and where the powder drop is pretty accurate and reliable. Already having Lee dies, can I use these on the 550b? I know on the Square Deal B you have to have those special Dillon dies and crap...

I'd like to hear pro's and con's for both from experienced reloaders like yourselves rather than the people on Amazon who are just getting into it.

Thanks for your insight!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Weve got 2 550's. Lee dies will work fine, about the only issue I have is sometimes the primer slide will stick.
    There are a few threads up in the sticky area, read those about
    the maintainace for the 550

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Weve got 2 550's. Lee dies will work fine, about the only issue I have is sometimes the primer slide will stick.
    There are a few threads up in the sticky area, read those about
    the maintainace for the 550

I take apart, clean, oil and grease my single stage about once or twice a year, how often does the dillon need maintenanced?

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    About 200,000 rds on my first 550 and it's never been apart. I grease the pins and oil the rod without disassembly. I do clean the primer slide when I change from large to small primers, and don't overtighten the primer base screws.

Honestly though once I got a 650's the 550's have mostly sat. And I'm sure after i get the 1050 going the 650's will too.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    happyreloaderBlue.gif

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I take apart, clean, oil and grease my single stage about once or twice a year, how often does the dillon need maintenanced?

Honestly, were had ours up for a couple of years and the only thing we've really done besides the initial lube is to clean the primer slide.
    We had an old lee turret press, its been gone for awhile now, and a couple of RCBS Rock Chuckers, which we still use. I should have bought blue back in the early 90's, the no bull warranty is worth it

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know there is a thread here and I think its pro Hornady based on life and a few other things... I however can't comment as I've never used one. I have a 550, and I am very pleased. Caliber change is a breeze and it does everything I need it to. For me it's alway seated the primers without issue, and the powder drop has been perfectly consistent for me. Also their customer service has been fantastic! That is what everyone says about Dillon, and I had an issue with the cartridge spring out of the box (basically a paper clip) and they just sent me a new one, no questions asked. I was happy!

coban

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I also have the 550 and have no complaints with it other than the primer slide sticking occasionally. I use mostly Lee dies with it and they work fine.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I've owned both the Hornady LNL Auto-progressive and the Dillon 55b presses.

For my reloading needs the Dillon is the superior press.

I wrote about the LNL press in this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ornady-lnl-press-right-decision-pic-heav.html

In summary, I find the Dillon press produces rounds with a more consistent overall length, the powder drop is surprisingly accurate, and it has fewer operational issues. Additionally, the Dillon press will hold it used price better and will sell faster if you choose to upgrade in the future.

Happy reloading!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a a 550b and a couple older ProJector presses (the new LnL is a better press than those).

Overall, I like the Dillon much more. It's a lot more compact press, I like the manual indexing, I feel like I have more control for seating the primer, and it seems to run without many headaches.

I think I like the Hornady powder drop system more though, seems to run a touch smoother and more accurate, especially with stick powders. That being said, I reload plinking ammo, not target loads on the progressives so having .2gr difference sometimes between charges is no big deal to me.

As as said above, Dillon hold its value better.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Probably the BEST Reply...

I've owned both the Hornady LNL Auto-progressive and the Dillon 55b presses.

For my reloading needs the Dillon is the superior press.

I wrote about the LNL press in this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ornady-lnl-press-right-decision-pic-heav.html

In summary, I find the Dillon press produces rounds with a more consistent overall length, the powder drop is surprisingly accurate, and it has fewer operational issues. Additionally, the Dillon press will hold it used price better and will sell faster if you choose to upgrade in the future.

Happy reloading!

^^^I remember when LMW posted this awhile back--VERY good write up..HA..So much that I donated to His new 550 parts supply..

I also go with the RL550+am more than happy with using it for all my handgun loads..Bill.

PS: You WILL like the Dillon Dies better--Especially if you load lead bullets--Easy take-down to clean+will NOT loose adjustments, like any other die brand..

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    ^^^I remember when LMW posted this awhile back--VERY good write up..HA..So much that I donated to His new 550 parts supply..

I also go with the RL550+am more than happy with using it for all my handgun loads..Bill.

PS: You WILL like the Dillon Dies better--Especially if you load lead bullets--Easy take-down to clean+will NOT loose adjustments, like any other die brand..

Between him and Evan, that family has cost me well over $2k since I joined INGO in '09. :facepalm:

I'm a Dillion owning, multiple M&P carrying, bio-belt wearing, Peltor using, ZT carrying, NFA lovin', Big Green Egg lustin', also-love-your-woods, Rice family fanboy.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

I clean the primer bar every 500 rounds on my 550. that's all the maintenance I have done other than squirt some oil on the arm pivots and ram rod every now and then. est. 150k rounds on my 550.

no experience with the Horn presses, but I've known lots of guys who have sold their other presses to go Dillon, but none who have gone the other way...

-rvb

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Thanks for all of the replies and great information from LMW. I repped everyone I could, especially him for his write up on the issues and experience with the Hornady which pretty much summed up what I wanted to know.

I've not heard anything bad about the Dillon (of course noone ever does lol)

Thanks again INGO!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You're right ck....BUT....

Thanks for all of the replies and great information from LMW. I repped everyone I could, especially him for his write up on the issues and experience with the Hornady which pretty much summed up what I wanted to know.

I've not heard anything bad about the Dillon (of course noone ever does lol)

Thanks again INGO!

The ONLY negative that I have ever seen on the Dillon are two things:
    1. Some have had problems with the primer system==U-Tubes on these repairs.
    2. IF and ONLY if you do NOT pay attention, you can Double Charge a case. This ONLY happens if you pull the handle TWICE before you rotate the shell holder plate. To me this is TOTALLY Operator Error.

^^^If you get yourself a 'System" this #2 will NOT happen...Bill.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    The ONLY negative that I have ever seen on the Dillon are two things:
    1. Some have had problems with the primer system==U-Tubes on these repairs.
    2. IF and ONLY if you do NOT pay attention, you can Double Charge a case. This ONLY happens if you pull the handle TWICE before you rotate the shell holder plate. To me this is TOTALLY Operator Error.

^^^If you get yourself a 'System" this #2 will NOT happen...Bill.

Yeah, I can't see the double charge happening without complete negligence. I used a buddy's Lee progressive once last year... which to be honest wasn't horrible, it just took about 30 minutes to get set up right and he was telling me about all of the parts that broke, which is the main reason I am looking towards the dillon. But anyways, he said it would double charge if you went halfway up and back down, had to do a full stroke both ways, otherwise you'd have problems. Which I know this would do the same, but I really like the idea behind the manual indexing because I can go at a speed that's much faster than I'm used to, yet still slow enough to stay safe and remember to check powder charges and c.o.l.

An auto progressive would be really nice... but I'm lucky to shoot 1k pistol rounds a year anymore. This year I think I probably shot about 700. One reason I really want something faster is because when friends ask if I want to go, I'd like to be able to load some ammo within the couple of hours I have in between jobs. At least 100 to blow at the range, which I know the dillon, even though it's manual indexing, will do in pretty much no time flat.

I'll look up that primer system on youtube. The priming is something I'm really excited about, so hopefully mine won't have any issues, or at least be easy to fix.

Thanks.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Dillon..

My father reloaded back in the 70's. He bought a 550 when Dillon first introduced them. "Wow, a progressive press" I continue to use the same press which has been upgraded many times.

On a business trip to Phoenix I stopped by the Dillon facility on the north side of Phoenix. (Scottsdale, to be exact.) The retail store is small, but full of all things Blue. I needed a few items. My customer info as well as my dad's was still in their database. One of the big VP's came out to say hello and thank me for continuing to use the Dillon product over the years.

It was a great experience. Just a top notch company with excellent products and customer service. I won't go anywhere else.

Top Bottom