• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    I bought my father in law a set of Dillon dies for his .40 S&W. We do not have a progressive press yet, but I figured they would work fine until we get one. Thing is I am not sure we can use these dies since they did not come with a flaring die just a sizer/decapper, seater, and crimp die. How does a guy go about using these?

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I too believe you are boned. On the dillon sets, you get a powder die, then you get an adapter in your conversion kit. That adapter flares the case, and also acts as a proper size powder drop doo-hinky.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    To use these dies in a single stage press would require a Dillon 450 powder die and the proper powder funnel. (pricey at 21.95 + ship. powder funnel extra) See the Blue Press- March- page 13. Lower right corner. Or, pick up a cheap set of any manufacture dies and use the belling die from them. Edit to add indygunguy has a better answer.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    You can order a universal expander die I think lee has one. The other problem you will have is that the Dillon dies don't have locking lock nuts on them. So you will have to reset the dies every time. The quick cure for that is to order lock rings with a set screw in them. Dillon dies are great dies but they are made for a Dillon press set up.

Top Bottom